Author Topic: Why not sign & trade davis for odom?  (Read 3322 times)

Why not sign & trade davis for odom?
« on: July 27, 2009, 10:47:02 PM »

Offline celticswillwin43

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 80
The Lakers, well the celtics first will sign davis to a portion of a mid level, around 4 or 5 million. Celtics send along scal or ta. Odom already has gotten a reduced deal from the Lakers from their earlier offer of 3 years 27 million. Why doesn't lamar come to the celtics for 7-8 million to get back at the lakers who wont give him the money that he deserves, and no doubt does he deserve it, he played like a champ this year.

Mr. Buss will end up with nothing if lamar signs with the heat. Why not pick up a bright young star in davis?

Re: Why not sign & trade davis for odom?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 10:49:43 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Buss is not going to help out the team that is bound to meet his team in the Finals again, no matter how much potential Davis has. Plus they use Odom as a SF,PF and C along with playmaker off the bench. Davis can't do that.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:50:59 PM »

Offline wild

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
good idea

But I love seeing Odom not wearing green. Maybe because he's a worthy opponent for the Cs ;)
Get that 18th banner ready!

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 10:52:19 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
good idea

But I love seeing Odom not wearing green. Maybe because he's a worthy opponent for the Cs ;)

Yeah .. the Lakers will go out of their way to make the Celtics better. 

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 10:53:00 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Dealing with the devil? No thanks. And I'd rather see KG smacking Odom around than seeing Odom playing in Green. I feel sick just thinking about it. There should be a law against former Lakers (especially ones that helped them win championships) playing for the Celtics.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The Lakers, well the celtics first will sign davis to a portion of a mid level, around 4 or 5 million. Celtics send along scal or ta. Odom already has gotten a reduced deal from the Lakers from their earlier offer of 3 years 27 million. Why doesn't lamar come to the celtics for 7-8 million to get back at the lakers who wont give him the money that he deserves, and no doubt does he deserve it, he played like a champ this year.

Mr. Buss will end up with nothing if lamar signs with the heat. Why not pick up a bright young star in davis?

???

First, the Celtics have already used the MLE.
Second, why would we use the MLE to re-sign our own player?
Third, the package we would be sending to the Lakers would be crap they don't need.
Fourth, why would the Lakers want to take on more contracts than they are giving up (considering BBD would be BYC)?

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:39:43 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

we get a second mid level exception???

Sweeeettt!

anyway, im not opposed to lamar off our bench, he's a heck of a player and it hurts the lakers to not get him back, but for the above as well as the fact that the lakers would never help thier number one rival sign a player like odom, it aint happening.

The lakers would rather get nothing for odom going to the heat over gifting him to their number one rival in the scenario above, i have to imagine.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:47:06 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
A few things:

1) It's hard to pull off deals like that, due to "base year compensation";

2) The Lakers would have to agree to facilitate the move to use, and there's no way that happens;

3) Lamar wants to be in a warm weather climate, and that's not Boston; and

4) Boston doesn't have the tax advantages that Florida does.

If Odom leaves LA, it will be to sign in Miami.

(As for people quibbling about the MLE, we have BBD's early-Bird rights, giving us the right to sign him to a deal capped at the amount of the MLE, so it's essentially one in the same.  As such, in a way we *do* have a second MLE, but only for Davis.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 08:31:15 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Dealing with the devil? No thanks. And I'd rather see KG smacking Odom around than seeing Odom playing in Green. I feel sick just thinking about it. There should be a law against former Lakers (especially ones that helped them win championships) playing for the Celtics.

Rick Fox won a ring with the Lakers.  So it's only ok for former Celtics to get a ring with the 'enemy'.  I say it should work both ways.  Odom may be 'soft' but he is a very versatile big man who poses matchup problems.

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 08:33:53 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
odom is at that injure prone age..i dont know..i like his game but i dont know

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I am sure that the Lakers are going to help us help Odom screw them for their low offer... ::)