Author Topic: Magic (2-2) at Celtics (2-2) Game 5 5/12  (Read 188684 times)

Magic (2-2) at Celtics (2-2) Game 5 5/12
« on: May 11, 2009, 11:46:02 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Orlando Magic (2-2,6-4)  at  Boston Celtics (2-2,6-5)
Round 2, Game 5
Postseason game #12 Home Game #7
Tuesday, May 12
8:00 PM ET
TV: TNT
Pre/Post Game: CSN HD 7:00 PM ET, After the Game
TD Banknorth Garden 

Probable Starters
Point Guard

Rajon Rondo -  PPG 18.3 RPG 9.50 APG 10.5 EFF + 27.18

Shooting Guard

Ray Allen - PPG 19.5 RPG 3.70 APG 2.7 EFF + 17.09

Small Forward

Paul Pierce - PPG 22.0 RPG 5.50 APG 2.5 EFF + 18.64

Power Forward

Glen Davis - PPG 16.4 RPG 6.00 APG 1.9 EFF + 16.55

Center

Kendrick Perkins  - PPG 12.5 RPG 11.50 APG 1.5 EFF + 22.09

Reserves
Stephon Marbury
Mikki Moore
Eddie House
Gabe Pruitt
Bill Walker
JR Giddens
Brian Scalabrine
Tony Allen

Injured

Kevin Garnett (knee)  out
Leon Powe  (knee)  out
Kendrick Perkins (shoulder) will play

Probable Starters
Point Guard

Rafer Alston - PPG 11.7 RPG 2.90 APG 5.3 EFF + 12.40

Shooting Guard

Courtney Lee - PPG 11.7 RPG 2.40 APG 2.0 EFF + 11.43

Small Forward

Hedo Turkoglu - PPG 13.5 RPG 3.90 APG 3.5 EFF + 11.60

Power Forward

Rashard Lewis - PPG 20.0 RPG 6.40 APG 3.2 EFF + 19.90

Center

Dwight Howard - PPG 20.9 RPG 16.00 APG 1.2 EFF + 31.00

Reserves
JJ Reddick
Tony Battie
Marcin Gortat
Adonal Foyle
Jeremy Richardson
Anthony Johnson
Mickael Pietrus
Tyronn Lue
Anthony Johnson

Injured
Jameer Nelson (labrum)  out

Key Matchups
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Rafer Alston
As it has been in every game, as goes Rondo, so go the Celtics.  He must be aggressive and set the tone for the team.  If Rondo comes out flat, so will the Celtics. 

vs
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight Howard
Perk strained his shoulder in the last game but came back to play the last 2 minutes with some key stops on Howard to help give the Celtics the win.  Perk is refusing an MRI and says he will play in game 5.  Perk is the key to winning this series plain and simple.  His ability to cover Howard one on one and make him take shots that are out of his comfort zone, along with limiting his offensive rebounds and put backs is crucial.  Hopefully Perk's shoulder will be fine and he will be effective in this game. 

vs
Paul Pierce vs Hedo Turkoglu 
Paul Pierce started game 4 strong and set the tone for the team throughout.  When Pierce is aggressive and looking to take the ball to the hoop and not settling for contested jumpers, good things happen.  He also made the assist that led to the game winner by Big Baby showing his trust in his teammates.  The Celtics absolutely need another big game from Pierce. 

vs
Ray Allen vs Courtney Lee
Ray has been pretty much missing in action in this series.  He was 0-5 from beyond the arc in game 4 but shot 6-13 overall for 12 points.  He will be putting up a lot of shots between the end of game 4 and the beginning of game 5 to try to get himself on track.  The Celtics need his offense and hopefully he can get back on track in this game. 

vs
Big Baby Davis vs Rashard Lewis
The Celtics have struggled to defend Rashard Lewis this entire series.  Both Big Baby and Scal have struggled to try to contain him.  At times they have been successful and other times they have been burned.  Big Baby came up big for the Celtics in game 4 with key baskets down the stretch and the game winner.  His ability to hit that 15-20 foot jumper has been a key for the Celtics all series long. 

Bench vs Bench
The Celtics bench once again struggled to score in game 4.  Eddie House who has been on fire was held to just one shot in game 4 because he was smothered by the Orlando defense every time he touched the ball.  To his credit, he didn't force up contested shots.  The Celtics need to figure out how to get Eddie some open shots in game 5.  The only basket from the bench was a runner by Marbury early in the game.   The Magic bench has been big for them all series and pitched in 31 points in game 4.  Pietrus has especially been effective for them off the bench.  The bench players for the Celtics must step up on both ends of the court.  They must get more from their second unit. 

to the Game

Defense
The number one key to the game has to be defense. When the Celtics commit to defense and make the Magic take tough shots and keep them out of the paint, they win.  In the Celtics 2 losses, they allowed the Magic to shoot 51% but in the 2 wins, the Magic averaged only 42%.  The Celtics offense keys off of their defense and in the 2 wins they averaged 52% from the floor while in the two losses they shot only 41%.  The Celtics must focus on defense and play it from start to finish.  The only game they did this was game 2 and they won in a blowout. 

Ball Movement
The Celtics must trust the pass.  They have to move the ball and find the open man.  When they resort to too many iso's and too much dribbling, they struggle to score.  When they move the ball, they keep the Magic defense off balance and their offense clicks on all cylinders.

Don't Settle for Jumpers
The team that has shot mostly jumpers in each game has lost and the team that focused on getting the ball inside and was aggressive in getting to the basket won.  The Celtics must take the ball inside and either get the score or the get free throws.   

Rebound
It is key for the Celtics to continue to crash the boards and win the rebounding battle.  They need to keep the Magic from getting second chance points and put backs, which is how Howard gets most of his points.  They also must give themselves extra possessions by getting to the offensive rebounds.  The team that wants the game most will battles hardest on the boards. 

Focus and Hustle
The Celtics must come out focused from the opening tip and they have to keep that focus throughout the game.  They can't afford to get into a hole and have to dig out of it.  They also can't let up if they get a lead because the Magic can put up points in a hurry.  They have to hustle for loose balls, rebounds and especially on defense.  They can win this series, they just have to want it and focus on getting it, one game at a time. 

X-Factor
Home Court Advantage
The Celtics regained home court advantage with their win in game 4.  They fought hard for it and now they need to make it work for them.  They need to feed off the crowd which is sure to be up for this game.

Re: Magic (2-2) at Celtics (2-2) Game 5 5/12
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 12:31:44 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Another outstanding preview by FLCeltifan - of course a TP.

My thoughts are that the Celtics guards need to bring more to the table than they have so far this series.

Rondo is taking more of his open looks because the Magic have shut off his dribble-penetration and are getting in the way of some passing lanes. His assist total is markedly down.

Paul Pierce is playing smarter but got himself in foul trouble and could only play 32 minutes. Too bad, he was the man. He trusted Davis with his big opportunity to make a national name for himself.

They will need to maintain their focus and keep the Boston crowd energized because the fan base is, I'm pretty sure, as tired as the players are. There certainly has been a lot to follow this decade in all four major sports. This is Game 5, so I am sure the Champions understand the urgency.

Keeping your composure and playing through bad calls is critical for both teams. Those referees must be seeing things differently then the fans and I am sure they are feeling pressure after that Dallas officiating debacle. The better disciplined team will advance to take on Cleveland in the Eastern Conference Finals.

The Q will take his chances tomorrow night.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Today's Refs with their home team won loss records:

Monty McCutchen  (46-29)
http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nba/referees/2008-2009/referee403914.html

Mike Callahan (35-26)
http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nba/referees/2008-2009/referee403921.html

Bill Spooner (32-27)
http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nba/referees/2008-2009/referee403895.html

Callahan and Spooner seem to favor the road team more than most refs do.  I hope that won't be a factor. 

The Lakers get both Bennett Salvatore and Kenny Mauer.  Lucky them. 

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Monty McCutchen  (46-29)
http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nba/referees/2008-2009/referee403914.html

Mike Callahan (35-26)
http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nba/referees/2008-2009/referee403921.html

Bill Spooner (32-27)
http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nba/referees/2008-2009/referee403895.html

Callahan and Spooner seem to favor the road team more than most refs do.  I hope that won't be a factor. 

shocking. we get two officals vegas rates as "road friendly" and one homer and the lakers get 2 of the highest rated "home" refs around, and another home crowd guy.

It's almost like the NBA wants to make sure the lakers get a good benifit of the doubt at staples, and they gave us the "fair" crew to let the players decide it in our series.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:50:50 AM »

Offline houseonfire09

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • Thank you Eddie!

Monty McCutchen  (46-29)

Mike Callahan (35-26)

Bill Spooner (32-27)

shocking. we get two officals vegas rates as "road friendly" and one homer and the lakers get 2 of the highest rated "home" refs around, and another home crowd guy.

It's almost like the NBA wants to make sure the lakers get a good benifit of the doubt at staples, and they gave us the "fair" crew to let the players decide it in our series.

The refs can only decide so much.  It's up to the players on the court.  If LA comes out the way they did in game 5, they have no chance regardless of the refs.
"If David Stern ran the NHL, is there any chance his meal ticket's team would blow a Game 7 in Round 1? Put a pair of skates on Dick Bavetta!" -Bill Simmons

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 11:08:29 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I hope our players have come to realize the concept of "momentum" doesn't exist from game to game.  With each team alternating victories in the first 4 games, and 20 point wins being immediately followed by 20 point losses, that should be more than enough proof.  It's possible for teams/players to get hot and feed off the crowd, or their own great play.  But once that buzzer sounds and teams have a couple days to think about things, anything that happened in the previous game doesn't carry over.

I don't like the quotes from some of the players talking about momentum of winning that game and going back home.  The Magic already won in Boston once in this series.  They can do it again. But they're a veteran team and I'm hopeful they'll be focused for tonight's game.

Still waiting for Ray's outside shot to start falling.  Tonight's as good a night as any.  And hopefully Paul stays aggressive and attacks the basket.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

Monty McCutchen  (46-29)

Mike Callahan (35-26)

Bill Spooner (32-27)

The refs can only decide so much.  It's up to the players on the court.  If LA comes out the way they did in game 5, they have no chance regardless of the refs.

the 2006 dallas mavericks would like a word with you about how much the ref's can influence the games via FT's.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 11:34:18 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
globe reporting that Scal is ill and is "hoping" to be play tonight  :-[

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 11:42:18 AM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
just got my tickets!!! so excited for my first trip to the Garden this season!

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 11:42:27 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Another Tommy Point for FL.

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 12:08:32 PM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109
Courtney Lee is extremely underrated.  His defense is unreal.  He is sticking to the shooters better then anyone else that has played Ray and Eddie all year.  As well, he has generally made great decisions, and hit his shots when they have come.

As well, JJ's defense has been pretty good as well, although he has had some lapses.  Ray just hasen't taken advantages of these. 

Let's hope they run more quick hit screens for Ray, not the double - single screen option play.  Orlando is ready for that play, and have defended it well. 

We need to get Ray going.

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 12:37:59 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
Same gameplan as I stated last game: Single coverage on Dwight only, Perkins and Baby do just fine in that area. I don't care how much he finishes with. Make sure that Turkoglu and Lewis aren't allowed to go bombs away on us from the outside. It worked great last game. Pay more attention to those two than anyone else on the court.

And keep taking the ball to the basket. Don't let it be a jumpshooting contest. Towards the end of last game, when Ray was buried deep in the corner taking that three and missing, I thought we may lose the game on that play. Let Ray and Pierce take it to the basket and get to the line.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:52:13 PM by Tradetime »

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 01:28:17 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
TP FL.

I'm confident about this game, I think that the Celtics will come up with a lot of energy and attack the paint right from the start. I expect a bounce back game for Ray... I'm expecting it since game 2 but I think tonight is the perfect night : the home crowd will fuel the team, and his teammates are going to try to get him in the flow of the offense early.

The Celtics have truly realized how important HCA is and, moreover, that they can't expect to come out with no desire and still win easily because they're playing on their homecourt. The fact that they needed a buzzer beater from BBD to avoid a 3-1 hole must have convinced them that this game is a must win. I really feel good for this game, though it could be a tough one... but I think that whenever Boston takes some 10 or 15 points lead in the game the Magic will start to panic and play poorly.

Unfortunately I won't have the chance to watch the game live, but I'll watch it tomorrow morning. Let's go C's, you have your fate in your hands and a good chance to get a 3-2 lead so please win tonight!

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 01:29:24 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
globe reporting that Scal is ill and is "hoping" to be play tonight  :-[

Darng! I hope he plays...

Every series game is important but this one is huge. The team who gets Game 5 will almost surely advance to the ECF.

Go C's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I expect extreme displays of defense tonight (without the massive fouls of Game 4).  That and some home cooking with our shooting should deliver a massive blow to the Magic.

First team to win two in a row in this series wins it.