Author Topic: Maybe Brandon Jennings won't start a trend after all (Jeremy Tyler quits)  (Read 8681 times)

Re: Maybe Brandon Jennings won't start a trend after all.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 12:09:16 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think if anything this just shows that the NBA should increase their age limit or lower it to 18 but then change the rules for guaranteed contracts for players under a certain age. I would guess that would be illegal so then change the contract obligations for all players entering the league.

Make the age 18 but change the contracts of first round draft picks to lower yearly salaries, one year guaranteed with two options therafter. One, pick up an option of three years at an increased salary whereby the team owns the players Bird rights and the current rules then come in with restricted free agency after the third year and qualifying offers and such. And two, a one year option at a much reduced price whereby after that year the player is an unrestricted free agent.

The other thing is, as far as I am concerned, minimum requirement for entrance into the NBA is a high school diploma and no that doesn't mean a GED.
I would be fine with messing with many of the things you mention, but definitely not the HS diploma requirement. I see no need to have any education requirements. The individual teams can make that call.

There are way too many reasons why people have problems in school to make it a requirement for jobs that really don't need it.

I disagree... Not every athlete who goes pro ends up having a 13-18 yr career. There's nothing wrong with enforcing education.
The same can be said for everyone who drops out of high school, even those who don't play basketball. Why is that relevant to them pursuing a career in the NBA?

If we maintain the current age limitation, individuals aren't dropping out of HS for the NBA anyway. They would be dropping out for other reasons. Why should the NBA not allow them to eventually play in the NBA one day just because they don't have a HS diploma?

I'd rather see more players play full time in lesser leagues at 17 or 18 rather than having schools pretend they are in good academic standing.

The guy who failed in Israel probably underestimated how hard it would be. Perhaps he went there because he thought it would be a shortcut. If players go there expecting it to be difficult, we might see better results.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Part of my desire for a high school diploma is that I want these kids to go through 4 years of high school coaching but also make them know that you need to do more in life than be good at basketball to go on in life. For every Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett there are thousands and thousands of almost talented enough for pro ball kids that think they don't have to go to class or study or anything else because they can play ball. What happens to those kids when they find out, they aren't good enough for the pros?

This way if it is a requirement for NBA employment and these kids know this at 12, 13 and 14 as 8th graders and freshmen in HS while AAU and HS coaches and agents are already starting to whisper in their ears about future greatness, they will know that without a doubt they will have to finish HS, at the very least.

And if come their senior year they start to find out they are just on the cusp, having that HS diploma gets them into colleges where further education and opportunities, even basketball opportunities can be created.

I would definitely demand a HS diploma be required if the age returns to 18. Maybe not for the good of those that are good enough to make it, but for the good of those that aren't.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't care about the education part of things.

I just want high draft pick's games to be ready when they enter the league and the age restriction has achieved that.

Offline asterix

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
I don't think any general conclusions can be drawn in this case. From day one he played as if he was here to pass the time untill being selected by an NBA team. The level of the Israeli league is not very high and yet he couldn't even make a minimal impact. Just an overhiped headcase, if you ask me.