Author Topic: What's your first memory of being a C's fan ?  (Read 7074 times)

Re: What's your first memory of being a C's fan ?
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 08:00:03 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
my first post since getting disgusted with too many "fans" posting negatives on here

tp to all the older fans!
buffalo braves and no one mentions ernie D

my first memory is the season of '76 as both my parents loved the celtics, my first celtics' guys were 2 players who weren't the biggest or best at their posistions but outworked everyone hondo and cowens
was lucky enough to see that cowens intensity with hondo work ethic be morphed in larry birds rookie season

thanks, back to lurking

true fans root for championships even when their team misses the playoffs! ;D lurkers ftw!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 08:00:51 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
KG coming out for the first time wearing a Celtics jersey.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 08:13:33 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I remember being intrigued when Bird hit his head on the floor, left and then came back thinking that one tough SOB. But at the time I was a Bulls fan, mostly because it was the cool thing and because of Jordan and Pippen.

But then after '96 I graduated highshcool and a friend of mine started to have me over to watch games after mens league. Then it started to become a couple times a week, to when I didn't show up at pre game, he'd call and ask if i was coming over.

I remember Tommy and "I Love Walta!"

But PP's come back against the Nets was the first legit game I could remember, my friend had left to sell some one his car because they were loosing so bad, and when he got back he was sooo mad he missed it. Didn't believe me at first when i said they won.

First game I saw we were 7 rows up behind the basket and I could see PP shake his head at who ever was guarding him, he made his move disappeared behind the post and next time I saw him he was finishing a loud dunk. That was awesome.

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
I became a C's fan probably around 1983 (I was eight years-old), and I guess my first memory is watching the C's on CBS with Dick Stockton and Tommy Heinsohn.  I of course became a huge Bird fan almost immediately and the rest is history as they say.

same for me i would say 1983 was correct. i was 13. yep. tommy was great on CBS.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 08:20:16 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
October 31, 1997. I was 9 years old at the time. The Celtics beat Michael Jordan and the defending champion Chicago Bulls to kick off the Rick Pitino Era. Antoine Walker had a huge game, outscoring MJ 31-30. Antoine even busted out the "Walker Wiggle".

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »

Offline TAllen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
My first memory of being a fan was watching Dana Barros, Dee Brown, Rick Fox, Dino Raja, David Wesley, and even some Kevin McHale at the very end of his career.  The first actual games I remember watching were of the 1995 playoff series against the Orlando Magic.  My first great memory of the team was when they beat the Bulls the very first game of the year in either 1996 or 1997.

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 08:23:19 PM »

Offline TAllen

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 16
Unless you are a young fan if you became a fan when they got Ray and KG then you aren't a true die hard that suffered through the lean years like true fans did.

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 08:34:11 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
My first memory of being a fan was watching Dana Barros, Dee Brown, Rick Fox, Dino Raja, David Wesley, and even some Kevin McHale at the very end of his career.  The first actual games I remember watching were of the 1995 playoff series against the Orlando Magic.  My first great memory of the team was when they beat the Bulls the very first game of the year in either 1996 or 1997.

Tommy point.  I think you are the first one on here who claims to have become a fan during the mid-nineties. 

You definitely deserved 2008 for that. 

Edit:  Sorry, PRIDE, missed your post at first.  One for you, as well.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 08:46:15 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
1947 vs Toronto Huskies

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
early 1960s....i would sit in my room, listening to johnny most announce games over the radio.

i still can hear him calling play by play.... "jonjon with the ball. top of the key. bang!"

god i loved listening to him. he was great.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 09:07:32 PM »

Offline DeeMeds

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Watching Ron Mercer as a 5 year old, that's weird right?

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 09:26:26 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Unless you are a young fan if you became a fan when they got Ray and KG then you aren't a true die hard that suffered through the lean years like true fans did.

I am unfortunately  there but I had no interest in Boston sports until the 2007-08 Celts. I watched the Pat's and Sox dominate but it didn't do anything for me. I do follow the Pat's now to shorten by sports drought by a few months. But I was I could say I watched the old C's.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 09:30:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
1947 vs Toronto Huskies

Peach baskets and all
Yup

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 09:48:48 PM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
This one might date me a bit  8)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/197310120BOS.html

Buffalo vs Celtics, first game of season in 1973. I remember as a kid being blown away by watching a few players named Cowens, Havilicek and Silas and watching them beat some noob named McAdoo

Funny note on this is that I won a $100 bet years later in a bar with friend who swore and was positive their was never a team in Buffalo. That was an easy bet to win for me that night.

I do not remember Kuberski or Finkel perhaps I started watching in seventy four.  I remember the rest of the Roster and Ernie D. was a local guy for Buffalo.  Did Chaney later coach the team for a while?  I have trouble remembering the coaches before Bill Fitch.

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 10:20:41 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Been a casual fan since Antoine's rookie year. Became a doe hard during the 2001-2002 playoff run. That game 3 comeback against the Nets... O man. Probably one of the best celtics memory I have.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6