Author Topic: ESPN: Marbury, Celtics interested in deal  (Read 56367 times)

Re: ESPN: Marbury, Celtics interested in deal
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 01:25:28 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Intriguing as this may be, why? We have another former all star PG sitting on our bench who also has yet to play a single game this year. So dump one unused option while bringing in another? Does this really improve our team's situation?

The difference is that Marbury is 31 and Cassell is 39. Marbury would actually play too...because once again he is 31. Marbury could probably still produce at nearly an all star level if given the minutes you know.

Marbury would be a steal, imo, because he would sign here at the minimum, and if he causes any locker room problems, he'll simply be cut. If he doesn't cause any locker room problems, he obviously stays, and he is still a very talented player. Only some players drop off huge at the age of 31, and it's usually because they had an injury or they couldn't stay in shape (like Walker).

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 01:35:05 AM »

Offline vwoodruff

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 45

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 01:40:00 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I don't see why the Celtics would bring in Starbury.

Starbury is not a backup PG. He is actually not really a PG to begin with, but that is besides the point.

We need someone to provide stability to our inconsistent bench. I don't think Starbury provides that stability.

How is he not a pointguard? Don't hold his scoring abilities against him.

He's also third in active assists, 22nd all time.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 01:40:57 AM »

Offline Trifecta

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • #18 at any cost.
What people don't realize is that this can just be a "6-month rental" so to speak.Best case scenario is that he is the necessary spark we need off the bench and he stays out of trouble for six months. If he doesn't, he's cut. Simple. I say give it a try, we are desperate for some bench production.
KO and Zeller, aka Hopeless and Helpless aka the Twin Towers of Futility.

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 02:40:08 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Intriguing as this may be, why? We have another former all star PG sitting on our bench who also has yet to play a single game this year. So dump one unused option while bringing in another? Does this really improve our team's situation?

The difference is that Marbury is 31 and Cassell is 39. Marbury would actually play too...because once again he is 31. Marbury could probably still produce at nearly an all star level if given the minutes you know.

Marbury would be a steal, imo, because he would sign here at the minimum, and if he causes any locker room problems, he'll simply be cut. If he doesn't cause any locker room problems, he obviously stays, and he is still a very talented player. Only some players drop off huge at the age of 31, and it's usually because they had an injury or they couldn't stay in shape (like Walker).

More than agree. He is way way younger and quicker than and as talented as Cassell (not smarter though).
Let's not forget he's an All-Star many times over (even won one for the East with a 3-pointer years back), very good perimeter and long range shooter than Rondo (a skill set the latter lacks) that will create opportunities for low post players, can play the pick-and-roll better than Rondo, taller than Rondo, and definitely the better offensive player we may want other than the Big 3.
We have to maximize his skills and talent which I believe could translate to a positive one for our team that's become so predictable on the offensive end. He can't complain much and become the same player he was as Knickerbocker. In this team, he can't dictate on any of the Big 3. He'll toe the line. He's so eager to play and prove himself so there's no worry on how he'll go about being a Celtic that is trying to help a team to repeat as champs.
If it fails, we still have Gabe Pruitt.

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 03:04:23 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Meh... our bench is crap.  Let Marbury go wild on it.  It's better than watching Eddie House jack up bricks while he pretends to be a shot creator.

But we've been hearing about Marbury "about to get bought out" for how long now?  ...  I'll believe it when I see it.

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 03:12:56 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
This should be interesting...deep down I dont like the idea of that dude on the celtics...but if he can help us im down

Isn't that like saying you want
to eat the cake before you buy it?
And if you don't like it, you won't
be paying for it?

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 03:32:46 AM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
This actually sounds great to me. Regardless of his attitude, the guy can fricken ball.

Big time. He's a better player now than Cassell ever was, and he's also 8 years younger than Cassell so... YAY Marbury.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 03:41:50 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
new lineup:

PG Rajon Rondo (distributor)
SG Eddie House (catch & shoot)
SF Starbury (Create his own shot)
PF Sam Cassell (likes to post up)
C  Gabe Pruitt (he's the tallest)

:)

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 04:19:38 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
and Boston is the type of place that "bad apple" players come to and rebuild themselves...

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 04:32:57 AM »

Offline rrc589

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
From the article:

"Boston also knows it would have the option to simply release Marbury without significant salary-cap consequences if he fails to click as a backup or proves unwilling to accept a secondary role."

Then why not take a chance on him?

He knows he is going to have to be on his best behavior on and off the court or he's done. 

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 05:09:48 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
From the article:

"Boston also knows it would have the option to simply release Marbury without significant salary-cap consequences if he fails to click as a backup or proves unwilling to accept a secondary role."

Then why not take a chance on him?

He knows he is going to have to be on his best behavior on and off the court or he's done. 

true.

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
I don't really trust Marbury and he is a real headcase, but we need to improve our bench. He would be an upgrade and he's got the talent. If it doesn't work out then we'll cut him. I'd say go for it, Danny!

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 07:43:18 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Meh... our bench is crap.  Let Marbury go wild on it.  It's better than watching Eddie House jack up bricks while he pretends to be a shot creator.

But we've been hearing about Marbury "about to get bought out" for how long now?  ...  I'll believe it when I see it.

yea unless steph comes of his demands to get his entire contract as his buyout number, i think he's a knick for this year.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 07:48:09 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I think Marbury is a horrible locker room guy and is as selfish a player and maybe human being as I've ever seen. That said, with option after option seemingly going against the Celtics(Mutombo to Houston, PJ retires, Joe Smith stating his interest in Cleveland if he is bought out, Krstic to OKC, McDyess' return to Detroit, available players having big contracts), the addition of Marbury, if he could keep his giany mouth shut and just play, would be a huge lift to the offensive ineptitude that is our bench. The man has a great handle, he can dish, he can score and when he wants he can even play some defense. Talent wise and quality of his game wise, he would be a gigantic addition. But he is Starbury and he does come with a boat load of problems. Could he put aside his regular idiocies for six months for the glory of a championship ring? That I doubt but the pickings out their are getting very slim.

Exactly. I'd hate to meet the person who hates Starbury's game more than I do.

But ... this bench is a disaster area. And if Garnett can ride herd on Steph's enormous ego, he can add some qualities that we don't have to this bench with a complete enough game to actually deserve sixth- and seventh-man minutes.

I think you bring him in and take a look - if you're serious about chasing a title this year.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."