Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Bucks (0-0) Round 2 Game 1 4/28/19  (Read 57631 times)

Celtics (0-0) at Bucks (0-0) Round 2 Game 1 4/28/19
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:00:51 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (0-0) at Milwaukee Bucks (0-0)
Sunday, April 28, 2019
1:00 PM ET
Round 2 Game #1 Road Game #1
TV:  ABC
Radio: 98.5 Sports Hub, 103.3 FM WTMJ
Fiserv Forum

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Kyrie Irving vs Eric Bledsoe

Shooting Guard
vs 
Jaylen Brown vs Sterling Brown

Small Forward

vs 
Jayson Tatum vs Khris Middleton

Power Forward
  vs 
Al Horford vs Giannis Antetokounmpo

Center

vs 
Aron Baynes vs Brook Lopez

Celtics Reserves
Gordon Hayward
Terry Rozier
Daniel Theis
Brad Wanamaker
Robert Williams III
Semi Ojeleye
Guerschon Yabusele
Jonathan Gibson
Marcus Morris

Injuries
Marcus Smart (oblique) questionable

Two Way Players
RJ Hunter
P. J. Dozier

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Bucks Reserves
Pat Connaughton
Tim Frazier
George Hill
Ersan Ilyasova
Nikola Mirotic
Tony Snell
DJ Wilson

Injuries

Malcolm Brogdonn (plantar fascia) questionable
Donte DiVicenzo (heel)  out
Pau Gasol (ankle) out

Two Way Players

Trevon Duval
Bonzie Colson

Head Coach
Mike Budenholzer

Game Notes
The Celtics and Bucks now advance to the second round after both teams swept their opponents in the first round.  The Celtics beat the Bucks last season in the first round 4 games to 3.  This year's series will look a lot different than last year's as both teams have upgraded their rosters and young players on both sides have more experience.

The Bucks won the series this season 2-1.  The Celtics handed the Bucks their first loss when they won 117-113 on November 1 at Boston.  The Celtics were 24-55 on three pointers and Jaylen Brown missed the game.  The Bucks beat the Celtics 120-107 in Boston on 12/21.  Aron Baynes, Al Horford, and Marcus Morris all missed that game.  The Bucks beat the Celtics 98-97 in Milwaukee on 2/21.  The Celtics were without Baynes and Gordon Hayward. 

Just as in the series with the Indiana Pacers, this series will be a defensive battle.  The Celtics have the top defensive rating of 95.8 while the Bucks have the third best defensive rating at 96.8.  During the regular season,  the Bucks had the top defensive rating at 104.9 while the Celtics were 6th with a defensive rating of 107.0.  In the first round, the Celtics faced the 6th best defense while the Bucks faced the Pistons, whose defensive rating was last among playoff teams. 

The Celtics are hoping to get Marcus Smart back sometime during this round.  He has been seen jogging and shooting and hopefully will be back soon.  The Bucks are also hoping to get a key player back as Malcolm Brogdon has been out for a month with a plantar fascia tear and is expected back some time in this round. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Al Horford vs Giannis Antetokounmpo
This matchup is key for both teams.  Antetokounmpo is arguably the best player in this series and likely will be this year's MVP.  He is averaging 26.3 points, 12 rebounds, 3.5 assists, and 1.5 blocks in the playoffs so far.  He is shooting 52.1% from the field and 23.5%  from beyond the arc.  Last year, Brad turned to Semi Ojeleye to guard Antetokounmpo and he did a good job.  It's possible he may go to him again should Al struggle to slow him down.  The Celtics will need Al to continue to do all the things that he does to help the Celtics win. 

vs
Kyrie Irving vs Eric Bledsoe
Last year Terry Rozier and Eric Bledsoe had a running feud in their first round match up with each player taking shots at the other in the media.  This year, Kyrie will likely give Bledsoe all he can on the court with not so much trash talking.  Bledsoe is averaging 19.3 points, 4 rebounds, and 5.3 assists.  He is shooting 52.5% from the field and 31.6% from three.  Kyrie will need to keep the aggressive mindset that he had in the first round, especially on the defensive end. 

Honorable Mention
Jayson Tatum vs Khris Middleton
Middleton is averaging 19.0 points, 5.5 rebounds and 4.3 assists.  He is shooting 46.2% from the field and 45.8% from beyond the arc.  The Celtics need to run him off of the 3 point line especially.  Tatum played very well in the first round and the Celtics will need him to continue to be aggressive and to play hard in this round if they want to beat the Bucks.

Keys to the Game
Defense - Defense wins championships and defense will decide this series.  The Celtics have the top defensive rating of 95.8 while the Bucks have the third best defensive rating of 96.8 in the playoffs.  The Celtics are allowing just 91.2 points per game while the Bucks are allowing 98 points per game.  The Bucks averaged 121.8 points in their first round matchup with Detroit, while the Celtics averaged just 99.3 points in their first round against the Pacers.  The Celtics will struggle if they try to outscore the Bucks and so they need to defend and limit the Bucks scoring. 

Rebound - Next to defense, rebounding will be key for the Celtics.  So far, the Celtics have done a good job on the boards in the first round.   It takes effort to rebound and when the Celtics put out that extra effort to get rebounds, it usually translates to other areas of their game.  The Bucks are averaging 55.3 rebounds per game (1st) while the Celtics are averaging 47.8 rebounds per game (3rd).  The Celtics must continue to crash the glass as a team and give even more effort on the boards in this game. 

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics have to be the more aggressive team from start to finish.  They have to be aggressive in going after loose balls and on defense and going to the basket and grabbing rebounds.   The Celtics  have to be the team that plays harder and is more aggressive if they want to get a win in this game. They have to come out being more aggressive and they have to be more aggressive for the entire game.  No let up.   

Move the Ball Carefully -  When the Celtics move the ball and find the open man,  they are tough to beat. They have to play team ball and trust each other and make the extra pass to find the open man.  But, in moving the ball, they have to be careful.  The Celtics averaged 16 turnovers in the first round and they simply can't turn the ball over like that against the Bucks, who are first in the league with 19.8 fast break points per game.  They must take better care of the ball.

X-Factors
On the Road - The Celtics will open this round on the road.  The Bucks were a very good home team this season, losing just 8 games at home all season.  The Celtics struggled a bit on the road in the regular season, going 21-20 on the road but they won their first 2 games on the road in the first round.  The Celtics must block out the distractions of playing on the road and focus on playing Celtics basketball.  Without home court advantage in this round,  they must win on the road. 

Coaching - Both teams are well coached.  Mike Budenholzer was chosen by his peers as the Coach of the year.  As with every series, this will be a chess match and from quarter to quarter, coaches must make adjustments.  Coaching becomes more important in the playoffs and so Brad needs to be ready to counter whatever Budenholzer throws at him. 

Revenge - The Celtics beat the Bucks in 7 games in the first round last season.   I'm sure they have been hoping for a rematch in the playoffs all season as they were dominating the league and the Celtics were underperforming.   They are going to want to beat the Celtics and avenge that first round loss from last year. 

Officiating -Officiating is always an X-Factor.  In the one point win by the Bucks in February, the Final Two Minute report showed 6 different wrong calls or noncalls by the referees.  In a one point game, that can definitely change the outcome.  Whether the refs just miss things or have an agenda doesn't matter.  The way a game is officiated can change the outcome completely.   

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:06:48 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Bucks (0-0) Round 2 Game 1 4/28/19
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 11:02:50 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Go Celtics!

TP for FLCeltsFan! Thanks for the game thread!

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:03:02 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
This is early because they will be cutting of my power to rewire the end of the house that was damaged in the hurricane.  I won't have power from Thursday or Friday for at least 2 days and probably more.  So I wanted to post this early to be sure I got it up.   Nick will get Tuesday's thread if I am still without power by then. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:10:56 PM by FLCeltsFan »

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 11:03:17 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to liam   for being the first to post in the game thread!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Celtics!!!

Beat the Bucks!!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 11:04:22 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
This is early because they will be cutting of my power to rewire the end of the house that was damaged in the hurricane.  I won't have power from Thursday or Friday for at least 2 days and probably more.  So I wanted to post this early to be sure I got it up.

It's much appreciated!

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 11:06:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
This is early because they will be cutting of my power to rewire the end of the house that was damaged in the hurricane.  I won't have power from Thursday or Friday for at least 2 days and probably more.  So I wanted to post this early to be sure I got it up.

It's much appreciated!

ditto    thanks

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 11:10:55 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Bucks got Lopez and Mirotic.
Celtics got Irving and Hayward.

Let's see which renewed team is better this time around.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 11:12:33 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Let's go Celtics!!! It's time to see what this team is really made of!!

I'm guessing CBS changes the starting lineup to match up better with the Bucks though. I can see Morris starting again, or Hayward.

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 11:17:35 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
go C's  :D

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 11:46:46 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Thanks for the thread as always but I think there may be a mistake, I don't recognize this player. Anybody know who he is?

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 12:05:30 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Thanks for the thread as always but I think there may be a mistake, I don't recognize this player. Anybody know who he is?

Uncle Drew?

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2019, 01:22:50 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
GO CELTICS!!!!!!! TP FLCF!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2019, 01:57:19 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Let's get this thing CLICKING. Boom Boom. Kill Kill
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 06:08:49 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Why did they pick 1pm Sunday? I'll be at the Red Sox game!

Well, I guess I'll just have to track/listen to the Celtics at the same time
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2019, 06:21:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Another 3AM local time start >:( Yuck!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)