Author Topic: Yabusele fed on g league  (Read 3465 times)

Yabusele fed on g league
« on: January 16, 2018, 10:04:33 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Played very aggressively for Red Claws yesterday in route to 32points and filled the stat sheet.
He definitely showed he doesn't want to stay.
It wasn't the talent difference it was confidence and aggression.
He is so tentative and lost in front of huge crowds and NBA defensive rotations and talent.But he was ripping the ball away knocking big guys like bowling pins and swatting shots.
That was the kind of energy he must bring in Boston.

Re: Yabusele fed on g league
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 10:07:55 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Just saw the highlights. He was impressive. He scored 9 points in the first 1:15 of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZOIhpqT26Q

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 10:15:57 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Man on a mission.

Rooting hard for him to succeed.

Likable kid....hope he pushes through.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 10:24:57 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He fed on something, that's for sure...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
he is such a unique player I really hope he figures it out at the NBA level
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 11:03:09 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Thanks, Rollie. I recorded the game, figuring he might be playing, but haven't watched it yet.

I agree with you regarding his aggressiveness, or lack thereof when playing with the big boys.  Maybe Brad can coax him into playing the same way. I think partly he is worried about doing something stupid, and/or getting into foul trouble.  The fact that Brad gives him a very short leash doesn't help. 

Semi gets away with sub-par play on offense because his defense is so good. Yabu can't cover low post guys as effectively. 

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 11:07:55 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Really hope he can maintain his weight. Will be tough for a kid of his build.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 11:09:31 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He's carrying a second adult body on his behind.  Makes these performances all the more special.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 11:42:12 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
He's done this before in the G League.  Dominates.  Looks like a different player down there.   

Unfortunately I don't see how we find him an opportunity with Boston.  He's not taking minutes from Tatum.  Morris needs more work as he gets in shape, not less.  Theis is playing well for us.  Ojeleye is the weak link who I'd like to push out of the rotation if possible, but I don't know that Yabu has the lateral quickness to guard the perimeter full time.  So unless we trade him into a situation where he has playing time, Yabu will have to be patient and opportunistic for a while. 

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 12:21:37 PM »

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
He looks like a mini-Cousins.

Hopefully we'll see some of that confidence whenever he gets the chance to show himself.

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 12:22:38 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Except for the headband he looked like a cross between Steph Curry and King Charles draining trees and slashing to the hoop.

Regrettably, he only gets about 90 seconds a game up here....because the Celtics are really good and he is clueless for the above 90 seconds.

His size and mobility should get him a job in the NBA somewhere, maybe it was the headband? Like putting blinkers on Secretariat...he's gonna win the triple crown now.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 01:36:21 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
His combination of strength, touch, quickness, and his motor has been murder in the G-League. And he's looked lost in the NBA.

He's not there yet but a year of experience around NBA players and I think he might make Marcus Morris expendable for next season (assuming Hayward/Tatum are the full time starting forwards). Nice to see him doing well in the G-League, fwiw.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
he is such a unique player I really hope he figures it out at the NBA level

I do, too. Definitely worth a mid-first round pick, with the potential to be a matchup nightmare on offense.  The great ones are all unique; I’m not betting on greatness for him, but there’s a place for unguardable players on any team. If you’re going to run offense through him, he’s going to have to figure out more ways to make a play (in the video that DefenseWinsChamps shared, there are some encouraging signs).

Really hope he can maintain his weight. Will be tough for a kid of his build.

He's carrying a second adult body on his behind.  Makes these performances all the more special.

Good points, and I’d agree that it’s remarkable that he can do what he does.

But the weight is not the only thing he’ll have to deal with with his body going forward. His structure is not great - the two sides of his pelvis don’t have good alignment, with the left tilting forward compared to the right, and the pelvis as a whole tilting forward a fair amount on top of that. I’d say he moves pretty well in general but his laterals are not at all awesome, and individual defense is not likely to be a strength. He should be able to rebound both boards, though his results so far (small sample size, to be sure) are only encouraging for the offensive end.

The pelvic tilt exaggerates his apparent belly and butt.  He’s not as fat as he looks - but by the same token, putting on weight will exaggerate any issues, including that huge red flag last summer with his foot bone spurs and surgery.  That’s likely to come back in one form or another.  If he’s a rotation player at, say, age 32, it’ll be quite an accomplishment - as much for his body making it as for his skill development.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:57:59 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
well yabu can dominate the chinese super league and g league sure... but that's not why we drafted him.  we want him to do this kind of stuff against nba level competition.  if he can play like that in the NBA, then he will be special.  otherwise he will be a case of a player with tantalizing tools who just never put it all together.

that crossover for a score that he pulled off though... i was like what, he can do that?

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 08:24:35 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
A lot to like, that is for sure but now all I see when I look at him play is his tilted pelvis.