Author Topic: Kristaps Porzingis altercation in Latvia  (Read 1823 times)

Kristaps Porzingis altercation in Latvia
« on: May 12, 2019, 07:00:32 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
'Staps got in some kind of trouble in his home country.
He seems very upset.
Report is that several Russians attacked him.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/05/12/kristaps-porzingis-altercation
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: Kristaps Porzingis altercation in Latvia
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 07:55:49 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Good thing he’s alive. Getting in a fight with the wrong group of people in an ex soviet country can cost your life.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Good thing he’s alive. Getting in a fight with the wrong group of people in an ex soviet country can cost your life.
same could be said for certain neighborhoods in almost all US cities.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 10:14:01 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Apparently, one of his friends lost his puls and was revived. Dangerous stuff. Additionally, gang that attacked them were angry fans (NY), but I don't buy that. I think these people are just angry and sad individuals. They just look for an excuse for violence.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 10:40:46 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Somehow the fact he gets caught in that predicament suggests immaturity. He could have gotten hurt and ruined his career. You’re 7’3” famous basketball player rehabbing a serious knee injury. What are you thinking?

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 02:35:33 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Somehow the fact he gets caught in that predicament suggests immaturity. He could have gotten hurt and ruined his career. You’re 7’3” famous basketball player rehabbing a serious knee injury. What are you thinking?
He was thinking that he can freely exist in his home country.
You don't think that this is a viable option? He should take a beating for that?
I don't get your angle.

He is not rehabing any longer:
Kristaps Porzingis, who is now fully recovered from his knee injury, said he never intended to play this season.
His thought process was to spend a full year working on his body and biomechanics to maximize his potential to have a long, healthy career according to Tim MacMahon of ESPN. Porzingis is excited about the results, as he claims that he's more explosive with more mobility than he had before the injury. He expects to play both the four and five for the Mavs next season and will be a risk-reward pick due to questions about his durability.

https://www.rotoworld.com/basketball/nba/player/30160/kristaps-porzingis

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 03:03:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
You don't think that this is a viable option? He should take a beating for that?
I don't get your angle.

Kristaps Porzingis, who is now fully recovered from his knee injury, said he never intended to play this season.
His thought process was to spend a full year working on his body and biomechanics to maximize his potential to have a long, healthy career according to Tim MacMahon of ESPN. Porzingis is excited about the results, as he claims that he's more explosive with more mobility than he had before the injury. He expects to play both the four and five for the Mavs next season and will be a risk-reward pick due to questions about his durability.

If you get your face smashed in at a bar, and you're a celebrity, you have to ask yourself: What the heck am I doing in this bar in the first place?

It's only a free country in theory. Not as much when you are a celebrity.  Grow the F up. 

This is the same guy who is being accused of sexual assault.  I have no idea if he is guilty or not. But it seems like trouble has been following him a lot of late. 

I was a huge fan of KP before the draft, and wanted us to try to nab him when Phil Jackson was dangling him as trade bait.

But you have to admit his character and maturity have come into question given what has recently transpired.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 03:20:43 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I don't get your angle.

If you get your face smashed in at a bar, and you're a celebrity, you have to ask yourself: What the heck am I doing in this bar in the first place?

It's only a free country in theory. Not as much when you are a celebrity.  Grow the F up. 

This is the same guy who is being accused of sexual assault.  I have no idea if he is guilty or not. But it seems like trouble has been following him a lot of late. 

I was a huge fan of KP before the draft, and wanted us to try to nab him when Phil Jackson was dangling him as trade bait.

But you have to admit his character and maturity have come into question given what has recently transpired.

What most 23 year old, rich NBA players are doing.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 04:33:11 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
I don't get your angle.

You and I definitely see the world with different set of eyes.

Just to make sure;
If someone accused you of a rape (by my unofficial count 113% of NBA players get accused of rape at some point) and then a group of guys jumps on you and they try to beat you up, almost killing your friend in the process, then I could describe you as an - immature person?

Or do you think that he is an immature cause you think he foresaw the future but still went to that bar regardless?

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 04:46:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Nothing good happens for sports stars after hours outside of nightclubs. I understand that in your 20's, and even 30's, having fun in clubs is part of what happens. But when you are a star, outside those clubs, you have a target on your back. It's best to have personal security and if you are making millions every year, a good security person is a good investment.

That said, Kristaps and his friend were victims and it's not their fault they were attacked. I just hope Kristaps has learned something and decides to avoid nightclubs, only go to nightclubs with a reputation of having great security you can use, only go to nightclubs that cater to celebrities or hire a body guard.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 04:50:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Nothing good happens for sports stars after hours outside of nightclubs. I understand that in your 20's, and even 30's, having fun in clubs is part of what happens. But when you are a star, outside those clubs, you have a target on your back. It's best to have personal security and if you are making millions every year, a good security person is a good investment.

That said, Kristaps and his friend were victims and it's not their fault they were attacked. I just hope Kristaps has learned something and decides to avoid nightclubs, only go to nightclubs with a reputation of having great security you can use, only go to nightclubs that cater to celebrities or hire a body guard.
Do we actually know what happened?  I mean who is to say KP or his friend weren't the instigators.  I wasn't there, I have no idea what happened, but I do think it is a bit early to start calling people victims, aggressors, etc. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 05:00:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Reports are they were jumped by a group of disgruntled Russians who were upset with him not being a Knick any longer. He was reportedly hit with a chair. When you get jumped first by a group of people, you generally are not the instigator. Hence, victim.

You want to hold off on saying that because you want more info? Great. I have no problem with that. To me, reports are he had little culpability.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 05:05:51 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

Do we actually know what happened?  I mean who is to say KP or his friend weren't the instigators.  I wasn't there, I have no idea what happened, but I do think it is a bit early to start calling people victims, aggressors, etc.
Both of you are right:
- he should invest in security more
- we don't have enough facts to know the whole thing

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 05:25:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The reports certainly seem like Porzginas was a victim of a brutal jumping. Latest from shams.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1127652896340881408?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet