Author Topic: The CB Bar and Lounge  (Read 97766 times)

Re: The CB Bar and Lounge
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2011, 11:30:32 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Anyways, I enjoyed a couple glasses of Guinness while watching the Bruins continue to alienate their fan base last night...and once again asked myself why I don't drink Guinness more often.  It is just unmatched.

...  see, I was drinking Guinness with my wife last night and was thinking "this is pretty medicore."  Tasted watery to me.  So many better stouts out there - Gritty McDuff's Black Fly Stout (out of Maine, IIRC) is one of the better ones I've had lately.

« Reply #121 on: March 18, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Anyways, I enjoyed a couple glasses of Guinness while watching the Bruins continue to alienate their fan base last night...and once again asked myself why I don't drink Guinness more often.  It is just unmatched.

...  see, I was drinking Guinness with my wife last night and was thinking "this is pretty medicore."  Tasted watery to me.  So many better stouts out there - Gritty McDuff's Black Fly Stout (out of Maine, IIRC) is one of the better ones I've had lately.

I love Guiness but that Gritty's stout is INCREDIBLE. I'm pretty hungover right now and it still sounds delicious

« Reply #122 on: March 18, 2011, 01:03:17 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Does anyone else hate Amateur night in Boston?

Bill Walton got to you too?  ;D

« Reply #123 on: March 18, 2011, 01:32:34 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
well it's friday, and every friday here at the office we all crack open a beer.

« Reply #124 on: March 18, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
well it's friday, and every friday here at the office we all crack open a beer.

homeland security? TSA?  UAW?
just kidding.

For me there are different types of stouts for different occaisions.  Sometimes a Guinness is perfect, other times I prefer something like a Russian Imperial Stout (made by whomever)...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #125 on: March 18, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I love Guiness but that Gritty's stout is INCREDIBLE. I'm pretty hungover right now and it still sounds delicious

Not a big fan of Gritty's stout. THey serve it with nitrogen in the bar and pretend that makes it good.

I really like Shipyard's Irish Stout though.

But, realistically...Guinness is the Honda Accord of beers. Its really in its heart a working class beer, but since its an import its a little more expensive than it needs to be..but you look past that, because nobody quite does what Guinness does as well as Guinness does it.

Sure, some stouts have 'cooler' flavors, some are stronger, some have gimmicks like added espresso (big fan of Lagunitas's Cappucin0 Stout..try it if you can find it!)..but no beer quite does 'middle class stout' like Guinness.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2011, 02:43:25 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Not a big fan of Gritty's stout. THey serve it with nitrogen in the bar and pretend that makes it good.

But, realistically...Guinness is the Honda Accord of beers. Its really in its heart a working class beer, but since its an import its a little more expensive than it needs to be..but you look past that, because nobody quite does what Guinness does as well as Guinness does it.

Sure, some stouts have 'cooler' flavors, some are stronger, some have gimmicks like added espresso (big fan of Lagunitas's Cappucin0 Stout..try it if you can find it!)..but no beer quite does 'middle class stout' like Guinness.

I think thats well put.  The reason I like Guinness is that for a stout, its very easy to drink.  It doesn't have the bitterness that I find with a lot of the imperial stouts (at least out of the bottle or can...most of them seem to be much better and mellower on draft). 

While the price is a bit higher than it should be, I really think of Guinness as something I could drink everyday.  I can just sit back and enjoy it, without dealing with the complexities you get in some of the other ones. 

« Reply #127 on: March 18, 2011, 02:46:16 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Well said, IP and Chris. I've also been drinking Guinness lately (a slave to advertising), and wonder why I don't drink more of it.

I also enjoy Murphy's, especially when I can find it on tap, much for the same reasons.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:55:56 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #128 on: March 18, 2011, 02:55:58 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Well said, IP and Chris. I've also been drinking Guinness lately (a slave to advertising), and wonder why I don't drink more of it.

I also enjoy Murphy's, especially when I can find it on tap.

I bet I've tried right around 100 to 150 different kinds of beers in the last 4 years, and I have looked for but never found Murphy's on tap.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #129 on: March 18, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I also enjoy Murphy's, especially when I can find it on tap.

I bet I've tried right around 100 to 150 different kinds of beers in the last 4 years, and I have looked for but never found Murphy's on tap.

Not sure where I had it back in the day when I was living in Boston/Cambridge. Although fairly certain the Burren was one place where they had it on tap.

« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Anyways, I enjoyed a couple glasses of Guinness while watching the Bruins continue to alienate their fan base last night...and once again asked myself why I don't drink Guinness more often.  It is just unmatched.

...  see, I was drinking Guinness with my wife last night and was thinking "this is pretty medicore."  Tasted watery to me.  So many better stouts out there - Gritty McDuff's Black Fly Stout (out of Maine, IIRC) is one of the better ones I've had lately.

You need to make your way to County Cork to order a Murphy's.  It's imported here, but it's pretty rare to find.  It surpasses Guinness, in my opinion.

EDIT:  Just saw Lucky's post.  I'm telling you, Murphy's is the best.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

You need to make your way to County Cork to order a Murphy's.  It's imported here, but it's pretty rare to find.  It surpasses Guinness, in my opinion.

Google search turned this thread up from 2008.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/520408

It was the Burren, and the Thirsty Scholar (couldn't remember the name) where I'd had it.

Roy's right, it is delicious.

« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2011, 05:52:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Google search turned this thread up from 2008.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/520408

It was the Burren, and the Thirsty Scholar (couldn't remember the name) where I'd had it.

Roy's right, it is delicious.

I wonder if the Boston Thirsty Scholar is any relation to the one in Cork.  It wouldn't shock me, even if it was only the inspiration for the name.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2011, 01:37:12 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Seeing as how it is opening day... Does anybody know when sam summer comes out?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Seeing as how it is opening day... Does anybody know when sam summer comes out?

No idea, but it brings up an interesting question...what widely available (at least in Boston) summer (light, fruity) beer is best?

Sams Summer

Blue Moon

Leinenkugels Sunset Wheat (my personal favorite)

Other (I know I am forgetting some good ones)?