Author Topic: Confessions of a Basketball Soul  (Read 1340 times)

Confessions of a Basketball Soul
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:12:55 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
My basketball soul is tortured with guilt. I need absolution through confession.

1. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, because I have sinned. I don't think Kristaps Porzingis is that good. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's good. He's a fine player, but every time I hear people assume he is a top 10 player, or even a top 20 player, I cringe a bit. I guess I just want my 7'3'' center to average more than 6.7 rebounds a game. He's Andrea Bargnani-strong, but I don't think that's a compliment. He is a ball stopper and does not create shots for others. I'm also terrified that he is going to start getting stress fractures in his feet.

2. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, because I have sinned. I don't want Anthony Davis. I mean I do want him, but I don't. I don't think he is a good team defender. I don't think he moves the ball well. I don't think he is good at creating for others. I don't think he is tough. I think he is a bit of a prima donna. I don't want to pay what it would cost to get him.

3. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, because I have sinned. Lebron James deserves the MVP this season, as well as each of the last 3-4. He doesn't have a killer instinct, but he's still unbelievable. I hate the Cavs, but secretly enjoy watching James prop up and orchestrate an amazing offensive machine out of spare parts. I always cheer against him, but I secretly enjoy watching him play.

4. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, because I have sinned. I'm glad we traded away Avery Bradley. I don't think you can win a championship with him as your 1st-4th best player. He's too inconsistent. I loved the highlights. I love the big shots. He was great and all, but I'm glad I don't need to cheer for him anymore -- it was too frustrating.

5. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, because I have sinned. The rookie I enjoy watching the most this year is not Jayson Tatum. I love the kid, but I don't get excited to watch him play. I really enjoy watching our other 3 rookies play more. I love Ojeyle's athleticism. I love watching offensive players try to back him down and bounce off of him. I love seeing his confidence develop. I love his nasty attitude. I love watching Theis play. He's playing himself into an 8 figure contract after this 6 figure contract runs out. He's a great team defender and very skilled offensive player. If he gets into rhythm with shooting and stops fouling, he'd be unbelievable. The rookie I get most excited to see is Yabusele. His game last night offensively was great. He swung the ball side to side, shot with confidence, and set great screens. I think he could be an All-star.

6. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, for I have sinned. I still think Marcus Smart has All-star potential. Everything would have to break right, and its probably not going to happen playing for the Celtics. I see all his offensive problems as problems with his rhythm and confidence, not his skill, IQ, or athleticism.

7. Finally, forgive me Celtics Blog forum, for I have sinned. I think we can win the championship this year. We all probably have those thoughts, but most of us are reluctant to voice them. I think Irving-Hayward is a better backcourt than Curry-Thompson. I think Horford is better than Green. Durant is better than Tatum, but Brown-Smart-Rozier-Theis-Baynes-Ojeyle-Yabusele 4-11 is better than Igoudala-Livingston-McGee-Pachulia-Looney-McCaw-Young-Casspi 4-11.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:25:09 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

Re: Confessions of a Basketball Soul
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:23:12 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:33:00 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
1, 2, and 4 dont seem like sins.

5 makes almost no sense to me and 6 seems pretty absurd.

3 tho:
3. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, because I have sinned. Lebron James deserves the MVP this season, as well as each of the last 3-4. He doesn't have a killer instinct, but he's still unbelievable. I hate the Cavs, but secretly enjoy watching James prop up and orchestrate an amazing offensive machine out of spare parts. I always cheer against him, but I secretly enjoy watching him play.
This is totally wrong.

Lebron James is the best player in the world, but the MVP award is a regular season award, and due to LeCoast, James has not been the most valuable player over the course of the last 3-4 regular seasons.

In both of Steph's MVP seasons, Steph was far more valuable during the regular season. Last year James should have been the runner up to James Harden. 4 years ago, you could argue Lebron deserved it, but Durant led the league in scoring and led his team to more success.

James has been absurd this year, but Harden has been similarly unreal and hes done it on a team thats had more success: 18-4 vs. 18-7.

Right now, Id give Harden a tiny edge based on strength of schedule(Houston has had an easy schedule but Cavs have had an easier one) and team success. The Rockets have been A LOT better that the Cavs.

Now on to the really objectionable part of your post:

The idea that Lebron James doesnt have a killer instinct is the patently absurd. That BS criticism of James lost its validity a decade ago.

do you remember ripping the hearts out of the Big 3 in 2011?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7xdo_NzKw
How about silencing the garden in an elimination game in 2012?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-VzBeOrdAg

Did you watch any of the last 3 finals?

How about his absurd 4th quarter in the Ray Allen game back in '13 against the Spurs?

What about last night with the dagger 3?

What about a month ago when he stuck a dagger three against the Knicks?

What about his game winner in Chicago that killed the Bulls fight his first year in Cleveland?

No killer instinct? are you kidding me?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »

• Paul Silas
1, 2, and 4 dont seem like sins.

5 makes almost no sense to me and 6 seems pretty absurd.

3 tho:
This is totally wrong.

Lebron James is the best player in the world, but the MVP award is a regular season award, and due to LeCoast, James has not been the most valuable player over the course of the last 3-4 regular seasons.

In both of Steph's MVP seasons, Steph was far more valuable during the regular season. Last year James should have been the runner up to James Harden. 4 years ago, you could argue Lebron deserved it, but Durant led the league in scoring and led his team to more success.

James has been absurd this year, but Harden has been similarly unreal and hes done it on a team thats had more success: 18-4 vs. 18-7.

Right now, Id give Harden a tiny edge based on strength of schedule(Houston has had an easy schedule but Cavs have had an easier one) and team success. The Rockets have been A LOT better that the Cavs.

Now on to the really objectionable part of your post:

The idea that Lebron James doesnt have a killer instinct is the patently absurd. That BS criticism of James lost its validity a decade ago.

do you remember ripping the hearts out of the Big 3 in 2011?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7xdo_NzKw
How about silencing the garden in an elimination game in 2012?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-VzBeOrdAg

Did you watch any of the last 3 finals?

How about his absurd 4th quarter in the Ray Allen game back in '13 against the Spurs?

What about last night with the dagger 3?

What about a month ago when he stuck a dagger three against the Knicks?

What about his game winner in Chicago that killed the Bulls fight his first year in Cleveland?

No killer instinct? are you kidding me?

Worst basketball priest ever ...  :D

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:12:02 AM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
My basketball soul is tortured with guilt. I need absolution through confession.

1. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, because I have sinned. I don't think Kristaps Porzingis is that good. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's good. He's a fine player, but every time I hear people assume he is a top 10 player, or even a top 20 player, I cringe a bit. I guess I just want my 7'3'' center to average more than 6.7 rebounds a game. He's Andrea Bargnani-strong, but I don't think that's a compliment. He is a ball stopper and does not create shots for others. I'm also terrified that he is going to start getting stress fractures in his feet.

2. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, because I have sinned. I don't want Anthony Davis. I mean I do want him, but I don't. I don't think he is a good team defender. I don't think he moves the ball well. I don't think he is good at creating for others. I don't think he is tough. I think he is a bit of a prima donna. I don't want to pay what it would cost to get him.

4. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, because I have sinned. I'm glad we traded away Avery Bradley. I don't think you can win a championship with him as your 1st-4th best player. He's too inconsistent. I loved the highlights. I love the big shots. He was great and all, but I'm glad I don't need to cheer for him anymore -- it was too frustrating.

5. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, because I have sinned. The rookie I enjoy watching the most this year is not Jayson Tatum. I love the kid, but I don't get excited to watch him play. I really enjoy watching our other 3 rookies play more. I love Ojeyle's athleticism. I love watching offensive players try to back him down and bounce off of him. I love seeing his confidence develop. I love his nasty attitude. I love watching Theis play. He's playing himself into an 8 figure contract after this 6 figure contract runs out. He's a great team defender and very skilled offensive player. If he gets into rhythm with shooting and stops fouling, he'd be unbelievable. The rookie I get most excited to see is Yabusele. His game last night offensively was great. He swung the ball side to side, shot with confidence, and set great screens. I think he could be an All-star.

6. Forgive me Celtics Blog forum, for I have sinned. I still think Marcus Smart has All-star potential. Everything would have to break right, and its probably not going to happen playing for the Celtics. I see all his offensive problems as problems with his rhythm and confidence, not his skill, IQ, or athleticism.

7. Finally, forgive me Celtics Blog forum, for I have sinned. I think we can win the championship this year. We all probably have those thoughts, but most of us are reluctant to voice them. I think Irving-Hayward is a better backcourt than Curry-Thompson. I think Horford is better than Green. Durant is better than Tatum, but Brown-Smart-Rozier-Theis-Baynes-Ojeyle-Yabusele 4-11 is better than Igoudala-Livingston-McGee-Pachulia-Looney-McCaw-Young-Casspi 4-11.

You Sir, are absolved of your sins. Now go off and be joyous. Let not comparison thieve away your joy, love and be gentle!

Go C’s. This has been one of my best seasons.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 11:16:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

He's still got a ways to go before he's a true superstar, but he's carrying a bad team to wins, and that's the first sign that a guy has "it."  He can shoot over anybody in the league, can take any traditional big man off the dribble, blocks shots, and has shown some playmaking potential.  He's going to be really good, I think, but he still has work to do.

The injuries are the biggest thing for me.

I would say, though, that I felt many of the same things about Kyrie Irving before he put on a Celtics uniform.  Turns out that playing for Brad Stevens makes a big difference.  Also, it's much easier to appreciate what a player is good at when they're wearing your hometown colors.

We can argue endlessly about what it means to be "MVP."  I just don't think LeBron's teams have been good enough the last few years, and he hasn't given a consistent enough effort on both ends, for him to be at the top of the list in that conversation for me.  He largely saves himself for the playoffs, except when he can't afford to do so, which you could probably say is the case so far this year.

The Rockets are better than the Cavs, though, and I think Harden's offensive impact is even greater than LeBron's.  Once again, the top 3 offensive teams in the league are Golden State, Houston, and Cleveland.  Golden State has Curry and Durant, who mostly cancel each other out in this conversation (though Durant could surge forward with Curry missing time). 

I would say it's Harden, just like it should have been Harden last year.

Avery was just too small for me, and too much of his offense was comprised of pull-up jumpers.  He's a solid starting shooting guard, but I think his defensive impact is hugely overrated because he's a shooting guard who can only really make a defensive impact playing on-ball against point guards.

I really don't see it with Yabu, to be honest.  He's another Glen Davis / Jared Sullinger type guy if you ask me, and he may not even be as productive as they were.  We'll see.

I like Theis quite a bit, but I don't find him "exciting" in the sense that Jayson is, because despite being a rookie he's an established pro.  I look at him like a veteran minimum signing.  Really great find by Danny.

As for Ojeleye, it's nice to see him play solid defense and hit shots, but if he's playing more than 10-15 minutes a night something has gone wrong.

I suppose he could put up better counting stats on a bad team.  I think he pretty much is what he is offensively at this point, except for that he continues to grow and mature as a ballhandler and playmaker, especially out of the pick and roll. 

Personally I hope he stays in Boston another 4-5 years in his current sixth man role.  I think that's the role in which he's going to have the biggest impact on winning for any team, but especially the Celts.

Don't agree about Irving Hayward vs Curry Thompson (plus Gordon isn't a guard), but they have a chance of being better over the course of a series.

I would say that the Celts have a small chance of winning the championship, but only if they manage to get through the East without any injuries and face off against a Warriors team missing either Curry or Durant and with a limiting injury to one of the other key guys (e.g. Draymond, Iggy, or Klay), or against a Rockets team missing Chris Paul or Eric Gordon.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 04:31:04 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Nice work DWC TP, always enjoy your posts and this one had me chuckling and thinking.

Agree! My least favorite take of the last year was that Danny "failed" to trade for Kristaps Porzingis. First off it's ridiculous to assume that we know how serious DA's interest was let alone if it really was feasible, but I also just don't even see why it was the end all be all trade. KP is a very good player and better than I thought he would be but I dont seee him as a vault us into championship contender type. The main thing though is that I started religiously following basketball when Yao was at his peak and I dont' think I'll ever fully trust a player over 7'1 to stay healthy again.

Like Pho said, it's all tied to health. I do think that in Boston playing in our spacing next to legit threats like Kyrie and Hayward, AD would be better equipped to avoid injury but I'm entirely in DA I trust on this one. If we choose to not seek a trade I will think it's the right call, if we trade the farm for him I think it will be the right call. Both paths are almost equally appealing to me.

I've got no time for anti LeBron arguments. You hear them from every drunk Bruins bro in a bar and they're as boring as they are incorrect. He's a top 3 player of all time and will probably finish his career with the best case for GOAT. Moving on...

Second least favorite take of this year is that we somehow should've kept Bradley. There was no way we were keeping Bradley at the price 5 years as a number 1-4 option in Boston would have demanded and he wasn't even much of a leader. Admirable qualities for sure but I'm much more comfortable rooting for him from afar.

You lost me here bud. my eyes are glued to Tatum every game and while I think Ojeyle will prove to be one of DA's greatest picks, Theis was one of the 3 most impactful players to be scooped out of Europe, and Yabu could turn into a valuable contributor on a contender, there's no comparison to the sensation that is Jayson Tatum. The young man is shattering even the most lofty of expectations and it's a joy to witness.

I suppose it should come as no surprise that I'm a Smart fan but ya. I see him as Iguodalla 2.0. Capable playmaker, killer crunch time non scoring instincts, and heir apparent to the best wing defender in the league. May never be an all star but hopefully a Celtic lifer.

We shall see! I put no cieling on this team as currently constructed and think we objectively could be a Hayward away from Banner 18

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »

• Paul Silas
I fully repent from confession 5. I love watching Tatum play more and more. I like watching Theis, tank, and semi play too, but Tatum is fun!

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 11:01:10 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Really good post, even though I don't agree with a lot of your positions. We need more interesting stuff like this here. TP.

On the specific points, I agree fully with #1, and partly with #3, minus the lack of killer instinct stuff others have talked about. I strongly disagree with #6, and while I don't agree with #7 I'm always a fan of irrational optimism. The rest are mostly opinion; I'd like Davis here but maybe not at what he'd cost, I miss Bradley a lot and think he'd be great next to Kyrie, but I understand where you're coming from, and Semi really is a fun player to watch even if Tatum looks like a budding superstar.

EDIT: Just saw this was an older post. Thanks for the bump, I missed it the first time around.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 11:15:54 AM by fairweatherfan »