Author Topic: Any Boston-area cord cutters out there?  (Read 3856 times)

Any Boston-area cord cutters out there?
« on: July 23, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Anyone here find a good cord-cutting option that still lets you watch all Celtics games (nationally televised and otherwise)? I barely use my Comcast cable beyond mindless background viewing. I have Netflix, use my Amazon Prime for streaming... don't need cable. But I DO need celtics games!!!

I did give Hulu w/Live TV a go at a prior apartment. Then I moved, and at the time it was cheaper to bundle my cable and internet with Comcast. Now it's not. Hulu is an option, but I recall the interface being annoying, and you can't fast-forward through commercials when you record games (what?). Also in my area I only get Comcast.

Any other experiences / suggestions appreciated! Also will accept general Comcast complains in solidarity.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Re: Any Boston-area cord cutters out there?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 01:07:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
it's not cutting the cord necessarily but Directv is an option in the area.  they carry NBCSN for the C's game if you get the sportspack. 

I can't really recommend them because they've been in a feud with CBS and Nexstar TV stations since July 4th so I've been without CBS programming and the local Nexstar station (which happens to be the CBS affiliate) for almost 3 weeks with no end in sight.

if anyone else has been able to truly cut the cord and get C's games, I'd be interested in hearing about that too.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 01:20:59 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I haven't cut the cable yet but a colleague has and streams his Celtics games on youtube TV.

I think he pays $50 a month for it, but that is variable based on what you want to subscribe to.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 02:44:10 PM by jbpats »

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 01:25:38 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
my son gets the game stream on Reddit and plugs the laptop to the TV. quality was fair.   

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 02:10:22 PM »

Offline CKilo

• NCE
  • Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
my son gets the game stream on Reddit and plugs the laptop to the TV. quality was fair.   

This actually works pretty good for the price

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 02:23:04 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Unfortunately NBA Streams Reddit has been shut down. There may be a few other Reddit pages that try to have them early in the year, but they will likely be shut down as well.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 03:31:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Unfortunately NBA Streams Reddit has been shut down. There may be a few other Reddit pages that try to have them early in the year, but they will likely be shut down as well.

To be fair, reddit only aggregated the websites that streamed the games into one easy to use platform. If people can remember the sites they liked best or if they do a quick search, they will be able to find what they need.

As for the OP, your best bet is to find a friend/family member who will share their cable sign-in info with you so you can use the nbc sports app - that way you will actually get ALL of the games. You will get blacked out if you try to sign up for NBALP and even if you didn't, you would not get any of the nationally televised games.

This is why LP is a total and complete joke. Like, if I am going to sign up for Team Pass, then I at least want ALL of the games that my team is playing in. Not everybody should be expected to get cable and LP.

I also recently canceled my Hulu with Live tv because of the commercials with DVR. I mean, seriously, I didn't record/save a game or show using precious DVR space so that I could watch the commercials anyway. What a terrible function!

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 04:19:51 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I don't want to get myself in trouble, but I am willing to bet that if you made a similar post on the r/bostonceltics subreddit, the members over there could provide a long list of sites that were typically aggregated onto r/NBAStreams

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Hulu plus allows you to watch live tv (including the Celtics) plus access to Hulu’s shows and movies for about $45.  It also offers a DVR and upgrades to HBO, etc.

I use it and love it and they will give you a free month
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 05:22:03 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
The commercials on DVR are annoying but you get much more content than what is on YouTube TV
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

its still easy to find them.

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 05:58:05 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

its still easy to find them.

Perhaps PM me with the details?

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 08:50:49 PM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
Isn’t there an option in NBA League Pass that allows you to subscribe to Celtics games only for a cheaper price?