Author Topic: Romeo Langford(merged threads)  (Read 92067 times)

Re: Romeo and his vertical
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2019, 12:23:28 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Funny, I can always tell when Rollie starts a new topic even before I open it!

I play a game called. Guess which posts are Rollie by the title.

Been playing it for years now
ok fine

« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2019, 12:30:30 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

lol so do I and I'm about 90%.

« Reply #122 on: July 15, 2019, 12:31:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

It has been getting tougher recently since he now consistently capitalizes the first word in the title  ;)

Anyway, Romeo certainly looks the part, but in most of the highlights I've seen of him, he almost always chooses a lay-up over a dunk. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as he has good touch around the rim and finds creative ways of getting his shot off; however, I think people will be disappointed if they think we are getting a Jaylen-type who regularly slams it in with authority.

« Reply #123 on: July 15, 2019, 12:42:53 PM »

Offline Psoas The Great

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
I have only seen one 5 minute video of Romeo IU highlights and haven't watched any long stretches of game footage of him.  But what I saw reminded me a lot of Jaylen Brown's season at Cal except not quite as much raw athleticism but more comfortable ball handling and decision maker.

I agree with this. He’s not quite the same as Jaylen or Jayson; has his own game. If I’d compare him to someone else I might choose a young Paul Pierce. Not as good a shooter (maybe - we need to see him healthy to know) and a little bouncier.

This is my exact comparison, he looks like a young Paul Pierce to me. He looks under control at all times, has a great touch around the rim, is deceptively quick and athletic, and slashes great from outside/mid post. His outside shot isn't as polished and he isn't as broad/strong framewise as Paul,  but I see the similarities.

« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2019, 12:48:35 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Hopefully, he turns out much better and doesn't get the yips, but to me, he moves and plays a style similar to what Fultz played at Washington. I only saw him play once this past season, so I'm only going on highlight clips. I saw our other 3 picks play numerous times, but I don't have that same feel for Langford.

On the positive side, I was listening to an interview of some local guy the other day, and he said the Celtics were confident that if Romeo listens to them re: his shot, he'll be a 20 ppg scorer, maybe a Derozan type.

« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2019, 02:13:50 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

It has been getting tougher recently since he now consistently capitalizes the first word in the title  ;)

Anyway, Romeo certainly looks the part, but in most of the highlights I've seen of him, he almost always chooses a lay-up over a dunk. This isn't necessarily a bad thing as he has good touch around the rim and finds creative ways of getting his shot off; however, I think people will be disappointed if they think we are getting a Jaylen-type who regularly slams it in with authority.
He finished at a very high rate though, right?  I don't care whether someone dunks as long as they finish.

« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2019, 02:22:17 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
MOISO-a super elite finisher,draws contact and finishes through it.

As to title. i was hoping someone would be able to double check what i saw on tape analyzing just Romeo.
The kid might not be slamming them down because of his thumb issue on his power hand.It would effect his shooting as well as foul shots at the end of season i think he said he had adjusted and his percentage was higher.
Romeo is a year out of high school played in a tough conference hurt and finished in traffic at super elite level.
Now we got him,length wingspan,his deceptive first step that covers so much ground,his smooth fluidity in transition and even now he is 215.
 Not what Philly did to Turner or Phoenix does to its draft choices.He has young rookies around him,he has young vets and a level headed Hayward.He can be taught to shoot ,he can emulate the hard work the other guys put in and he can start to get man strong and Marcus will show him how to play defense.
He is no James Young ..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 02:38:11 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2019, 02:37:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

He finished at a very high rate though, right?  I don't care whether someone dunks as long as they finish.

Doesn't matter how the ball goes in the hoop, just as long as it does, right? I was just pointing out that he probably isn't quite the elite athlete Jaylen is, but he certainly has a killer 1st step and his touch is great. Let's just hope that he can continue to work on his shot and produce at the next level.

Also, rollie may be right about the hand issue affecting his dunking. Wouldn't it be something if he came out this season throwing down 360 windmills? Even though from what I've seen (which isn't much) it isn't necessarily a big part of his game, I have no doubt he has great athleticism and we will see him dunking plenty enough.

Re: Romeo Langford(merged threads)
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2019, 02:45:26 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
His head was at the rim .This was  in high school or AAU and he was doing monster dunks over players in tournaments probably AAU  The tape i saw had him pitted against Zion -Romeo 28pts
Zion 26 pts and Romeos team won-
that is why i think his hand bothered dunking just the thought of hanging on the rim- hanging on the rim.
I saw him almost eye level to rim with that huge reach it was like TIMELORD..
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 04:26:59 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2019, 03:01:19 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
So I live in Columbus, OH and I was in Indy for the weekend.  Talked to a lot of IU fans and they do not like Romeo.  They all expected him to be the savior of IU basketball because of how highly ranked he was coming out of High School.  They all know he spent half the year playing with the torn ligament in his hand but the biggest thing they complained about was he did not have that killer instinct and that he could not put the team on his back and carry it.  I have only seen highlights of him play and there are some good things but this reminds me of a Jeff Green situation.  So much talent but no aggression or killer instinct.  Don't shoot the messenger.  I don't know enough about Romeo to know if this is legit.  I just talked to numerous IU fans and they all said the same thing.  They watched him play all year.  Pre and Post Injury.  I had my Celtics gear on and a lot of them came out and said good luck with Romeo. 

« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2019, 03:41:56 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Going to channel my Tommy Heinsohn:

Mark my words, this kid is going to be the next Bob Cousy
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:48:44 PM by gpap »

« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2019, 03:56:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So I live in Columbus, OH and I was in Indy for the weekend.  Talked to a lot of IU fans and they do not like Romeo.  They all expected him to be the savior of IU basketball because of how highly ranked he was coming out of High School.  They all know he spent half the year playing with the torn ligament in his hand but the biggest thing they complained about was he did not have that killer instinct and that he could not put the team on his back and carry it.  I have only seen highlights of him play and there are some good things but this reminds me of a Jeff Green situation.  So much talent but no aggression or killer instinct.  Don't shoot the messenger.  I don't know enough about Romeo to know if this is legit.  I just talked to numerous IU fans and they all said the same thing.  They watched him play all year.  Pre and Post Injury.  I had my Celtics gear on and a lot of them came out and said good luck with Romeo.
I have a bit of a hard time believing the aggression concerns. Langford got to the free throw line 6 times a game.

I think Indiana fans expecting a 19 year old with an injured hand to save their garbage basketball team was probably the bigger issue.

Situation does remind me of Fultz a little bit. Both went to bad teams and didn't have a ton of success in terms of w/l. They also seem to have similar personalities.

I'm very excited for Langford but there's a reason he was available at 14. Lots of concerns.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #132 on: July 15, 2019, 03:58:49 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I swear. Every young promising wing player on the Celtics is compared to Jeff Green. It's like he left an indelible mark on the Celtic fan's psyche.

« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2019, 03:59:20 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

That’s a sad report.  But I would believe fans that watch him all year.  If they don’t like him I find it hard for a C’s fan to like him either.  Time will tell. 

« Reply #134 on: July 15, 2019, 04:28:32 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

I swear. Every young promising wing player on the Celtics is compared to Jeff Green. It's like he left an indelible mark on the Celtic fan's psyche.
Every wing we draft is either a James Young or a Jeff Green to them. It's as if they have nightmares of those two players.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum