Author Topic: The Greatest High School Starting 5 Ever  (Read 4273 times)

The Greatest High School Starting 5 Ever
« on: March 14, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
according to a new SI documentary is Westtown High during the 16/17 season.  The team had Mo Bamba and Cam Reddish (both projected high lottery picks in their drafts) as well as Brandon Randolph (Arizona), Anthony Ochefu (Stony Brook), and Jake Forrester (committed to Indiana).

https://www.si.com/high-school/2018/03/07/we-town-documentary-sitv-westtown-mo-bamba-seth-berger

Clearly some recency bias here, but it got me to thinking, what other teams had two high lottery picks and a bunch of other potential pros. 

Obviously Chino Hills with Lonzo, LiAngelo, and LaMelo (who like Lonzo might have been a lottery pick had his dad not pulled him to Europe), along with Eli Scott (Loyola Marymount) and Onyeka Okongwu (undeclared #16 recruit in 2019).

Then you had Lawrence North out of Indianapolis.  Which had #1 pick Greg Oden and #4 pick Michael Conley (not sure who else was on that team). 

Any other great high school teams come to mind?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: The Greatest High School Starting 5 Ever
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 01:09:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Dunbar '81-82 & '82-83.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 01:18:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
according to a new SI documentary is Westtown High during the 16/17 season.  The team had Mo Bamba and Cam Reddish (both projected high lottery picks in their drafts) as well as Brandon Randolph (Arizona), Anthony Ochefu (Stony Brook), and Jake Forrester (committed to Indiana).

https://www.si.com/high-school/2018/03/07/we-town-documentary-sitv-westtown-mo-bamba-seth-berger

Clearly some recency bias here, but it got me to thinking, what other teams had two high lottery picks and a bunch of other potential pros. 

Obviously Chino Hills with Lonzo, LiAngelo, and LaMelo (who like Lonzo might have been a lottery pick had his dad not pulled him to Europe), along with Eli Scott (Loyola Marymount) and Onyeka Okongwu (undeclared #16 recruit in 2019).

Then you had Lawrence North out of Indianapolis.  Which had #1 pick Greg Oden and #4 pick Michael Conley (not sure who else was on that team). 

Any other great high school teams come to mind?
Are these SI documentaries good stuff? I don't think I have heard of them before.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 01:25:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Dunbar '81-82 & '82-83.
This is what came to my mind to. The 82 team had Reggie Lewis, Mugsy Bogues, Reggie Williams and David Wingate. That's a lot of great pros for one high school team. And I think a couple of other guys were great because if I remember right, Reggie Lewis always came off the bench.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 01:27:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Dunbar '81-82 & '82-83.
This is what came to my mind to. The 82 team had Reggie Lewis, Mugsy Bogues, Reggie Williams and David Wingate. That's a lot of great pros for one high school team. And I think a couple of other guys were great because if I remember right, Reggie Lewis always came off the bench.

60-0 between those two seasons.  Yup. Reggie didn't even start. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
They weren’t the absolute best, but Oak Hill with Rondo and Josh Smith was pretty great.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 03:17:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Lebron's team won 3 state titles (they lost in the semis his junior year) and he played with a couple of guys that are still playing professionally in Europe (Romeo Travis and Dru Joyce - they both also played for Cleveland in the Vegas Summer League), as well as the rapper Sian Cotton (who played football at Ohio State), and a couple of other guys that had decent college careers (one of which is now a high school coach and one of which is a scout for the Cavs).  I didn't originally include his teams because they really were successful only because of Lebron, but it is hard to find a player in high school that was more successful, both individually and as a team than Lebron James and St. Vincent St. Mary during his 4 years there.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 04:05:19 PM »

Offline Section301

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • Yum
Lebron's team won 3 state titles (they lost in the semis his junior year) and he played with a couple of guys that are still playing professionally in Europe (Romeo Travis and Dru Joyce - they both also played for Cleveland in the Vegas Summer League), as well as the rapper Sian Cotton (who played football at Ohio State), and a couple of other guys that had decent college careers (one of which is now a high school coach and one of which is a scout for the Cavs).  I didn't originally include his teams because they really were successful only because of Lebron, but it is hard to find a player in high school that was more successful, both individually and as a team than Lebron James and St. Vincent St. Mary during his 4 years there.
Bobby Hurley - I'm pretty sure St Anthony's was the most successful HS program ever
Good food, like good music and good love, always requires a little sweat in the making in order for it to be truly memorable.

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 05:19:13 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
My problem with this question is it is usually only judged in hindsight, where high school greatness is measured by pro career accolades (and to a lesser extent college accolades).  How good you were in high school doesn't totally correlate with how good you will be as a pro and vice versa.

2004 High School class for example had our old buddies Sebastian Telfair, Robert Swift, and Glenn Davis at #6, #8, and #11 in that class.  Ahead of Rondo (#21), Lowry (#29), Horford (#47),  Noah (#72).  So if you put Telfair/Swift/Davis and a couple other scrubs from the top 20 on one team against Rondo and Co., and asked that question when they were all still in high school, everybody would probably vote 100% Telfair's team was the better team hands down, ask that question now, everybody would think Rondo's team was the better one.

Even if the question is re-worded, who has the best collection of future NBA talent or something, still probably comes down to Oak Hill or Dunbar (of course we'll only be able to judge this sometime in the future).

The question is still interesting though, so trying to find a somewhat unbiased evaluater, I went with McDonald's All-Americans (because it's well known and data was easy to find).

Weston did have 2 McDonald's All-Americans with Bamba ('17) and Reddish ('18), but that's not even that unique, Oak Hill had 2 in '18 and 1 in '17, and an Indiana school had 2 in '17 (one of them being Jaren Jackson Jr).

Altogether, since 1977 these are the standouts:

Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, VA) -27
DeMatha Catholic (Hyattsville, MD) -12
Paul Laurence Dunbar (Baltimore, MD) - 7
Saint Anthony's (Jersey City, NJ) - 7
Findlay College Prep (Henderson, NV) - 7
Roman Catholic (Philadelphia, PA) - 6
Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA) - 6
With 125 other schools having between 2 and 5.

Oak Hill had a 7 year stretch ('90-'96) where they had 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1 in consecutive years (including Stackhouse, Stephen Jackson, Ron Mercer).  Now Oak Hill is unique in that most kids don't attend that school for 4 straight years and might only transfer for their Senior year, so who knows how many of the kids from different years actually played together, but without actually looking up those rosters and their records, I'm guessing the list of best high school teams of all time, you'll see Oak Hill like you see Wilt's name in the NBA record books.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 05:43:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Springs Valley High School 1974

:D

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 09:49:44 PM »

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32

So basically it was Lebron and some bums given more hype than they deserve.

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 10:44:38 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Never heard of Dunbar before this thread.  Very weird. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 11:25:44 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
Lawrence North Indianapolis (2006)

The team had Greg Oden and Mike Conley Jr.

Record: 29-0

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Dunbar '81-82 & '82-83.

What makes this the best high school team to me is these were players who actually all grew up in the same neighborhood! They weren't 5 star recruits playing one or two seasons in another state for exposure/coaching/money/etc.