Author Topic: Maybe Brandon Jennings won't start a trend after all (Jeremy Tyler quits)  (Read 8717 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I was definitely thinking Europe might become the new big thing, but a trend starts at #2, not one. So essentially we have Kobe and Jermaine O'Neal to thank for the high school thing, not so much KG.

But maybe we'll be thanking this kid for ending a possible trend

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5008825
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:05:44 PM by Roy Hobbs »

Re: Maybe Brandon Jennings won't start a trend after all.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:37:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I was definitely thinking Europe might become the new big thing, but a trend starts at #2, not one. So essentially we have Kobe and Jermaine O'Neal to thank for the high school thing, not so much KG.

But maybe we'll be thanking this kid for ending a possible trend

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5008825

Sonny Vaccaro is right. It's a mental challenge more than a basketball challenge.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:45:09 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
It's a learning process.  Jennings is a tough kid and I think he was prepared for this type of thing.  This kid must be doing something wrong, either at practice or hustling or something, that is not getting his minutes and instead of working on the floor he is taking the other road.  I dont blame the kid.  It's a tough situation.  You have to be mentally tough, have that workhorse mentality and the "I'm gonna prove" mentality to get there.  It can't be just about the immediate money he makes.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 12:46:58 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Yay go to Isreal to play basketball instead of going to college and having fun and playing basketball in the US (lol) .  Not sure why anyone thought it would be trend other than those players that actually fail to qualify for college.  Sonny Vaccaro is a blight on Basketball.

Jennings should have gone to college as well.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 01:01:53 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
This kid skipped out of HS to go play pro ball, which is different than getting out of HS and bypassing the NCAA.

Being a professional at anything requires a certain level of [adult] maturity that Jennings had and this kid doesn't yet.  Jennings went to Europe and learned he had to work and earn it, and he did.  This kid responded differently.

Personally, I'd just as well see a young guy go to Europe and get paid to play basketball than go to college and let the NCAA money machine make the money, while scrutinizing every gift he gets from anyone.  The NCAA amounts to indentured servitude, which, I thought, was illegal.

FWIW, last I read, old pal Brandon Hunter was playing in Israel.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:04:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
NBDL here he comes!!

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 01:27:55 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I may have called this from day 1. I'm always right about the wrong things.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 01:30:31 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
This kid skipped out of HS to go play pro ball, which is different than getting out of HS and bypassing the NCAA.

Being a professional at anything requires a certain level of [adult] maturity that Jennings had and this kid doesn't yet.  Jennings went to Europe and learned he had to work and earn it, and he did.  This kid responded differently.

Personally, I'd just as well see a young guy go to Europe and get paid to play basketball than go to college and let the NCAA money machine make the money, while scrutinizing every gift he gets from anyone.  The NCAA amounts to indentured servitude, which, I thought, was illegal.

FWIW, last I read, old pal Brandon Hunter was playing in Israel.

Like they actually scrutinize them.  Poor kids are subjugated to going to college for free ..... to play bball.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 01:46:21 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
One of the great arguements as why they need to increase the age of players comming into the NBA.  Let them mature.  More importantly, give teams a real chance to scout them.

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 02:03:28 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
He had behavior and attitude problems from day 1, and in minutes he was given, didn't prove that he deserves more. Tyler just wasn't there mentally. Not every kid can can handle it at such a young age.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 03:26:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It's a learning process.  Jennings is a tough kid and I think he was prepared for this type of thing.  This kid must be doing something wrong, either at practice or hustling or something, that is not getting his minutes and instead of working on the floor he is taking the other road.  I dont blame the kid.  It's a tough situation.  You have to be mentally tough, have that workhorse mentality and the "I'm gonna prove" mentality to get there.  It can't be just about the immediate money he makes.
Maybe he isn't doing anything wrong. He might not be good enough yet. He is 6' 11". His height is there, but is his game there? Does he have the savvy to contribute to the team instead of disrupting the team due to a lack of understanding of how to play on a team?

One problem is that we often overestimate the quality of basketball in the NCAA and underestimate the quality of professional leagues elsewhere. There are probably starters in the NCAA tourney who won't even be good enough for the NBDL.

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 03:34:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think if anything this just shows that the NBA should increase their age limit or lower it to 18 but then change the rules for guaranteed contracts for players under a certain age. I would guess that would be illegal so then change the contract obligations for all players entering the league.

Make the age 18 but change the contracts of first round draft picks to lower yearly salaries, one year guaranteed with two options therafter. One, pick up an option of three years at an increased salary whereby the team owns the players Bird rights and the current rules then come in with restricted free agency after the third year and qualifying offers and such. And two, a one year option at a much reduced price whereby after that year the player is an unrestricted free agent.

The other thing is, as far as I am concerned, minimum requirement for entrance into the NBA is a high school diploma and no that doesn't mean a GED.

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think if anything this just shows that the NBA should increase their age limit or lower it to 18 but then change the rules for guaranteed contracts for players under a certain age. I would guess that would be illegal so then change the contract obligations for all players entering the league.

Make the age 18 but change the contracts of first round draft picks to lower yearly salaries, one year guaranteed with two options therafter. One, pick up an option of three years at an increased salary whereby the team owns the players Bird rights and the current rules then come in with restricted free agency after the third year and qualifying offers and such. And two, a one year option at a much reduced price whereby after that year the player is an unrestricted free agent.

The other thing is, as far as I am concerned, minimum requirement for entrance into the NBA is a high school diploma and no that doesn't mean a GED.
I would be fine with messing with many of the things you mention, but definitely not the HS diploma requirement. I see no need to have any education requirements. The individual teams can make that call.

There are way too many reasons why people have problems in school to make it a requirement for jobs that really don't need it.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 11:06:25 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I would be fine with messing with many of the things you mention, but definitely not the HS diploma requirement. I see no need to have any education requirements. The individual teams can make that call.

There are way too many reasons why people have problems in school to make it a requirement for jobs that really don't need it.

I disagree... Not every athlete who goes pro ends up having a 13-18 yr career. There's nothing wrong with enforcing education.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
What's wrong with a high education? Not much in this day in age.