Author Topic: ESPN: Marbury, Celtics interested in deal  (Read 56171 times)

ESPN: Marbury, Celtics interested in deal
« on: January 01, 2009, 11:59:42 PM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
Please God No! He doesn't deserve to be with a team as good as the Celtics. How long will it be before he complains about Rondo's playing time?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3804977

Nearly one year since Stephon Marbury last played in a regular-season game, signals are getting stronger that the New York Knicks' outcast will eventually make his comeback with the Boston Celtics.

That still depends largely on Marbury's ability to negotiate his release from the Knicks after weeks of fruitless and oft-contentious buyout talks, but sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com this week that Boston is Marbury's preferred destination if he manages to become a free agent and that the Celtics are indeed hopeful of signing him.

Re: ESPN: Marbury, Celtics interested in deal
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 12:09:01 AM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
too bad he's not another foot taller...

think about this, though...he comes in under KG's wing and respects what KG and the celtics are all about...

he plays alongside rondo in the backcourt...doc will get to play his preferred "small ball" lineup, moving pierce to pf and KG to c.  danny then pulls off some deal and gets another decent big.

problems solved...life is good again...we can go back to hammering away at scalabrine and count down the months until he's gone. :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:17:11 AM »

Offline TradeProposalDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 56
Intriguing as this may be, why? We have another former all star PG sitting on our bench who also has yet to play a single game this year. So dump one unused option while bringing in another? Does this really improve our team's situation?

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:18:32 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
too bad he's not another foot taller...

think about this, though...he comes in under KG's wing and respects what KG and the celtics are all about...

he plays alongside rondo in the backcourt...doc will get to play his preferred "small ball" lineup, moving pierce to pf and KG to c.  danny then pulls off some deal and gets another decent big.

problems solved...life is good again...we can go back to hammering away at scalabrine and count down the months until he's gone. :)

That's certainly the best-case scenario. I also think it's just as likely that he'll complain about minutes, jack up shots at every opportunity, and get abused on defense.

However, as the ESPN article states, if the experiment doesn't work out, the Celtics can just cut him. So I guess it's worth a shot: but only if Cassell moves to the coaching ranks. I don't want to see anyone else cut to open up the roster spot for Marbury.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 12:20:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Marbury is a horrible locker room guy and is as selfish a player and maybe human being as I've ever seen. That said, with option after option seemingly going against the Celtics(Mutombo to Houston, PJ retires, Joe Smith stating his interest in Cleveland if he is bought out, Krstic to OKC, McDyess' return to Detroit, available players having big contracts), the addition of Marbury, if he could keep his giany mouth shut and just play, would be a huge lift to the offensive ineptitude that is our bench. The man has a great handle, he can dish, he can score and when he wants he can even play some defense. Talent wise and quality of his game wise, he would be a gigantic addition. But he is Starbury and he does come with a boat load of problems. Could he put aside his regular idiocies for six months for the glory of a championship ring? That I doubt but the pickings out their are getting very slim.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 12:23:05 AM »

Offline tb727

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

That's hilarious!  TP!!!
Jay Wingspan Bilas

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 12:25:35 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
This should be interesting...deep down I dont like the idea of that dude on the celtics...but if he can help us im down
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 12:34:13 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Intriguing as this may be, why? We have another former all star PG sitting on our bench who also has yet to play a single game this year. So dump one unused option while bringing in another? Does this really improve our team's situation?

It only happens if Cassell is in fact toast.  I believe they had wanted Cassell to take over the second unit late in the season, but if they have decided he is not capable of it, then bringing in Marbury makes sense. 

And believe me, if Marbury is brought it, he won't be an "unused option".

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 12:48:55 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
The only reason this might work is that Marbury has a lot of respect for KG.  If the Knicks buy out Marbury, I could see him in green.  Not saying I want to, but I could see it.  I could also see it working, if KG keeps Marbury in line and if Marbury, desperate to prove all the haters wrong, gets it into his head that it isnt a bad thing to come off the bench as a 6th (or 7th) man.  Oh, and that he learns a thing or two about D.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 12:53:10 AM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I've said it in many threads before this one - this is totally something Red would do. When Marbury was last discussed ad nauseum on this board, everyone was saying "Don't fix it if it ain't broke". I think now people are starting to acknowledge that while we're a great team, we're not invincible. Ainge certainly knows it and he's determined to do anything and everything to make the team better. If he's confident that gambling on Marbury will pay winning dividends, then I'm behind the move 100%.

Mind you, this is coming from a guy who couldn't stand the thought of bringing him in 2 years ago. Didn't like him. Still don't think much of him. But times change and so do the circumstances. He's got loads of talent and I think Ainge believes he has the right players and coach to channel Marbury's talent into something positive.

If I wasn't bold enough before, I'll be bold now. I'll stake whatever reputation I have after 3 or 4 years or whatever on Celticsblog to say that I think Marbury will prove the doubters wrong and be a resounding success if he signs with Boston. I don't think we lock #18 in the bag by signing him - we still need the backup big man - but I think we move a step closer.

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 01:07:27 AM »

Offline screwedupmaniac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 205
so at this point, it's looking like we:

1. cut cassell (and possibly o'bryant at this point) and sign starbury, making cassell an assistant coach for us as soon as he's cut
2. trade giddens, davis, scal, draft pick, etc. for a veteran big man

this all frees up roster spots, keeps our core players intact, keeps the players working hard and understanding that their spot on this team doesn't come for free, and ultimately pieces together a bench that is actually capable of doing something again on both ends of the floor. i'm not a fan of starbury and his antics, but i'm hoping that ainge and company know what they are doing.

now all we need to do is bring back toine to play backup SF in his third and final stint with the C's, and 18's in the bag...haha  ;D

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 01:10:52 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't see why the Celtics would bring in Starbury.

Starbury is not a backup PG. He is actually not really a PG to begin with, but that is besides the point.

We need someone to provide stability to our inconsistent bench. I don't think Starbury provides that stability.

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 01:21:10 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Color me excited!  ;D
God bless and good night!

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 01:21:52 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm torn.  You have to think that with everything that's happened this season Marbury would accept his role on this team, shut his mouth and play his ass off when needed.  GM's can have a short memory and if he gets this right he might find a team willing to pay him to play next year.  That being said, these are rational motives and this is Stephon Marbury we're talking about.

It's easy to say we can just cut him if things don't work out but what if he starts acting up in March or April?  Do we really want that kind of distraction as we head into the playoffs?

Here's a pretty good read on Marbury:

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/knicks/archives/2008/12/exclusive_-_ste.html  

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 01:24:56 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
I don't see why the Celtics would bring in Starbury.

Starbury is not a backup PG. He is actually not really a PG to begin with, but that is besides the point.

We need someone to provide stability to our inconsistent bench. I don't think Starbury provides that stability.

How is he not a pointguard? Don't hold his scoring abilities against him.