Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 418723 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1500 on: April 29, 2019, 10:30:31 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
LOL

Night King: "It was a bad shot"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great picture. Night King can't whine about shot selection after last season when he passed on the broadside of Drogon covered in main characters to chuck at a flying Viserion.

« Reply #1501 on: April 29, 2019, 10:46:24 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553
Wow, what lazy writing for the climax of this episode.  It's basically lifted straight from The Avengers (2012) when the Chitauri start to overwhelm them in the final battle.

The Hulk gets swarmed by hundreds of Chitauri laser blasts and it looks like he's overwhelmed.  Cap, Black Widow, and Hawkeye look like they're about to get overrun.  The Chitauri keep pouring out of the wormhole in infinite numbers.  All seems lost in several individual heroes situations until Iron Man guides a missile through the wormhole, destroying the Chitauri ship which then disables their thousands of fighters. 

Exactly how GOT ended last night.  About a dozen scenes of all the heroes starting to get overwhelmed.  You think it's impossible for them to fight off the wights any more, and then Arya kills the Night King.

Come on GOT.  Be original.

The Avengers didn't invent that either, the "kill the main guy/power source/mothership and the whole overwhelming threat immediately collapses" has been around forever. I agree it's generally a cheap out and an easy way of making a huge confrontation boil down to a single interaction.  Would've at least liked to see it set up by some strategic killing of other White Walkers that destroyed pockets of the army.
Yeah that is classic hive mentality.  It has existed in nature for thousands of years.  Ender's Game and countless other books, movies, tv shows, and video games (for example Starcraft) use that same trope when describing certain species. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1502 on: April 29, 2019, 11:10:11 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Loved the beginning of the battle when the lighted swords go dark. I think the darkness created a sense of mystery and dread. I actually preferred this vs. a day battle scene. This let us imagine terrible things before they actually came.

« Reply #1503 on: April 29, 2019, 11:13:49 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
what does droppin Endgame spoilers..*havent seen it yet* got to do with game of thrones first of all..smh

the way he defended her..epic..

stop choppin and screwin this ep..i loved it..snow was the hero and could not save the day..loved it

« Reply #1504 on: April 29, 2019, 11:19:46 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Loved the beginning of the battle when the lighted swords go dark. I think the darkness created a sense of mystery and dread. I actually preferred this vs. a day battle scene. This let us imagine terrible things before they actually came.

That was effective as theater, but as strategy it was baffling. They knew, more or less, that there was an enormous army of the dead out there, but they couldn't actually see it. How big was it? Nobody knew. Why would they send a small fraction of their army - and their only cavalry - off into the darkness to be cut down like that? As a military strategy, "split up so the enemy can fight you piecemeal" is a little unusual. Why not have them on the flanks, so that when the army of the dead engages the spearmen the cavalry rolls up from the sides?

If there are any dothraki left in Essos they should be p---ed at how their brothers were used up that way.

« Reply #1505 on: April 29, 2019, 11:39:34 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
what does droppin Endgame spoilers..*havent seen it yet* got to do with game of thrones first of all..smh

It's the first Avengers from 2012 not the new one.

« Reply #1506 on: April 29, 2019, 11:40:55 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

That was effective as theater, but as strategy it was baffling. They knew, more or less, that there was an enormous army of the dead out there, but they couldn't actually see it. How big was it? Nobody knew. Why would they send a small fraction of their army - and their only cavalry - off into the darkness to be cut down like that? As a military strategy, "split up so the enemy can fight you piecemeal" is a little unusual. Why not have them on the flanks, so that when the army of the dead engages the spearmen the cavalry rolls up from the sides?

If there are any dothraki left in Essos they should be p---ed at how their brothers were used up that way.

Yeah I don't know anything about military strategy but I thought it was kind of dumb to send the Dothraki out into the darkness.

After all, the night is dark and full of terror.

« Reply #1507 on: April 29, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

You mean exactly what Stannis did when he saved the Night's Watch from the Wildlings.  I mean why should they use tried and true strategies that work, when it is so much more dramatic to have them all die.

« Reply #1508 on: April 29, 2019, 11:48:00 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 85
Wow, what lazy writing for the climax of this episode.  It's basically lifted straight from The Avengers (2012) when the Chitauri start to overwhelm them in the final battle.

The Hulk gets swarmed by hundreds of Chitauri laser blasts and it looks like he's overwhelmed.  Cap, Black Widow, and Hawkeye look like they're about to get overrun.  The Chitauri keep pouring out of the wormhole in infinite numbers.  All seems lost in several individual heroes situations until Iron Man guides a missile through the wormhole, destroying the Chitauri ship which then disables their thousands of fighters. 

Exactly how GOT ended last night.  About a dozen scenes of all the heroes starting to get overwhelmed.  You think it's impossible for them to fight off the wights any more, and then Arya kills the Night King.

Come on GOT.  Be original.

The Avengers didn't invent that either, the "kill the main guy/power source/mothership and the whole overwhelming threat immediately collapses" has been around forever. I agree it's generally a cheap out and an easy way of making a huge confrontation boil down to a single interaction.  Would've at least liked to see it set up by some strategic killing of other White Walkers that destroyed pockets of the army.
Yeah that is classic hive mentality.  It has existed in nature for thousands of years.  Ender's Game and countless other books, movies, tv shows, and video games (for example Starcraft) use that same trope when describing certain species.

I didn't say this trope was invented with The Avengers (2012), just that it was a prime/recent example.

« Reply #1509 on: April 29, 2019, 12:01:39 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Maybe I'm the only one, but honestly I was a little disappointed that it wasn't Jon that killed the Night King. I understand the idea that the show wanted to buck conventions by not making it the conventional hero who did it but not doing something just because its conventional doesn't actually make it a good decision. Jon was the one who confronted the white walkers first, he'd fought white walkers before, he had that stare down with the night king after Hard Home. It felt like that final confrontation was the end to his narrative ark, and then he didn't get it. Meanwhile Arya had almost no connection to that particular plot thread, I just didn't like that decision.

Its would be like all of star wars laying out the way it did, but then Luke gets lost in the death star on the way to confront Vader and Leia jumps out of a shadow to stab him last minute. That would also buck convention, it just wouldn't make any sense given the plot of the story.

« Reply #1510 on: April 29, 2019, 12:05:39 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

Yeah I don't know anything about military strategy but I thought it was kind of dumb to send the Dothraki out into the darkness.

I joked with my wife that they were probably worried about running low on provisions.  Feeding a Dothraki hoard is no small task...

« Reply #1511 on: April 29, 2019, 12:36:12 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
Maybe I'm the only one, but honestly I was a little disappointed that it wasn't Jon that killed the Night King. I understand the idea that the show wanted to buck conventions by not making it the conventional hero who did it but not doing something just because its conventional doesn't actually make it a good decision. Jon was the one who confronted the white walkers first, he'd fought white walkers before, he had that stare down with the night king after Hard Home. It felt like that final confrontation was the end to his narrative ark, and then he didn't get it. Meanwhile Arya had almost no connection to that particular plot thread, I just didn't like that decision.

Its would be like all of star wars laying out the way it did, but then Luke gets lost in the death star on the way to confront Vader and Leia jumps out of a shadow to stab him last minute. That would also buck convention, it just wouldn't make any sense given the plot of the story.
Oh no I absolutely agree.  I actually generally liked the episode until the last 10 minutes or so when they took a giant crap on the prior 7 seasons.  Arya just doesn't make sense in the story telling at all (in addition to how she did it being nonsensical).  And you can't just ignore prophecies like that.  Prophecies in fantasy works matter and they just ignored the biggest one in the entire series.  And it isn't like there wasn't talk of the prince who was promised in the show, because there was (it is more prevalent in the books but still in the show).  Jon was pretty clearly the prince who was promised, but if you don't want to go so traditionally then they needed to do one of the other 2 people that made any sort of sense i.e. Dany or Jamie.  Coming up with a hair brained scheme like that just takes away from the whole television series. 

« Reply #1512 on: April 29, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I joked with my wife that they were probably worried about running low on provisions.  Feeding a Dothraki hoard is no small task...
I thought the idea was to ride through cutting and trampling a good part of the undead horde as they don't have pikes or trenches. There was just too many and they had Giants which was a massive stopper. A few got smart and turned back.

« Reply #1513 on: April 29, 2019, 12:52:07 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
the Night King bringing Tormund back to life,

Were we watching the same show?  Cause Tormund did not die on the one I watched.

http://time.com/5578054/game-of-thrones-battle-of-winterfell-deaths/
Those darn blue eyes...   8)

« Reply #1514 on: April 29, 2019, 12:57:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The thing about the prophecy of R'hllor's religion is, as much as some people want to hang everything on those prophecies, the prophecies always seemed to be wrong.

Stannis was not the Prince Who was Promised. Neither was Jon, it turns out. The weapon of the Prince Who Was Promised that would kill the Night King didn't need to be bathed in the blood of a king.

Heck, even Melisandre's attempts to help in the Battle of Winterfell were useless. The Dothraki fire swords did nothing and neither did lighting the fire in the trenches.

About the only thing the God of Fire did was keep Dondarrion and Jon alive so that the Battle of Winterfell would be won.

Hate to say it but, all those in depth followers that based their idea on what would happen based on the God of Fire prophecies were swerved. Turns out the God of Fire was wrong about a ton of stuff.