Author Topic: Compared to Kyrie  (Read 4150 times)

Re: Compared to Kyrie
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 08:14:09 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Danny Ainge really needs to bring in some sort of offensive coordinator to help Stevens out.

Danny Ainge keep drafting guys with suspect shots ala Langford and Smart who otherwise are nice players.   A team can only have so many of those guys and win.   I hope Langford's woes were his thumb though.     I think we need a shooting coach more than anything for some of the lads.  Guys who could use the help Langford, Smart and Williams.

We live by three and we die by it.

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Danny Ainge really needs to bring in some sort of offensive coordinator to help Stevens out.

Danny Ainge keep drafting guys with suspect shots ala Langford and Smart who otherwise are nice players.   A team can only have so many of those guys and win.   I hope Langford's woes were his thumb though.     I think we need a shooting coach more than anything for some of the lads.  Guys who could use the help Langford, Smart and Williams.

It is ridiculous to discuss coaching staff changes without also discussing Stevens' coaches themselves, their roles and what they have/have not done.

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 09:29:05 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Mostly die by it

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 05:28:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is ridiculous to discuss coaching staff changes without also discussing Stevens' coaches themselves, their roles and what they have/have not done.

So you say, but how do you like massive shooting improvements we have seen during his tenure.   I am a Stevens guy to the core, and some of our guys progress is about as fast as pond water.   Do you like that?

Well, put your money where your mouth is, and tell us the assistant roles?   I'll wait.

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2019, 05:42:05 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Carson Edwards to the rescue.Big games don't scare this kid  ,He is Danny's newest weapon a 6 foot guard that  has a 6-6 wingspan
.Tough as nails . Finally a shooter that can shoot.

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2019, 08:54:53 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I think there is a complete unfair comparison with looking at Kyrie last season and Kemba this upcoming season, in relation to team and teammate success. I thought Kyrie was fantastic for most of last season, but grew too tired of the selfish play and lack of team cohesiveness on the court towards the end of the season. I still believe the playoff run without Kyrie and Hayward the year before, did more harm than good. Brown thought they were a shoe in to compete for titles for the next 5 or so years, and even had the nerve to ask Danny if this past season’s team was as good as the ‘86 Celtics. Brown, Tatum, and Rozier thought they were superstars and wanted to be treated as such, even though they weren’t close to that level. I’m hoping the failure of last season humbled Brown and Tatum enough, and they realize nothing is given to you.

Obviously we can agree that playoff run was the most successful point of the Hayward/Kyrie era.  The fact that neither of them were on the court for it pretty much tells you everything you need to know. 

I think it really falls on Ainge as he had some tough decisions to make after that ECF run and instead let the team implode on itself - resulting in two of his max-veterans ghosting the team in free-agency.  I don't know what kept him from trading any of Kyrie/Smart/Rozier/Morris/Brown/Hayward when it was obvious (and he's said this in interviews) to his coaching staff by the end of the first practice things weren't going to work out.  Perhaps Ainge himself fell in love with the myth of the Celtics asset-warchest. 

The fact of the matter is the Celtics tossed out some toxic assets (Kyrie), lost a great veteran (Al) and an undervalued big (Baynes) and replaced them with Kemba Walker and a bunch of JAG bigs which is still probably a net breakeven. 

Once they shed the Hayward contract in 2021 they'll be able to sign on another marquee 4/5 and will be ready to compete in the playoffs again.     

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2019, 11:55:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Mostly die by it

LOL ..TP ... :).