Author Topic: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?  (Read 90795 times)

Re: Are there any Terry Rozier fans left?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 11:07:10 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Rozier does just about everything better than Smart except passing offensively and is a top notch defender, though not elite. I seriously think they are equally replaceable. Both are horrendous offensively but excellent defensively. Need more offense from our two back up guards to make this team take the next step. Or keep one on the cheap and bring in a scoring backup guard.

Terry has certainly improved his defense, even to the point that I'd call him slightly above average, but I'm completely confused where this notion that he is a "top notch" defender is coming from. Sure, his individual defensive ratings are good, but there's so much noise in the advanced defensive stats that you can't take them at face value without also considering the eye test. And the eye test tells me that he still regularly gambles in bad situations and has problems at times getting around screens.

I think the problem is more of the combination of Smart and Rozier rather than either of them individually. They both seem to play much, much better when with the starters, but together they are just not equipped to handle the bench's offense.

I think Smart clearly brings more to the team than Rozier with his greater defense, versatility, and passing, but Rozier's contract status and cost do make up the gap somewhat.

I think adding a scorer like a Lou Williams with the DPE to pair with Smart would be the best bet for us.

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 11:10:15 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
What exactly are you expecting from your backup PG? I know we are 15-2 and have reached the point where a fandom has to find flaws or things to complain about but Terry Rozier isn't one of them.
No, I think we've reached the point where we're so far removed from 2008-2010 that the fandom has forgotten what a good backup player looks like.

Fun fact: Brian Scalabrine was on that team and shot 39.3%from three (on low volume...).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:40:03 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2017, 11:11:38 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Rozier does just about everything better than Smart except passing offensively and is a top notch defender, though not elite. I seriously think they are equally replaceable. Both are horrendous offensively but excellent defensively. Need more offense from our two back up guards to make this team take the next step. Or keep one on the cheap and bring in a scoring backup guard.

Terry has certainly improved his defense, even to the point that I'd call him slightly above average, but I'm completely confused where this notion that he is a "top notch" defender is coming from. Sure, his individual defensive ratings are good, but there's so much noise in the advanced defensive stats that you can't take them at face value without also considering the eye test. And the eye test tells me that he still regularly gambles in bad situations and has problems at times getting around screens.

I think the problem is more of the combination of Smart and Rozier rather than either of them individually. They both seem to play much, much better when with the starters, but together they are just not equipped to handle the bench's offense.

I think Smart clearly brings more to the team than Rozier with his greater defense, versatility, and passing, but Rozier's contract status and cost do make up the gap somewhat.

I think adding a scorer like a Lou Williams with the DPE to pair with Smart would be the best bet for us.

we need a scorer bad with the DPE.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 11:13:23 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Other than passing/playmaking, Rozier and Smart aren't that different statistically. The edge may actually go to Rozier in that regard.

Intangibly, Smart is much better. Rozier doesn't take charges, or dive for the ball, and he's not usually in the game down the stretch so he doesn't get the chance to make "Game winning plays".

T-Roze is a good defender and was given the Stephen Curry assignment during the C's 19-0 run against the Warriors so he has value, but putting him next to Smart makes him look expendable.

I'm not a fan of either player really, but if I had to choose one, I'm picking Smart every time.

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2017, 11:18:46 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think he's gotten better. He used to be a liability on defense and a spaz on offense. Now I'd say he's slightly above average on defense and below average on offense. Not a good return for a mid-first round pick, but not a bust, either. He's OK.

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2017, 11:44:03 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Definitely high on Terry. His flashes of excellent defense, sound ball handling, strong rebounding and fearless shot making are enough for me.
Not every player is going to play great all the time. Over 82 games, I expect to see many memorable contributions.

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2017, 11:52:30 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yes, Danny clearly is a fan!  8)

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 12:02:05 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Yes

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 02:22:23 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
My biggest problem with Terry Rozier is that he's openly a GMB gang member and nobody seems to care.

Where I am from gangs are people too weak to defend themselves so they band together for safety.  Some guys in the Army tried to use that stuff on me, a guy told me " I am a Crip", I said, "isn't that where you bury dead people" before I laid hands on him.

There is obviously a ton of overlap between Patriots and Celtics fans, after what we all saw go down with Aaron Hernandez I’m surprised more people are not taking the Celtics organization to task on this.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 02:27:33 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Okay, from now on, whenever someone, whether they're a Celtic or not, plays completely out of control, can we say that they've gone "full Rozier" ;)? :laugh:

On a more serious note, we could have replaced both him and Smart with second round picks from this past year in Jawun Evans and Sindarius Thornwell who were taken at 39 and 48, respectively.  Think about that for a moment.  Man that second round was loaded, not to mention the undrafted market, and if we're going for a minor league call-up, allow me to recommend Xavier Rathan-Mayes from the Knicks' g-league affiliate, although I'm not sure that that's possible.  He's not shooting well at the minute and has been inconsistent, but he's as tall as Smart and can actually create his own offense, not to mention pass, rebound, and defend, even though I know that we won't sign him.  It would be awesome to see XRM and Kyrie go at it in practice every day, though, lol.  Nigel Hayes has been beasting, too, btw, not to mention Antonius Cleveland who just signed with the Mavs.  Doh! #ShouldHaveBeenACeltic

I guess that all that I'm trying to say, here, is that we had plenty of better and cheaper options, but we are where we are.  Welp :-\.

Edit - I would have mentioned GP II but he's in Milwaukee so we'd have to trade for him.  Oh darn ::).

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2017, 02:38:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rozier, like Smart, is a classic Danny Ainge hustle guard who can't score with consistency or efficiency.

He makes lots of "winning plays" and is solid to great defensively depending on matchups.

I like having him on the team, so long as he doesn't become super expensive.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2017, 02:45:21 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I claimed Rozier as an X-factor on a thread prior to the season starting. Still going with that notion. Second unit scoring is an issue and Smart is clearly not the answer. The season is young.

Edit**: Rozier has raw offensive penetration skills. Clear ability to create his own shot. Decent on the catch and shoot. He is also the 7th man on a elite Eastern conference team. His room for error is minimal right now. 

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2017, 02:56:57 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Rozier has the talent to be a stud. He can defend and he can ball.

He can knock down clutch shots, he can defend in crunch time. He can swing the ball. He can rip down a board that a PG probably shouldn’t.

Nothing TRIII does surprises me. He’s the untouchable.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2017, 03:19:52 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
One of the youngest minutes-weighted average age teams beats half the league on the trot and threads pop up calling for the head of the 3rd string point guard, and worrying about lebron joining philadelphia.

I'm now convinced this board can never truly remain positive about anything.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2017, 06:59:39 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Terry has fantastic energy, is in the vicinity for every loose ball/rebound, plays hard D, and can absolutely hit an open 3. I wish he would better figure out his driving game since he moves so well and covers so much ground, but it doesn't look promising.

And, what's your solution, to play Larkin more or unleash Smart's outside shooting on the opponent? As a back-up guard making under $2M/yr, I am not sure what else we could hope for. He is an all-world athlete and proven NBA player - with [believe it or not] still potential to tighten things up on the offensive end.

He hasn’t improved in three years, he is a really bad shooter, and defensively he always takes the second best guard so his impact is mitigated.

Well over half his minutes have been next to Smart. Having two guys the opponent barely has to cover will eventually bite us.

Not sure that answers jambr380's question.

My solution? Acquire a guy who can play. I don’t care if it’s a free agent like Deron, a trade, a D-League call-up, etc. Backup PGs who can’t shoot or pass aren’t worth having, especially when they’re playing beside an even worse shooter.

1. Deron plays ZERO minutes with Stevens with his (lack of) defense. He's not last year's IT to compensate with the offense.

2. James Young just scored 40. This is the G-League level.

3. I don't know if you can upgrade Rozier (knowing the system and contract, putting aside his skills where we don't agree at all) in a reasonable trade right now. You can't trade rotation player after winning 15 in a row and Yabusele, Nader etc. can't get you a stud.

So you complain about the seventh-eighth player in a 15 game-winning-streak team (not very understandable) and propose such solutions instead. Not very inspiring. As JDZ (TP) has said, we can't remain positive even with our great situation.