Author Topic: NCAA Tournament Thread  (Read 54201 times)

Re: NCAA Tournament Thread
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2018, 11:59:18 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'm stating on the record that I feel absolutely no joy as a result of tonight's game(s).

Sike!

The future couldn't be brighter for Duke, though.  'Heels will be playing catch-up for the next few years, I reckon.

How come Droopy dog Williams is losing the recruiting battle so badly to Coach K? Not that UNC has too much to complain about (considering last year's win), but it seems like UNC hasn't been getting the top talent for a while now. You might disagree with me here, but I feel like Hansborough was the last exciting UNC bball player.

I agree.  I think that defines the direction the program is headed as much as anything else.  Probably two reasons: a) Coach K is the most highly-regarded and decorated coach in college, and b) a lot of one-and-done players are choosing slightly less prestigious programs to showcase their talent and/or remain closer to home.  I wouldn't be surprised if the recruitment strategies (e.g., monetary benefits for family) are a factor in some cases, too. 

This is obviously a disadvantage for them.  I expect them to continue to get mostly 4-star recruits with an occasional 5-star guy that may be local and/or find my fan mail persuasive. But, for fans with more patience, every few years they'll assemble a team with vets that have stayed together to compete for a championship and increase their relative draft stock, like last year.  I think this is a larger trend that has benefited a lot of the smaller programs in recent years and explains some of these major upsets. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2018, 01:05:26 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I'm stating on the record that I feel absolutely no joy as a result of tonight's game(s).

Sike!

The future couldn't be brighter for Duke, though.  'Heels will be playing catch-up for the next few years, I reckon.

How come Droopy dog Williams is losing the recruiting battle so badly to Coach K? Not that UNC has too much to complain about (considering last year's win), but it seems like UNC hasn't been getting the top talent for a while now. You might disagree with me here, but I feel like Hansborough was the last exciting UNC bball player.

I agree.  I think that defines the direction the program is headed as much as anything else.  Probably two reasons: a) Coach K is the most highly-regarded and decorated coach in college, and b) a lot of one-and-done players are choosing slightly less prestigious programs to showcase their talent and/or remain closer to home.  I wouldn't be surprised if the recruitment strategies (e.g., monetary benefits for family) are a factor in some cases, too. 

This is obviously a disadvantage for them.  I expect them to continue to get mostly 4-star recruits with an occasional 5-star guy that may be local and/or find my fan mail persuasive. But, for fans with more patience, every few years they'll assemble a team with vets that have stayed together to compete for a championship and increase their relative draft stock, like last year.  I think this is a larger trend that has benefited a lot of the smaller programs in recent years and explains some of these major upsets.

lol. that's pretty awesome if you have ever written to a prospect.

A lot of great Jordan photos you could stick in the envelope..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2018, 01:37:55 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

Sike!

I guess you missed the last 2 national championships...
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2018, 12:39:21 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
That was literally the WORST block/charge call on a CLEAR charge to foul out Wendell Carter.  Ref right there and hesitated and literally decided to GIVE the game to Kansas.  That referee should NEVER EVER be allowed to call ANY basketball game again.  Not a YMCA league game, not a church league game, not a pick up game!!!

That ref DECIDED that game on the WORST call in OT in NCAA history!!  And I am NOT a Duke fan, but an NC State fan!!

And Allen did come up HUGE at the end of regulation my taking over the game and getting to the line twice and hitting all four FT's and then making the perfect move and shot to have literally the WORST luck ever as the shot appeared to go down, not once, but twice, and rim out.

I would be ECSTATIC if Grayson fell to us with our pick!!!  He is the type of player you want on YOUR team!!!  He is a work in progress regarding his "issues," but he has really matured this year and he is certainly an Alpha!!!

Smitty77
well that you have that out of your system, i did not see the game but would appreciate it if someone were to post a video of what smitty77 is carrying on about. thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFeOxegQxcs

I was rooting for Duke.  At the time I thought it was a horrible call.

In hindsight, though, the Kansas player had already left his feet and was in the act of shooting a layup before Carter was completely set.  Carter was there, but he hadn't clearly established position, as his right foot was still dragging.

I don't know the specifics of the rule, but it's often stated that you need both feet set.  If that's the rule, the officials probably got that call right.

The announcer of the game disagreed and said he thought that the KS player had NOT already left his feet.

Smitty77

Announcers are wrong all the time. Watch the replay. He was clearly dragging his foot while the KU player was in the air. At the very least that’s a grey area, right?

It is not just one announcer saying the call was bogus.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/03/26/did-duke-get-jobbed-by-refs-in-overtime-of-kansas-thriller/23395436/

Smitty77

« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2018, 01:16:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That was literally the WORST block/charge call on a CLEAR charge to foul out Wendell Carter.  Ref right there and hesitated and literally decided to GIVE the game to Kansas.  That referee should NEVER EVER be allowed to call ANY basketball game again.  Not a YMCA league game, not a church league game, not a pick up game!!!

That ref DECIDED that game on the WORST call in OT in NCAA history!!  And I am NOT a Duke fan, but an NC State fan!!

And Allen did come up HUGE at the end of regulation my taking over the game and getting to the line twice and hitting all four FT's and then making the perfect move and shot to have literally the WORST luck ever as the shot appeared to go down, not once, but twice, and rim out.

I would be ECSTATIC if Grayson fell to us with our pick!!!  He is the type of player you want on YOUR team!!!  He is a work in progress regarding his "issues," but he has really matured this year and he is certainly an Alpha!!!

Smitty77
well that you have that out of your system, i did not see the game but would appreciate it if someone were to post a video of what smitty77 is carrying on about. thanks in advance.

In hindsight, though, the Kansas player had already left his feet and was in the act of shooting a layup before Carter was completely set.  Carter was there, but he hadn't clearly established position, as his right foot was still dragging.

I don't know the specifics of the rule, but it's often stated that you need both feet set.  If that's the rule, the officials probably got that call right.

I thought it was a block in real time but on the replay it was the right call. Carter was set for a split-second but slid his right foot over at the last instant. If he hadn't made that itty bitty adjustment he should've been fine, but he was moving, it's a block. Granted a block that doesn't always get called that way, but it was called correctly this time. Kudos to the ref for getting a very tough call right.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 01:30:03 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2018, 01:42:01 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Smitty77

I thought it was a block in real time but on the replay it was the right call. Carter was set for a split-second but slid his right foot over at the last instant. If he hadn't made that itty bitty adjustment he should've been fine, but he was moving, it's a block. Granted a block that doesn't always get called that way, but it was called correctly this time. Kudos to the ref for getting a very tough call right.

Yeah, I'm not sure that's an accurate assessment of how the call is supposed to be judged.

Carter's hips and shoulders were square and his body position didn't change once the player left the floor. Sure, his right foot slid a little bit, but it had no impact on Carter's body positioning. Had his foot stayed where it was before the player left the floor his hips and shoulders would have been in the exact same spot anyway. The bottom line is he beat the offensive player to the spot before he gathered to go up for the shot.

But I can accept that it was a borderline call, and in truth Duke never should have let the game get to that point anyway, so it is what it is. And anyone who watches college basketball often enough knows their refs are even worse than NBA refs when it comes to the block/charge call. Pinning your hopes on them getting a call like that right is a fools errand.

« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2018, 01:50:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Smitty77

The announcer of the game disagreed and said he thought that the KS player had NOT already left his feet.

Smitty77

Announcers are wrong all the time. Watch the replay. He was clearly dragging his foot while the KU player was in the air. At the very least that’s a grey area, right?

It is not just one announcer saying the call was bogus.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/03/26/did-duke-get-jobbed-by-refs-in-overtime-of-kansas-thriller/23395436/

Smitty77

Two members of the media can be just as wrong as one. Especially when the article says this:

Replays showed that Carter had established two feet outside the restricted area before Newman began his ascent toward the basket.

That’s just not accurate, as anybody with working vision can see Carter sliding his foot.

His feet weren’t set. That makes it, at worst, a borderline call.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2018, 01:52:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Smitty77

Yeah, I'm not sure that's an accurate assessment of how the call is supposed to be judged.

Carter's hips and shoulders were square and his body position didn't change once the player left the floor. Sure, his right foot slid a little bit, but it had no impact on Carter's body positioning. Had his foot stayed where it was before the player left the floor his hips and shoulders would have been in the exact same spot anyway. The bottom line is he beat the offensive player to the spot before he gathered to go up for the shot.

But I can accept that it was a borderline call, and in truth Duke never should have let the game get to that point anyway, so it is what it is. And anyone who watches college basketball often enough knows their refs are even worse than NBA refs when it comes to the block/charge call. Pinning your hopes on them getting a call like that right is a fools errand.
I have probably seen that same play about 10000 times between college and pro. Probably saw it called 5000 for blocking and 5000 for charging. There is really no right or wrong call with it given its a judgment call based on a split second view of if that foot was completely in place or not and if the player had secured position whether that last foot was finished moving its last inch or so to acquire that position.

Don't have any problem with the call.

« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2018, 06:45:25 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
If you could watch only one semifinal which would it be ?

i am leaning towards loyola-michigan (the time suits better too)

« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2018, 07:46:01 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Gee. Do ya think maybe the tourney slept on Penn State?

« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
UConn women lose. Shocking.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If you could watch only one semifinal which would it be ?

i am leaning towards loyola-michigan (the time suits better too)

Loyola/Michigan.  I'm amped for that game.  Totally on the Ramblers bandwagon.

Probably a good thing for women's college basketball, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2018, 11:28:46 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Not really.  UConn lost in the semis last year too.  Notre Dame generally plays them tough.  They played earlier in the season and UConn only won by 9 and it was a closer game than that as I recall.

« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2018, 12:31:23 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

To me, it's crazy when you think about the UConn women's dominance.

A 2 point OT loss yesterday, a 2 point OT loss in 2017, and a 2 point OT loss in 2015.  If one shot falls different in those games, they're looking at a 200 game win streak and 6 straight championships.

I know a lot of people don't respect the women's game, and while it is much more top heavy, UConn still plays all the other teams ranked in the Top-5 every year (Stanford, Maryland, Baylor, South Carolina, Notre Dame, every one but Tennessee).  About a third of their games are against ranked opponents, and more than half of those are against teams ranked in the top 10.  They play all the best competition out there.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2018, 03:37:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Not really.  UConn lost in the semis last year too.  Notre Dame generally plays them tough.  They played earlier in the season and UConn only won by 9 and it was a closer game than that as I recall.
they were a mich weaker team last year than this year
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip