Author Topic: Trade Deadline Rumors and Deals Thread  (Read 52383 times)

Re: Trade Deadline Rumors and Deals Thread
« Reply #390 on: February 07, 2019, 05:18:09 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
How worried are people here about what the other East teams did?

Maybe I'm delusional, but I still think Boston can beat all these teams. I don't know. Without LeBron, there's just no team I think offers an insurmountable challenge.

I'm just as scared of every team as I was before the trades.

Milwaukee: Very scared but confident
Toronto: Concerned but will believe it when I see it
Philly: Completely unworried, I refuse to respect them til they earn it.

The only team that worries me is Milwaukee. Their point differential (currently +10.2) is absurd and they just added yet another shooter to put on the floor with Giannis.

The Bucks got a shooting big and a versatile Defender in Johnson.   They are well positioned for the playoffs!

Johnson was traded in the deal for Mirotic.

Oh, Really? I thought Johnson was the better fit.

Let's hope Mirotic is cold when we see them in the ECF.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #391 on: February 07, 2019, 05:24:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Let's hope Mirotic is cold when we see them in the ECF.

He has very fragile health,  maybe his defender can shout "OMG Bobby Portis is behind you"

« Reply #392 on: February 07, 2019, 05:28:43 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
So what did we get for jabari bird?

Edit : sorry, heavily protected second rounder :o
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 05:34:04 PM by trickybilly »
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #393 on: February 07, 2019, 05:32:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

A roster spot.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #394 on: February 07, 2019, 05:35:23 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

A roster spot.

A bunch of soon to be felonies off the books.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #395 on: February 07, 2019, 05:47:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is it really much to be chest puffing about that the return on an overall #1 draft pick in a trade less than two season later was Jonathon Simmons, a top 20 protected first rounder & a 2nd rounder?

That's pretty horrendous by any standards.

As Ja Rule once said, someone got "bamboozled" at draft time.
People on here have hilarious takes.  Nobody is chest puffing.  The Sixers made the best that they could out of a bad situation.  Since Fultz still hasn't started practicing again, his value during the offseason would almost certainly have been lower. 

That one who got bamboozled was Colangelo and he was also the idiot that traded the OKC protected pick to the Magic for some Euro center who had a slim to none chance of being an NBA player.  The Fultz trade is certainly better than the fake 1st trade that Colangelo did to get rid of Noel.
Don't care because at this point the Boston-Philly trade is now Tatum and the Sacto pic for Jonathan Simmons(a horrible player), a top 20 protected 2020 pick from OKC that looks like it will become a 2nd rounder and a late 2nd rounder. That's an absolute worse case scenario Philly could have been looking at when they decided to trade a #3 pick and a future LAL/Sacramento pick to Boston for the chance at Markelle Fultz.

If this was Mortal Combat ....

« Reply #396 on: February 07, 2019, 05:52:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Is it really much to be chest puffing about that the return on an overall #1 draft pick in a trade less than two season later was Jonathon Simmons, a top 20 protected first rounder & a 2nd rounder?

People on here have hilarious takes.  Nobody is chest puffing.  The Sixers made the best that they could out of a bad situation.  Since Fultz still hasn't started practicing again, his value during the offseason would almost certainly have been lower. 

That one who got bamboozled was Colangelo and he was also the idiot that traded the OKC protected pick to the Magic for some Euro center who had a slim to none chance of being an NBA player.  The Fultz trade is certainly better than the fake 1st trade that Colangelo did to get rid of Noel.
Don't care because at this point the Boston-Philly trade is now Tatum and the Sacto pic for Jonathan Simmons(a horrible player), a top 20 protected 2020 pick from OKC that looks like it will become a 2nd rounder and a late 2nd rounder. That's an absolute worse case scenario Philly could have been looking at when they decided to trade a #3 pick and a future LAL/Sacramento pick to Boston for the chance at Markelle Fultz.

That trade looks straight up veto-worthy now, lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #397 on: February 07, 2019, 06:14:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I think most would say your takes on the 76ers are actually what are hilarious.

« Reply #398 on: February 07, 2019, 06:17:38 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

OKC is most likely going to be a top 10 team in 2020 so the pick will most likely be a late 1st not a 2nd.  The 2nd rounder the Sixers will receive is the Cavs 2019 so its going to be a good 2nd not a late 2nd. 

« Reply #399 on: February 07, 2019, 06:26:45 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

So if you were the Sixers you would have hung on to Fultz instead of making this trade? 

« Reply #400 on: February 07, 2019, 06:31:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

So if you were the Sixers you would have hung on to Fultz instead of making this trade?
I would have.  They didn't have to move him, he still has the potential for 2 years to get healthy and increase value.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #401 on: February 07, 2019, 06:38:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I would have.  They didn't have to move him, he still has the potential for 2 years to get healthy and increase value.

Yea I think so. Simmons is a net negative player. If they could get Terrance Ross you could at least argue he could swing a playoff game. This is the definition of selling low. For what it is worth, this is the take of most 76ers fans I have seen. So you are kind off on an island thinking this was a good deal for them.

Also for what it is worth I think the Harris Trade was good for them, now that I have had time to digest it. So i think they had a nice deadline overall. I am happy they may not get some better buyout guys (guess matthews is going to Indy and I was worried they would get him. This just seems like a bizarre trade to not feel happy about as a Celtics fan as it is an objectively horrible return for a number 1 pick we traded to them 18 months ago.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:44:15 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #402 on: February 07, 2019, 06:46:40 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Yea I think so. Simmons is a net negative player. If they could get Terrance Ross you could at least argue he could swing a playoff game. This is the definition of selling low. For what it is worth, this is the take of most 76ers fans I have seen. So you are kind off on an island thinking this was a good deal for them.

Also for what it is worth I think the Harris Trade was good for them, now that I have had time to digest it. So i think they had a nice deadline overall. I am happy they may not get some better buyout guys (guess matthews is going to Indy and I was worried they would get him. This just seems like a bizarre trade to not feel happy about as a Celtics fan as it is an objectively horrible return for a number 1 pick we traded to them 18 months ago.
Colangelo looks bad once again. Glad we have DA.

« Reply #403 on: February 07, 2019, 06:48:51 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Sources: The Orlando Magic had opportunity to move Terrence Ross to Philadelphia vs Jonathon Simmons, but Orlando chose to keep Ross and add in the future OKC 1st instead. The Magic will continue to push for a playoff spot this season by keeping Ross and All-Star Nikola Vucevic.

https://twitter.com/keithsmithnba/status/1093597730251915264?s=21

ORL could have chosen a Ross expiring instead of the pick and Simmons

« Reply #404 on: February 07, 2019, 06:51:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

How'd hanging on to Okafor to increase his value work out for them?  On the flip slide Hinkie trading MCW a year and a half into his rookie contract was a great decision. 

They were on the hook for his 9.7M salary in 2019/20 and would have had to make the decision to pickup his 4th year option for 12.2M by October.  Once they made the trades for Butler and Harris, they switched to win now mode and hanging onto 20M in deadweight salary on the hope that he'd improve his value made little sense.  He's returned to the team but he hasn't started practicing with them.  It is not clear that his issue has been correctly diagnosed and if it has been I doubt physical therapy is going to resolve it.