Author Topic: Boston Trip in May - Advice Please?  (Read 8181 times)

Boston Trip in May - Advice Please?
« on: February 08, 2011, 12:59:43 AM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
Hey Fellow Bloggers!

I will FINALLY be coming to Boston to watch my beloved Celtics play later on this year!

I have been a couple of time to the US before, but, never to the East coast, which, I am specifically doing this time to watch the Celtics.

Needless to say, I am absolutely ecstatic, and cannot hardly wait, as this is something I have wanted to do since I started following bball/Celtics in the early 90's.

So, I need some advice.  We will be landing in Boston on the 3rd of May, and leaving on the 8th (to Miami)...

Around that time is when the second round playoffs will be on, so, I need advice for the following:

1) I need to get tickets, is my best bet just logging into stubhub.com and finding tickets that way?  Is there any other effective ways to find tickets?
2) Where is the best place to stay in the area of Boston?  I'm going with another mate, so, I guess we will want to go where the nightlife is good...maybe plenty of sportsbars/clubs?

I am hoping that Celtics will be playing either Orlando or Miami in the second round, so then I could watch a game when I fly down to Florida after Boston too!

Everyone's help is greatly appreciated! 

GO CELTICS!

Dave.

Re: Boston Trip in May - Advice Please?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
You will find better prices on ebay than you will on stubhub.  Use stubhub as a last resort.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 12:08:46 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Check the Celtics website regularly for ticket onsale dates.  Since they havent gone on sale yet, a limited amount would be open to the public.  It's tough to pull off but you might be able to get a pair the minute they go on sale.  Of course, being in a foreign country, there may be a couple other logistical issues but that's your best bet.

Unless money is no object while you're out here  ;D then check stubhub, ebay, etc.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:24:39 PM »

Offline newdusk

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30
GET THERE EARLY!!!

Just show up to the box office early, tickets are released game day and you will pay face value. Your best bet is to try and get in touch with the Celtics Box office to see what time is a good time to line up. If you get there around 4pm and your lucky enough to get a good ticket by 5 then head down to Pizzeria Regina and be sure to have cash on hand. (You won't regret it)

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 04:14:03 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
There are a ton of hotels in Boston, and there are three right in the neighborhood of the Garden.

Holiday Inn - 280 Friend (right across the street)
Onyx Hotel - 155 Portland
Bulfinch Hotel - 107 Merrimac

There are also many bars and restaurants in this same area, all within walking distance of the Garden, some even right across the street. Fanuel Hall is a popular area for nightlife and that's a few blocks away. No need to take a cab or train - just walk! Shopping, food, bars, it's all there.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
Join Club Green or sign up for Ace Tickets email updates and you will get advanced opportunities to buy tix. Playoff tickets go pretty fast and get harder to come by with each round. I went to one game every round last year except the finals, more because I was trying to find the most affordable tickets. They were sold out before I even had a chance.

As far as hotels, if you want to be in the fray and maybe pay a bit more, stick close to the Garden. Otherwise, there's some really nice smaller places in walking distance. For instance, check out the Beacon Hill Hotel on Charles St. It runs 200-250 a night with a really great bistro--I go there a lot for brunch and dinner once in a while. There's a T station at the end of the street that I think will take you to North Station (definitely check the MBTA site, cause I walk/drive/cab everywhere), but it's a 15 minute walk to the Garden from the hotel. Its almost a straight walk, you make 1 left turn and that's it. I live a couple blocks away from that hotel and walk to the garden in 20 minutes. There's plenty of night life around the Garden, but it is a freakin zoo! If you want to get drinks but don't want to plow through 3 floors of drunkin retahds, let me know and I'll give you directions to some cool places in Back Bay/Beacon Hill close to the hotel. Any other info you need, let me know, I'll be glad to help!

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens
Thanks so much for the input guys!  Great advice!

Well, I don't mind paying decent $$ for tickets, I mean, I'm coming from half way across the world, so, why not splurge for some semi-decent seats?

Before Boston, I'm going to Barcelona, Amsterdam & London...after Boston, I'm heading to Miami, Vegas/LA...and I am the most excited about going to Boston...!! I can't wait to see my boys in green!

Thanks again guys, it is very much appreciated!  ;D

(TP's for everyone here)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:50:02 PM by Big_Dave31 »

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Two other hotels you might consider are the Marriot at Long Wharf and the Boston Harbor Hotel. Both are a little pricey, but you're right on the water and 10-15 minutes to the Garden and 5-10 minutes to Quincy Market and the Faneuil Hall Marketplace with loads of bars, eateries and shopping. Also, Boston's North End (endless Italian cuisine) is a 10-15 minute walk.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:27:18 PM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
If we lose in the 1st round, I'm blaming you for jinxing us!  :-X Totally kidding. aha

But I recommend checking out Newbury St, Faneuil Hall, Prudential Center. Really nice around there. Good shopping areas, restaurants. No need for car rentals either. MBTA FOR THE WIN!
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Two other hotels you might consider are the Marriot at Long Wharf and the Boston Harbor Hotel. Both are a little pricey, but you're right on the water and 10-15 minutes to the Garden and 5-10 minutes to Quincy Market and the Faneuil Hall Marketplace with loads of bars, eateries and shopping. Also, Boston's North End (endless Italian cuisine) is a 10-15 minute walk.

agreed on Marriott Long Wharf.  Great location.
Yup

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:36:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For tickets, Ebay is a little cheaper than StubHub, but also not as reliable; you're more likely to get ripped off and left without tickets on ebay.  Another option is to look through this forum, and check out the folks selling tickets; some people have off-loaded playoff tickets at face value before, so it's a possibility again this year.

In terms of Boston, I prefer the Back Bay area.  The Marriot at Copley is nice, and I've always had luck with the Colonade. 

Also, when you're in Boston, check out a Duck Tour if you want to get a quick overview of the city with some historical facts thrown in.  It's a really fun time.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »

Offline birdwatcher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 126
  • Another undersized Celtic...
For tickets, Ebay is a little cheaper than StubHub, but also not as reliable; you're more likely to get ripped off and left without tickets on ebay.  Another option is to look through this forum, and check out the folks selling tickets; some people have off-loaded playoff tickets at face value before, so it's a possibility again this year.

In terms of Boston, I prefer the Back Bay area.  The Marriot at Copley is nice, and I've always had luck with the Colonade. 

Also, when you're in Boston, check out a Duck Tour if you want to get a quick overview of the city with some historical facts thrown in.  It's a really fun time.

Duck tours are kinda cool. If you are in Back Bay, do NOT go to Cheers! LOL
I live a block & a half away from it and loads of older peeps congregate outside ALL WEEKEND. seriously. they love it. My wife and a couple friends stopped in there once on the way to another bar in a downpour. We went in to get dry and have a laugh and ended up doing Karaoke with a bunch of old fogeys. Fun and memorable, but expensive and pretty lame, even for a tourist trap!

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 08:07:39 PM »

Offline Big_Dave31

• Brad Stevens

Duck tours are kinda cool. If you are in Back Bay, do NOT go to Cheers! LOL
I live a block & a half away from it and loads of older peeps congregate outside ALL WEEKEND. seriously. they love it. My wife and a couple friends stopped in there once on the way to another bar in a downpour. We went in to get dry and have a laugh and ended up doing Karaoke with a bunch of old fogeys. Fun and memorable, but expensive and pretty lame, even for a tourist trap!

Hehe, thanks for the heads up...ok, well, it's time to get my butt into gear and start looking into the accommodation, and pricing!

Thanks again!

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »

Offline CelticS 86

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 9

agreed on Marriott Long Wharf.  Great location.

yea the Marriot is a great option, its location is ideal for getting around boston.

some bars/clubs you might consider visiting are:

Bars in Faneuil hall; there are plenty to choose from in this area.

The bond lounge: high class, attractive people, but a little
pricey

Saint (near the prudential center): this club isreally fun, its very diverse and top 40s/hip hip music. drinnks are relatively cheap ($6 beer $8 mixed drinks 10+ martinis)

the gypsy bar: this place has a young crowd (21-30 mostly) but its tons of fun.

the liquor store : good music, decent price, good area.

the OM Lounge: located in harvard sq, so crowd is mix of smartypants, locals and tourist.

those are the ones i can think of for right now.....oh and don't forget to visit the top of the hub restaurant, you won't regret it.

hope this helps

-MR
“Basketball is like war in that offensive weapons are developed first, and it always takes a while for the defense to catch up.”

-Red Auerbach