Author Topic: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season  (Read 46213 times)

Re: NFL 2023-24 Off-Season
« Reply #330 on: March 27, 2024, 08:10:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So now I guess the new kickoff rules is there are no more fair catches and more attempts at returning for TD. And only the kicker and returner can move before the ball lands or is caught by the R, while the rest of the players remain lined up or frozen until it happens.

Copied the XFL on this. I'll miss the days of Devin Hester doing those iconic tough return TDs. NFL wants to promote more scoring. Would be interesting to see how those line of players being trained to react once the ball is caught or landed.

What about onside kicks? Waiting for the ball to  hit the ground or hit a player changes that play significantly.  And who is the returner in that case — if the ball is kicked between two players and both move to the ball

You can alert the referee and line up for an on sides kick. Kind of like lining up for a 2 point conversion.

Yep.  So, it pretty much eliminates the surprise onside kick, but that only seemed to happen a couple of times per season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #331 on: March 27, 2024, 09:59:18 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
So now I guess the new kickoff rules is there are no more fair catches and more attempts at returning for TD. And only the kicker and returner can move before the ball lands or is caught by the R, while the rest of the players remain lined up or frozen until it happens.

Copied the XFL on this. I'll miss the days of Devin Hester doing those iconic tough return TDs. NFL wants to promote more scoring. Would be interesting to see how those line of players being trained to react once the ball is caught or landed.

What about onside kicks? Waiting for the ball to  hit the ground or hit a player changes that play significantly.  And who is the returner in that case — if the ball is kicked between two players and both move to the ball

You can alert the referee and line up for an on sides kick. Kind of like lining up for a 2 point conversion.

With the fun caveat that lining up for an inside kick and doing a normal kick instead results in the other team getting the ball at the kicking team's 20 (which is probably the biggest penalty rule I've ever seen). So there's no surprise squib kicks allowed either, and I guess the receiving team will be able to have 11 players up to field the inside try instead on needing to leave a returner back.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #332 on: March 27, 2024, 10:15:47 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
They need to do something about the QBs. You breathe on a QB and that's a 15-yard penalty. Everyone scared of tackling Patrick Mahomes. We need guys who aren't afraid to dive on Mahomes' knees the same way TJ Ward dove on Gronk.

I don't want people trying to injure QBs, but I would love roughing the passer calls to be reviewable and a rule against the "pretend to duck out of bounds but then take another few steps and reach for the first down" crap that some QBs do. Get rid of some of the loopholes.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #333 on: March 27, 2024, 10:32:56 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
They need to do something about the QBs. You breathe on a QB and that's a 15-yard penalty. Everyone scared of tackling Patrick Mahomes. We need guys who aren't afraid to dive on Mahomes' knees the same way TJ Ward dove on Gronk.

I don't want people trying to injure QBs, but I would love roughing the passer calls to be reviewable and a rule against the "pretend to duck out of bounds but then take another few steps and reach for the first down" crap that some QBs do. Get rid of some of the loopholes.

Honestly I think pretending to go out of bounds and then not doing so should be a 5-yard penalty, similar to that for an invalid fair catch signal.

« Reply #334 on: March 27, 2024, 02:31:44 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I’d like to see the “In the grasp” rule enforced again.

The Referee must blow the play dead as soon as the passer is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler behind the line, and the passer’s safety is in jeopardy.

This rule seems to have been forgotten ever since a call involving Dak Prescott was blown a few years ago when Dak had been wrapped up by his own teammate.

Numerous times over the past 2-3 years I’ve seen the quarterback firmly in the grasp of the defender, who’s clearly waiting for the whistle to blow and not trying to face-plant the quarterback. The quarterback manages to break free and turns a potential sack into a big gain. Often demoralizing the defense.

This no-call benefits guys like Lamar, Mahomes, Allen and Fields the most. I’m not talking about a QB that extends the play by slipping or dodging an attempt where a defender gets a hand on a shoulder pad and they spin out or pull away from it. I’m talking about both hands around the waist and the QB is stumbling to keep from going down and isn’t running forward, then suddenly breaks free.

It would also help prevent what happens to a player like Tua, that ended up concussed after the defender threw him down. On at least one of those he was in the grasp and either should have gone down or had the whistle blown. Josh Allen had a nearly identical situation to Tua’s but managed to break free and gain 20 yards on a 3rd and 18 play that should have been called a sack. The only difference is Josh is 4 inches taller and 25 lbs heavier and the defender for whatever reason didn’t face plant him.

TLDR: If the defender is afraid of a roughing the passer penalty, then the QB shouldn’t benefit from that. The whistle should end the play when the QB is in the grasp.

« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2024, 04:50:53 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
I’d like to see the “In the grasp” rule enforced again.

The Referee must blow the play dead as soon as the passer is clearly in the grasp and control of any tackler behind the line, and the passer’s safety is in jeopardy.

This rule seems to have been forgotten ever since a call involving Dak Prescott was blown a few years ago when Dak had been wrapped up by his own teammate.

Numerous times over the past 2-3 years I’ve seen the quarterback firmly in the grasp of the defender, who’s clearly waiting for the whistle to blow and not trying to face-plant the quarterback. The quarterback manages to break free and turns a potential sack into a big gain. Often demoralizing the defense.

This no-call benefits guys like Lamar, Mahomes, Allen and Fields the most. I’m not talking about a QB that extends the play by slipping or dodging an attempt where a defender gets a hand on a shoulder pad and they spin out or pull away from it. I’m talking about both hands around the waist and the QB is stumbling to keep from going down and isn’t running forward, then suddenly breaks free.

It would also help prevent what happens to a player like Tua, that ended up concussed after the defender threw him down. On at least one of those he was in the grasp and either should have gone down or had the whistle blown. Josh Allen had a nearly identical situation to Tua’s but managed to break free and gain 20 yards on a 3rd and 18 play that should have been called a sack. The only difference is Josh is 4 inches taller and 25 lbs heavier and the defender for whatever reason didn’t face plant him.

TLDR: If the defender is afraid of a roughing the passer penalty, then the QB shouldn’t benefit from that. The whistle should end the play when the QB is in the grasp.

QB-driven league. Hence why I am in favor of defensive players just smothering QBs hard. Particularly on those QBs who has the combination of efficient throwing and running.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #336 on: April 01, 2024, 03:52:31 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Wow, former NFL CB Vontae Davis was found dead at a residence in a South Florida home.

Condolences.

« Reply #337 on: April 02, 2024, 12:57:43 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Not an April Fool's joke- former Eagles QB Carson Wentz signs one-year deal with Kansas City Chiefs

« Reply #338 on: April 03, 2024, 10:57:42 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
23s
Blockbuster: Bills are finalizing a trade to send four-time Pro-Bowl WR Stefon Diggs to the Houston Texans for draft-pick compensation, sources tell ESPN.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #339 on: April 03, 2024, 11:13:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
23s
Blockbuster: Bills are finalizing a trade to send four-time Pro-Bowl WR Stefon Diggs to the Houston Texans for draft-pick compensation, sources tell ESPN.

Wow.  Josh Allen loses his top two receivers, and the Bills have no running game to speak of.  Talk about wasting an elite QB's prime.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2024, 11:19:47 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
23s

Wow.  Josh Allen loses his top two receivers, and the Bills have no running game to speak of.  Talk about wasting an elite QB's prime.

Here's the compensation.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
18m
Compensation updates, per sources:

🏈Bills receive 2025 second-round pick via Minnesota.

🏈Texans receive Stefon Diggs and a 2024 sixth-round pick and a 2025 fifth-round pick.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #341 on: April 03, 2024, 11:20:13 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
23s

I seem to be in the minority on this but I think the impact of the diva #1 receivers is overrated.  KC traded Hill and didn't miss a beat.  Give Josh Allen an above average offensive line and average receiving core and they will be fine.

I think you need to look at the receivers as a group, much like you do the offensive line, not necessarily just on who the best receiver is.  I don't know enough about BUF's roster to say what their 5 or 6 receivers look like, or who they will have running the ball, but I don't think a team needs a diva receiver to give a good QB a chance to win.

« Reply #342 on: April 03, 2024, 11:44:46 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Allen might be happy the way Diggs acted last couple of years
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #343 on: April 11, 2024, 04:10:30 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Tom says he's willing to come back, Jordan style, if a team came calling. The NFL won't let him though, once he's an owner.

Tom Brady, back again?

During an appearance on the “DeepCut Podcast” this week, the quarterback was asked if he’d be inclined to answer the phone this year if a team gave him a call about a potential return.

He was asked first about the 49ers, and added the Patriots and Raiders himself before responding.

“I’m not opposed to it. I don’t know if they’re going to let me if I become an owner of an NFL team. But I don’t know if — I don’t know,” he said. “I’m always going to be in good shape, always be able to throw the ball. So, to come in for a little bit, like [Michael Jordan] coming back; I don’t know if they would let me, but I wouldn’t be opposed to it.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/04/11/sports/tom-brady-nfl-return/
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #344 on: April 11, 2024, 04:40:58 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Tom says he's willing to come back, Jordan style, if a team came calling. The NFL won't let him though, once he's an owner.

Tom Brady, back again?

During an appearance on the “DeepCut Podcast” this week, the quarterback was asked if he’d be inclined to answer the phone this year if a team gave him a call about a potential return.

He was asked first about the 49ers, and added the Patriots and Raiders himself before responding.

“I’m not opposed to it. I don’t know if they’re going to let me if I become an owner of an NFL team. But I don’t know if — I don’t know,” he said. “I’m always going to be in good shape, always be able to throw the ball. So, to come in for a little bit, like [Michael Jordan] coming back; I don’t know if they would let me, but I wouldn’t be opposed to it.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/04/11/sports/tom-brady-nfl-return/

Omg make that happen please Tom!! The NFL has not been the same without you to me 😭