Poll

What grade do you give the Celtics off-season so far??

A
5 (6.5%)
B
22 (28.6%)
C
18 (23.4%)
D
19 (24.7%)
F
10 (13%)
Undecided right now
3 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: Poll: Grade Celtics off-season so far  (Read 5519 times)

Re: Poll: Grade Celtics off-season so far
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
A solid B.  It seems like they tried in a number of ways to go for fireworks, but the opportunities didn't present themselves.  At the end, they made solid draft picks and didn't make any panic moves.  The team now is better than the team that finished last season, and there are no long-term commitments that get in the way of future attempts at the home run.

Couldn't care less if Ainge tried hard; he couldn't close. Therefore, because of his failure, we're stuck with four underwhelming draft choices, and a squad replete with role players.

Someone doesn't understand what a trade is I see.

So many people who think they are smarter than Danny.

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 11:31:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
A trade is a sale.

Takes two willing partners, but it always requires one or both to CLOSE.

We can say, yes, Danny Ainge can't force other teams to trade with him.  But we can also say, accurately, that he failed to close the deal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »

Offline Shamrocker

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 69
A trade is a sale.

We can say, yes, Danny Ainge can't force other teams to trade with him.  But we can also say, accurately, that he failed to close the deal.

Per usual, you've perfectly captured my feelings on the matter. His job is to close deals, period.

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 11:42:17 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
A trade is a sale.

That is interesting logic.

So if a potential trade required Danny to give full far more than is fair, and he doesn't proceed with it, that makes him a failure?

Making a trade for the sake of making a trade isn't a good thing.

Lol at failing to close.

We're you in on the talks with Danny?

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2015, 11:51:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
A trade is a sale.

So if a potential trade required Danny to give full far more than is fair, and he doesn't proceed with it, that makes him a failure?

Lol at failing to close.

Notice I didn't say that Danny failed.

I simply pointed out that he was unable to close a deal that was favorable.  His job requires him to be a salesman.  A salesman doesn't get to make the excuse "Well, nobody wanted to buy what I was selling."  Your job is to close.

I know it's a nuanced point, but I'm trying to suggest that while we can't entirely blame Danny Ainge for not making trades that other teams didn't want to make, we can blame him at least a little for not being able to convince his trading partners to buy what he was selling.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2015, 11:51:21 AM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
From Webster: close - to enter into or complete an agreement

An agreement requires 2 people.  If Danny can't find a willing partner, you can't expect him to "close" a deal.  He hasn't been perfect; I wish he could have done what Philly did (or something like it) instead of signing Johnson.  But at the end of the day, he made pretty solid draft picks (yes, they don't fill needs, but we aren't in a position to be drafting for need right now) , he signed good players to reasonable contracts that don't hurt us long term.  You can't blame Danny for being unable to convince team to cough up a superstar or top 10 draft pick.

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Go watch Glengarry Glen Ross people.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2015, 11:58:32 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Go watch Glengarry Glen Ross people.
Danny's response to not closing

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2015, 11:59:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2015, 11:59:58 AM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
A trade is a sale.

Lol at failing to close.

I simply pointed out that he was unable to close a deal that was favorable.  His job requires him to be a salesman.  A salesman doesn't get to make the excuse "Well, nobody wanted to buy what I was selling."  Your job is to close.

I know it's a nuanced point, but I'm trying to suggest that while we can't entirely blame Danny Ainge for not making trades that other teams didn't want to make, we can blame him at least a little for not being able to convince his trading partners to buy what he was selling.

Literally no salesmen closes on 100% of their potential deals. Expecting that of Ainge is foolishness.

His job is not simply "to close". Would you have been happy if he closed on a deal that is terrible for the Celtics?

You say your point is nuanced, but it seems to be complaining for the sake of complaining to me.

Now, if you knew exact what was offered and counter offered, that would be a different story, but  I suspect you do not know that.

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2015, 12:05:14 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
From my perspective we shored up our dleague roster and swapped bass with amir Johnson.  If you give that anything other than an "F" grade, you must have had no expectations whatsoever.  I don't think we are better than we were last year. 

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2015, 12:06:40 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
A trade is a sale.

Lol at failing to close.

Literally no salesmen closes on 100% of their potential deals. Expecting that of Ainge is foolishness.

His job is not simply "to close". Would you have been happy if he closed on a deal that is terrible for the Celtics?

You say your point is nuanced, but it seems to be complaining for the sake of complaining to me.

Now, if you knew exact what was offered and counter offered, that would be a different story, but  I suspect you do not know that.

Ainge assured everyone that his offer to Chicago was crazy good.  So, if we go by Ainge's own claim, he failed to close on a deal where he overpaid.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2015, 12:07:40 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
From my perspective we shored up our dleague roster and swapped bass with amir Johnson.  If you give that anything other than an "F" grade, you must have had no expectations whatsoever.  I don't think we are better than we were last year.

I've got it as a borderline D/F, because he at least kicked the can down for another year.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2015, 12:11:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

All I can say is, watch the movie.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2015, 12:12:55 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I didn't give it an F because I think an F would have been screwing up the long term flexibility of the team and locking the team into mediocrity for next 5 years.

I gave it a D - a passing grade - because I thought the summer so far has been underwhelming but has maintained flexibility for future trades / offseasons / drafts.