Poll

If you had to choose someone, who would you pick?

Anthony Davis
21 (61.8%)
Giannis
13 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Who would you choose to build your franchise? AD or Giannis?  (Read 3969 times)

Re: Who would you choose to build your franchise? AD or Giannis?
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 12:03:16 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Give me the wing. Giannis.

In today's NBA, I still think having an alpha dog swingman is more important in building a franchise than starting inside/out.

But I absolutely love AD.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2018, 12:07:08 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I love AD, but I'd have to go with Giannis. He can start with the ball and create for himself and others. AD needs someone to get the ball to him. How long were people excusing New Orleans' struggles on bad guard play? You don't have that with Giannis. Then there's the injury concerns.

I will say, AD is probably better paired with a star point guard though. Like if I already have a Kyrie Irving, I'd probably want to pair him with AD over Giannis. But you can't really go wrong with either one.

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2018, 12:25:18 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
No brainer.  AD > Giannis.

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2018, 01:29:58 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I'm really tired of the "Anthony Davis and his injury concerns" comments. The dude has played in 83% of his teams' games. A LOT of them were of a precautionary measure (whether they were babying his injuries or the team was tanking). You can bet on that even if it's not listed as a stat. Unless he goes down in the next two seasons for extended time we should table those comments until/if he actually gets hurt.

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2018, 01:38:32 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'm really tired of the "Anthony Davis and his injury concerns" comments. The dude has played in 83% of his teams' games. A LOT of them were of a precautionary measure (whether they were babying his injuries or the team was tanking). You can bet on that even if it's not listed as a stat. Unless he goes down in the next two seasons for extended time we should table those comments until/if he actually gets hurt.

To be fair, this is a player comparison. So worth noting that Giannis has been played in 96% of his games. He's played in only 17 fewer career games than AD in one fewer year.

I believe AD has also left early for quite a few games in his career. I think that plays into the perception of his health. Because it always feels like he might be injured, even when he's not.

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2018, 01:59:02 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

To be fair, this is a player comparison. So worth noting that Giannis has been played in 96% of his games. He's played in only 17 fewer career games than AD in one fewer year.

I believe AD has also left early for quite a few games in his career. I think that plays into the perception of his health. Because it always feels like he might be injured, even when he's not.
Giannis is already dealing with chronic knee tendinitis that flares up when he overdoes it.  He's pretty young for that.  As far as I know Davis doesn't have any chronic issues.

Giannis could become better than Davis someday, but right now Davis is pretty much the perfect player.  I'd have to take Davis.

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2018, 02:10:54 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
AD all day. Better defender and better scorer (higher PPG, better percentages across the board). Actually, passing is the only aspect I’d give Giannis. Everything else goes to Davis IMO.

Giannis seems out of control at times. You never see Davis erratic.

To me, this is like comparing Harden or Westbrook to LeBron or Kawhi. The first two can be spectacular but also make plenty of blunders. The latter two are calm and collected and just do what needs to be done.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2018, 02:17:50 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Davis has injured his hand.  He has injured both shoulders (one of them multiple times).  He has injured his knee.  He has had multiple surgeries.  There are clear signs he has great potential to be hurt, as he is always slowed by some form of injury. 

Now your right, if he goes 2 more seasons without getting hurt then you can put those to rest, similar to Curry and his ankle injuries. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip