Author Topic: Romeo Langford(merged threads)  (Read 92067 times)

Re: Romeo Langford(merged threads)
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2019, 02:47:07 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Dwayne wade....

So you think Langford is the next DWade?  well that was a very brief supporting argument, but ok.

Lol...

And Yabusele was going to be the next Draymond Green.

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2019, 02:51:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
I am not as nuts about Langford as some here.  He was a good pick at where the C's got him.  It's anyone's guess how he will turn out.  He does seem to have a good ability to finish at the rim.  I guess he would be our back up plan if Jaylen leaves or gets traded.  I am keeping my expectations low.  Hopefully he can be a rotation player at some point.

I know I am going to take heat for this, but he feels similar to James Young.  Drafted late lotto, 6'6", has the ability to get to the rim, probably over-hyped a bit due to his potential.  I certainly don't see the same fire, and aggressiveness and the ability to take over a game that Edwards showed in college.  But what do I know?

I am def rooting for him.
The James Young obsession some people have on this board is a bit ridiculous. No, not every late lotto 6'6" player his going to be James Young. We might be watching two different James Youngs, because he's always been awful at getting to the rim because of his bad handles.

And right on cue....lol
I am not saying every late lotto wing is James Young.  I am saying that Langford might be.
You just used the fact that's he's 6'6" and was picked in the late lotto to compare him to James Young... lol. While you may think correcting someone on an objectively wrong statement (like saying Young was a good finisher) as "taking heat", I like to think of it as constructive to the course of discussion.

I would say that he was also similar in the fact that he has slasher potential, had proto type wing measurables, a freshman out of college, wasn't a great defender (but had the physical tools to be a great defender), neither were always completely engaged in the game, and at times lacked intensity.  There are more similarities than just his height and draft position.

Look I am obviously not saying they are identical players, but they have some of the same attributes, and some similar pitfalls.

I hope Langford works out.  He certainly isn't a sure thing to become a rotation level player though.  It would be great if he turned into Jaylen Brown 2.0.  That would give us a lot of flexibility moving forward as a team.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:57:53 PM by blink »

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2019, 03:18:43 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
I am not as nuts about Langford as some here.  He was a good pick at where the C's got him.  It's anyone's guess how he will turn out.  He does seem to have a good ability to finish at the rim.  I guess he would be our back up plan if Jaylen leaves or gets traded.  I am keeping my expectations low.  Hopefully he can be a rotation player at some point.

I know I am going to take heat for this, but he feels similar to James Young.  Drafted late lotto, 6'6", has the ability to get to the rim, probably over-hyped a bit due to his potential.  I certainly don't see the same fire, and aggressiveness and the ability to take over a game that Edwards showed in college.  But what do I know?

The James Young obsession some people have on this board is a bit ridiculous. No, not every late lotto 6'6" player his going to be James Young. We might be watching two different James Youngs, because he's always been awful at getting to the rim because of his bad handles.

And right on cue....lol
I am not saying every late lotto wing is James Young.  I am saying that Langford might be.

Young could not defend a wiff or create and get to rim-I suggest you people read  the pros on Romeo
 He also has the advantage of his peer group,the Celtics coaching staff and hard working young vets.

This kid played all season with a torn ligament not being surrounded by the best talent.Never complained  or mentioned it till season finished.
.Finished thru traffic and took hits while finishing at super elite level and  plays in control with patience yet attacks the lane.Has a 43 inch vertical.He is far from perfect  shot selection,court awareness sometimes loses focus.Hey the kid was 19.
 i am more concerned with Grant Williams height and wingspan
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 03:43:06 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2019, 03:39:11 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

And right on cue....lol

Young could not defend a wiff or create and get to rim-I suggest you people read  the pros on Romeo
 He also has the advantage of his peer group,the Celtics coaching staff and hard working young vets.

This kid played all season with a torn ligament not being surrounded by the best talent.Never complained  or mentioned it till season finished.
.Finished thru traffic and took hits while finishing at super elite level and  plays in control with patience yet attacks the lane.

Did you guys know that Grant Williams is shrinking?

It's true. He's the Benjamin Button of the NBA.

He was 6'8 coming into college. He's currently 6'4" and shrinking fast.

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2019, 05:14:26 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

And right on cue....lol

.Finished thru traffic and took hits while finishing at super elite level and  plays in control with patience yet attacks the lane.Has a 43 inch vertical.He is far from perfect  shot selection,court awareness sometimes loses focus.Hey the kid was 19.

This is seldom mentioned but James Young had a car accident right before the draft and never really looked aggressive again.  I realize it was a fairly minor accident but it kept him from working  out before the draft and just a little hinderance to a players athleticism can ruin an NBA career. Jeff Green had to have open heart surgery and was just always tentative after that, except a couple of time in the playoffs against the Celtics.

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2019, 05:15:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

And right on cue....lol

.Finished thru traffic and took hits while finishing at super elite level and  plays in control with patience yet attacks the lane.

Did you guys know that Grant Williams is shrinking?

It's true. He's the Benjamin Button of the NBA.

He was 6'8 coming into college. He's currently 6'4" and shrinking fast.

Yeah, I heard he was under 6 feet now but still strong! ;D

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2019, 06:12:48 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Romeo has the handling the scoring.... is strong but is not great from the 3 point line.. like young wade... if you see their stats after their first year in college they are similar... I am not saying that he is the same wade... but his body his play and his stats are similar to college wade... especially the play

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2019, 09:32:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Romeo has the handling the scoring.... is strong but is not great from the 3 point line.. like young wade... if you see their stats after their first year in college they are similar... I am not saying that he is the same wade... but his body his play and his stats are similar to college wade... especially the play
true

If romeo can bring some scoring for the bench and be a servicable defender, it would work wonders for our depth

Romeo and his vertical
« Reply #113 on: July 15, 2019, 10:55:05 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
This kid doesn't talk much on court or get demonstrative but he says ask his teammates ,ask his opponents,ask how hard he works and what kind of motor he has
.I also saw a breakdown claiming he had 43 inch vertical and there were tapes of him dunking in game with his eyes almost at rim and several other poster dunks.Before i posted this i tried to find his vertical else where with no luck .He didn't test at combine because of wrist.
This is no James Young.
Danny was right drafting him here  he has height ,length and physique to add muscle,he a deceptive athlete that can finish at rim at an elite level.
Imagine torn ligament in you thumb on your strong and shooting hand .Never complained or made excuses nobody knew till the season ended.
I have a sprained wrist the irritating kind and did that throw my shooting off.
There are those that say because he caught such a high school buzz if he had shut down early in season he could have gone top 5.
The kid now has Hayward a level vet  that may have a similar motor.

Re: Romeo and his vertical
« Reply #114 on: July 15, 2019, 11:32:45 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I have only seen one 5 minute video of Romeo IU highlights and haven't watched any long stretches of game footage of him.  But what I saw reminded me a lot of Jaylen Brown's season at Cal except not quite as much raw athleticism but more comfortable ball handling and decision maker.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2019, 11:42:15 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I hope you are right, Alexander-Walker is looked really good in summer league, I hope we don't regret passing on him.

If they can remake Romeo's shot he is in great shape, coming into the year he was the 6th ranked prospect. Hopefully he lives up to his original ranking.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2019, 11:46:02 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I have only seen one 5 minute video of Romeo IU highlights and haven't watched any long stretches of game footage of him.  But what I saw reminded me a lot of Jaylen Brown's season at Cal except not quite as much raw athleticism but more comfortable ball handling and decision maker.

I agree with this. He’s not quite the same as Jaylen or Jayson; has his own game. If I’d compare him to someone else I might choose a young Paul Pierce. Not as good a shooter (maybe - we need to see him healthy to know) and a little bouncier.

« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2019, 11:51:11 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I see Evan Turner type game. A scorer, a slasher, with some passing ability and mid range game. Same defense.

« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I see Evan Turner type game. A scorer, a slasher, with some passing ability and mid range game. Same defense.

Good comparison. I’d say more creative though.

« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Funny, I can always tell when Rollie starts a new topic even before I open it!