Author Topic: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages  (Read 9390 times)

Re: Celtics Back of the Jersey Messages
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2020, 05:05:02 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 21
I think when you're the one white guy on the team and your teammates have a bunch of messages along the lines of "equality," "BLM" etc, it comes across a certain way when you go with "Education Reform."

https://www.opensecrets.org/donor-lookup/results?name=robyn+hayward

That's definitely not a good look lol.

Where does this end? Let's check Danny Ainge, he probably voted for Trump too.

Cancel culture will probably cause the Celtics owners to fire Ainge, and trade or cut Gordon Hayward, because they happen to be Republicans.

Scandalous.

I personally doubt Danny Ainge voted for Trump.  My guess is he voted for Evan McMullin.

That said, before I posted the link above, I looked him up, and his donations were to Romney, Pags during his Senate bid, and Tanner Ainge during his run for Congress a couple years ago.

Finally, the point isn't about "cancel culture" at all.  It's that Hayward picked the phrase that was least like that of his teammates, and he/his spouse contributed money to Trump a week before the election in 2016, so it really does stand out and call into question his intent behind choosing that particular phrase.

Why is that phrase least like his teammates? Why is it bad to donate money along party lines? Intent? Reaching.

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2020, 05:06:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think when you're the one white guy on the team and your teammates have a bunch of messages along the lines of "equality," "BLM" etc, it comes across a certain way when you go with "Education Reform."

Yes, she and 63 million other people supported a Republican candidate.  Time to form a lynch mob I guess.

and he/his spouse contributed money to Trump a week before the election in 2016

A bit sexist to assume that Robyn votes the same way as her husband, isn’t it?  Are women not allowed to have their own voice?  That’s oddly illiberal for somebody criticizing Hayward for his perceived lack of polical correctness.

No, I don't think it is.  It's just what's most likely the case.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2016/10/18/most-trump-clinton-backers-say-spouses-share-their-vote-preferences/

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 05:10:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yes, she and 63 million other people supported a Republican candidate.  Time to form a lynch mob I guess.

A bit sexist to assume that Robyn votes the same way as her husband, isn’t it?  Are women not allowed to have their own voice?  That’s oddly illiberal for somebody criticizing Hayward for his perceived lack of polical correctness.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2016/10/18/most-trump-clinton-backers-say-spouses-share-their-vote-preferences/

“Most likely” and “factually accurate” aren’t the same thing.

You’re stereotyping people based upon a reported 78% probability.  That’s intolerant and sexist. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 05:11:54 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens

Haywards are most likely Republicans.  That shouldn't matter.  Look at how they treat others. Link an article of where they have not supported education, kids, hospitals and have done something you would not like.  Unless you are a Jazz fan.

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2020, 05:12:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You’re stereotyping people based upon a reported 78% probability.  That’s intolerant and sexist.

If I called you sexist you’d ban me.  Farewell, Celticsstrong.

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 05:22:11 PM »

Offline NorthStation

• NCE
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
Stupid.  I wish everybody had followed LeBron’s lead on this. Trite wording on the back of a jersey means nothing. If the players care, they should use their massive platforms and millions of dollars to affect real change.

Yeah, LeBron's take on this made me respect and appreciate him more than ever.

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 05:33:56 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I don't understand how we've come to defend Trump on this website. I don't care abut your political affiliations, BUT I was merely pointing that statement out --- as in the fact Robyn donating to Trump & Hayward's Education Reform wouldn't have been a good look, because we would all assume the worst in today's cancel culture. And taking into consideration, Hayward has been a scapegoat/easy target. But it seems to me that you were personally insulted by that.

I would like to mention that if you support Trump, that there is a possibility you could be labeled a racist.

And I also agree with saltlover, making those remarks like we're sexist/intolerant would've probably led to a ban or serious warning to be banned.

I've supported and stood by this site for a long time. I thank you for guys for the memories, and have had interesting and lovely discussions about this forum.

Farewell, Celticsstrong, it's been real.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2020, 05:36:21 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
This thread is an insufferable reach. Blasting a guy for having “Education Reform” printed across his back (alongside other POC athletes) is insane, and kinda proves his point.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2020, 05:37:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This thread is an insufferable reach. Blasting a guy for having “Education Reform” printed across his back (alongside other POC athletes) is insane, and kinda proves his point.

Yet the fact remains that it would've been really easy to avoid this reaction if he'd just put "BLM" on the back of his jersey.  Or even something innocuous like "Freedom" or "Love Us."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2020, 05:40:49 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I think you're overthinking it, PhoSita.

Could be, but it's a pretty common reaction across the interwebs, and that sort of proves my point.

Whatever he meant by it, it's an unnecessary self own that furthers an annoying narrative.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2020, 05:43:16 PM »

Offline Greengang5

• Brad Stevens

I think you're overthinking it, PhoSita.

Could be, but it's a pretty common reaction across the interwebs, and that sort of proves my point.

Whatever he meant by it, it's an unnecessary self own that furthers an annoying narrative.

Annoying to who? Doubt Hayward reads or cares about the reaction to his completely appropriate selection.

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2020, 05:43:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If I called you sexist you’d ban me.  Farewell, Celticsstrong.

If I acted sexist, call me out for it.  You’re certainly fine implying Gordon is racist.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2020, 05:45:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Oh, “love us” would have been much worse.  The “us” doesn’t include Hayward, because we like to divide and judge people.

Yet the fact remains that it would've been really easy to avoid this reaction if he'd just put "BLM" on the back of his jersey.  Or even something innocuous like "Freedom" or "Love Us."

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2020, 05:45:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Who cares?? He put something league-approved on his jersey that he presumably believes in. This is such a nonissue
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think this is kind of a reach. Look its entirely possible that Gordon Hayward it purposefully picking a somewhat mild jersey moniker because of his politics, his wifes politics, whatever. But as Jaylen Brown once tweeted....

"Educational inequality is the most subtle form of racism"

So  unless the guy comes out and says something that would lead me to believe this is a gimmick and he's using it to avoid criticism then I'm going to assume its in good faith. Its possible he voted for trump but still thinks educational reform is important, educational inequality is after all a huge issue. Or even maybe he like many millions of white Americans have changed their views in the past 4 years.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 05:52:37 PM by keevsnick »