Poll

Would you rather make a million per to play in Europe or 750K to play in the US (Boston not an option)

Europe
2 (33.3%)
US
4 (66.7%)
split it up
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Hypothetical question about playing overseas or in the US  (Read 4251 times)

Hypothetical question about playing overseas or in the US
« on: November 03, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I guess I'd pick Europe. I guess it depends on the city. But generally speaking Europe

Re: Hypothetical question about playing overseas or in the US
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 05:14:35 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'd rather play against the best competition in the world, and have a shot at the NBA championship.  Also, assuming I didn't get to pick the city, there are a lot of places in Europe I don't think I'd be comfortable living, whereas I think I could adapt fairly easily to anywhere in the U.S.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 05:23:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'd rather play against the best competition in the world, and have a shot at the NBA championship.  Also, assuming I didn't get to pick the city, there are a lot of places in Europe I don't think I'd be comfortable living, whereas I think I could adapt fairly easily to anywhere in the U.S.

Well now that you put it that way Roy

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

not to mention that most articles describe the US athletes being pampered more than the Euro ones...

i think it would need to a drastic difference in pay to make me want to play there...(although there are some places that would be wonderful to be in, i.e., Italy)

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 05:50:47 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I guess it would depend in this hypothetical whether I was dealing with the amount of talent that I actually have, or if I had enough game to play at any level.

Considering my lack of conditioning, skill level, age, and the status of my two creeky knees, I'd take the opportunity to see some of Europe and make a million.
Yup

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 06:00:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

When you say the best competition in the world I'd think that means the Olympics actually and you don't get paid for that. I think we sort of define best competition differently than the Euros. I mean if Brandon Jennings isn't significant over there and his team wins a lot of games, then he looks like the next Lebron here, and his team wins no games I'm not sure that leads me to think we have the best competition in the world here, actually.

After seeing how our teams did against theirs in the preseason maybe I would, but I'm just not sure the NBA automatically has the best competition in the world just because it's the NBA.  The world baseball classic is another example of that. Granted there's a lot of MLB talent there, but still. Also I'm not sure about hockey.

I might rather play with better talent too. You could play with a very good Euro team or with a horrid NBA team like Sacramento. 

In fact just think of it that way. You can play in Sacramento, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, or Rome, Vilnius, Barcelona, Madrid, or Moscow for more money. 

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 08:22:33 PM »

Offline mrkelly

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Generally, Europe, but first you have to find the team that will actually pay you the money the promise ;)

(Read Paul Shirley's book)