Author Topic: BOS / DEN trade idea  (Read 30652 times)

Re: BOS / DEN trade idea
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2008, 09:20:41 AM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13
DA will replace the big 3 one at a time not all at once. The first replacement will be a product of an expiring contract and other chips that have been produced from this system (drafted late and trained by celtic coaching).

I think this trade speeds up the process of finding the first replacement provided we give up nothing more then would is offered above.

I think this is exactly right.  The first to go will most likly be Ray Allen after one or two more seasons (after this one).  His expiring contract plus some of the Celtics building blocks (BBD, Powe, or the like) plus some future Celtics picks for a vet that wants to win from a rebuilding team.  For example, if Milwaukee decides to blow it up in a few years and get rid of Redd they get some young players and salary cap relief.  The Celtics get a replacement for Ray Allen.  Honestly, this is exactly what the Lakers did (or tried to do) in the Shaq era.

How is this relevant to this proposed trade?  The Celts probably want to avoid another large contract.  Makes things hard to move and manage especially if the team has injuries and a bad year and the owners get luxury tax phobic.  However, since Camby is only two years this is not entirely out of the question.

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2008, 05:57:09 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
"However, since Camby is only two years this is not entirely out of the question."

That's my point  ;D
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2008, 07:16:06 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
no way. Perk is a guy you need to battle the dwight howards and just be a bruiser for the opposing players to handle. Camby would be too much like kg in terms of size and strength for defense.

Dwight howard would snap camby in two if you think about it

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2008, 07:48:29 PM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I'd rather have Perk than Camby straight up. Mostly for size purposes. C's need a big 5 to pair with KG and Perk fits that bill.

I love Camby for the financial flexibility he offers after a year but that's about it. Too frail, old and it's unclear whether he's an upgrade give his limitations vs. Perk in man-to-man D.

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2008, 08:09:15 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Camby is very overrated as a defender. He puts great stats because he's an excellent weakside shot-blocker, but Perkins is probably a better man-to-man defender than him right now. Perkins offers us the kind of defense we need at the 5, Camby not so much.

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2008, 08:18:07 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
interesting trade idea to discuss.  Not a good trade in my opinion.

I hate the term role player, but you can't give up 2 good to excellent role players (to keep or trade later) for a 34 year old with an injury history.  That about sums it up.

If the Celtics did too many trades like this one, they'd be dead in the water when the big 3 retires.  It's not time yet to give up on maintaining our greatness beyond the big 3. 

Right now I prefer Powe to Big Baby, but Big Baby still has some mystery quality, meaning he could wind up better than any of us think, maybe as good as Ryan Gomes from the outside, for example, while hammering people inside as well.....

I'd love to get Mourning to combine with Perk!

I agree with your post.  Camby doesn't fit with the Celtics team at all.  KG needs a big and tough one on one post defender next to him, not a thin jumpshooter like himself.  We saw what happens when KG doesn't have someone like Perk playing next to him....layups and great post play by the other team.

Perk is a better center than Camby in that he fits more of what the Celtics need from their starting center.

Say no to Camby, he makes or post defense worse.  He is a shotblocker only, not a good man to man post defender.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 06:58:46 PM »

Offline ulan131

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
I 100% do this deal hands down it would be huge for them to get camby and as a umass enthusiast id love it fromm that standpoint i just think this would be a win win trade

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2008, 07:22:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I think this trade would be a trade made to put the finishing touch on the Celtics to help take them over the hump if they don't win the championship. It's short term based and a seriously risky gamble. Perk is a 23 year old, developing center signed to a friendly contract. He has yet to break 25 minutes per game on a yearly basis. If Perk could improve more and start being used 30+ minutes a game, he could become close to a double double guy with the starters he is playing with.

If the Celtics win the championship there is zero chance of this happening. If they don't, it could be a possibility, although Danny is really high on Perk.

I say hold onto Perk and get Baby into shape. I like the idea of building a solid, young base behind the GPA.

I'm just not sold on this being of High risk...

but I do agree we win it all no way this happens.

I'm Just quoting the sentiment when this original post was made.

"I'm just not sold on this being of High risk...

but I do agree we win it all no way this happens."
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2008, 07:24:18 PM »

Offline Barnabas

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 11
Camby is the more talented, more experienced player.  However, Perkins is bigger and stronger.  It our case, Perkins might be the better fit.  There may be occasions when we need someone agile who can block shots, but then again, we already have KG for that.  Perkins gives us a different dimension.  With Camby and KG, you'd have two athletic, slender guys up front.  But it may be better to have one athletic, slender guy and one beefy bruiser playing together.

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2008, 07:43:34 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I think Camby is a great player, but I have had my eyes on somebody else.  Sean Williams is this elite shot blocking presence that the Celtics could use.    With PJ gone and pollard having health issues i think we need another big.  Sean was in and out of the Nets lineup last year accumulating several DNP's.  I think if you can put something together either trading Powe or BBD some cash and a draft pick i would love to Gget williams on our team. 

Those that followed BC probably know his off the court troubles.  I see this is a Randy Moss type situation.  I think that PP and KG are strong enough in the locker room to not let his past problems resurface or let him become a distraction.  And if this kid can pick up on the Celts defensive system while maintaining his shot blocking ability I think he can twice or three times as good as Perk based on his freakish athleticism and growing arsenal of low post moves.  (Also, he played the 4 and 5 for the Nets last year) 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2008, 08:10:06 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I don't know...  I really feel we have the nucleaus right now that can close in on #20. 

If I were Ainge, all moves would revolve around keeping these 8 players

Rajon
Ray
Paul
Kevin
Perk
Eddie
Posey
Powe

We can fill in around them, paticularly at backup C, where we need some length to replace PJ. 

But I wouldn't consider letting Powe go, he is the essense of who we are - Toughness and Work Ethic.  Even if we add better players and he becomes 10th off the bench, you can't substitute having that guy at every practice all year long.  And you know he can respond under the brightest lights at a moments notice, leaving a wake of soft Lakers in his path!

These 8 players have the potential to be the core of the next great Celtic Dynasty.