Poll

Guess: Who Is Lebron Playing For After This Season?

Cleveland Cavaliers (He Stays)
33 (30.6%)
Houston Rockets
13 (12%)
Los Angeles Clippers
3 (2.8%)
Los Angeles Lakers
32 (29.6%)
New York Knicks
4 (3.7%)
Boston Celtics (Hey... Who Knows)
4 (3.7%)
Philadelphia 76ers
9 (8.3%)
Milwaukee Bucks
1 (0.9%)
San Antonio Spurs
6 (5.6%)
Other Team (Comment Below!)
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?  (Read 49686 times)

Re: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2017, 09:48:05 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Absolutely not.

How in god's name can anybody envision Simmons and Lebron working together?  They both need the ball in their hand 90% of the time in order to be most effective, and Simmon's greatest talent is his playmakng - something Lebron will want control over 24-7. 

On top of that, having a Lebron, Simmons and Embiid on the court will offer no outside shooting outside of JJ Reddick...

And a team consisting of Simmons, Reddick and Lebron would be so terrible defensively that I can't even envision. 

The reason the Sixers are playing so well right now is that Simmons and Embiid are the focal point of the team, and those two guys are playing great together. They have the potential to develop into a very unique Stockton-and-Malone type duo if they can stay healthy, and Philly would be idiots to do anything to threaten that potential core - even if it means bringing in Lebron.  At 36 years of age (next year) Lebron will have at most 3 years left in him as a truly dominant force, while Simmons and Embiid have the potential to dominate the league as a duo for the next 10-12 years. 

The last thing you want is Lebron coming on board and forcing everybody to change their games and make compromises to fit what he wants to do.  He is the worst thing that could happen to the Sixers.  The anti-process.

They would lose Reddick if Lebron signed there most likely. I also agree with everything you else you said here. It doesn't make much sense at any level.
They could use the MLE to re-sign Redick.  They are basically paying him 3 times more than he's made in a single year.  I think they have better options but signing Lebron on a 1+1 deal would make some sense in the short term.  My main concern would be the Lebron baggage not Lebron/Simmons fit or any other on court issues.
yeah they can easily fit Redick and James if they dump Bayless somewhere (which shouldn't be that hard with a 1st round pick or two attached) and assuming Redick is fine with a 10 million or so contract (which again I don't see why he wouldn't be).

Reddick is making 23 million this year. He isn't one of these guys that was making 20 million his whole career. I think he could get 15 on the open market cause he could be the kind of player that puts a contender in need of shooting over the top. Not sure he takes a 5 million paycut to play for a city he spent 1 year in. By all means though let's keep the circle hug going on how everything will work perfect for philly.

« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2017, 09:59:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Absolutely not.

How in god's name can anybody envision Simmons and Lebron working together?  They both need the ball in their hand 90% of the time in order to be most effective, and Simmon's greatest talent is his playmakng - something Lebron will want control over 24-7. 

On top of that, having a Lebron, Simmons and Embiid on the court will offer no outside shooting outside of JJ Reddick...

And a team consisting of Simmons, Reddick and Lebron would be so terrible defensively that I can't even envision. 

The reason the Sixers are playing so well right now is that Simmons and Embiid are the focal point of the team, and those two guys are playing great together. They have the potential to develop into a very unique Stockton-and-Malone type duo if they can stay healthy, and Philly would be idiots to do anything to threaten that potential core - even if it means bringing in Lebron.  At 36 years of age (next year) Lebron will have at most 3 years left in him as a truly dominant force, while Simmons and Embiid have the potential to dominate the league as a duo for the next 10-12 years. 

The last thing you want is Lebron coming on board and forcing everybody to change their games and make compromises to fit what he wants to do.  He is the worst thing that could happen to the Sixers.  The anti-process.

They would lose Reddick if Lebron signed there most likely. I also agree with everything you else you said here. It doesn't make much sense at any level.
They could use the MLE to re-sign Redick.  They are basically paying him 3 times more than he's made in a single year.  I think they have better options but signing Lebron on a 1+1 deal would make some sense in the short term.  My main concern would be the Lebron baggage not Lebron/Simmons fit or any other on court issues.
yeah they can easily fit Redick and James if they dump Bayless somewhere (which shouldn't be that hard with a 1st round pick or two attached) and assuming Redick is fine with a 10 million or so contract (which again I don't see why he wouldn't be).

Reddick is making 23 million this year. He isn't one of these guys that was making 20 million his whole career. I think he could get 15 on the open market cause he could be the kind of player that puts a contender in need of shooting over the top. Not sure he takes a 5 million paycut to play for a city he spent 1 year in. By all means though let's keep the circle hug going on how everything will work perfect for philly.
which of the 6 or so teams with that kind of cap space are going to sign Redick for that kind of money, and assuming you find 1 that will give him that kind of money, why would Redick leave a playoff team to go there?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2017, 10:04:29 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Absolutely not.

which of the 6 or so teams with that kind of cap space are going to sign Redick for that kind of money, and assuming you find 1 that will give him that kind of money, why would Redick leave a playoff team to go there?

Sigh we are having the same discussion on several threads and I know you know enough about basketball to know cap space situations can change very quickly with trades. The funniest part to me is that when it is something you want to happen like Lebron going to Philly you quickly point out how the 76ers could dump Bayless to clear cap space. However when it is something you don't like the idea of you can't wrap your head around how a team could do it. We just had a discussion on how easily the Suns could clear room if they were hell bent on it. We could do that with just about every team.

« Reply #108 on: December 01, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Absolutely not.

Sigh we are having the same discussion on several threads and I know you know enough about basketball to know cap space situations can change very quickly with trades. The funniest part to me is that when it is something you want to happen like Lebron going to Philly you quickly point out how the 76ers could dump Bayless to clear cap space. However when it is something you don't like the idea of you can't wrap your head around how a team could do it. We just had a discussion on how easily the Suns could clear room if they were hell bent on it. We could do that with just about every team.
not to get to max cap room or to sign someone like Redick.  Teams don't dump salary with 1st round picks (or other assets) to sign someone like JJ Redick. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2017, 10:55:25 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yesterday's team + Embiid and possibly Lebron would be WAY TOO MUCH for us to handle (even after getting back a healthy Hayward)

Even Kyrie (our best player) would be the considered the 4th best player of both teams combined...

I'm pretty sure Kyrie would be considered the 2nd best player in that game. A healthy Embiid would have a case, but certainly not Simmons. I suppose you may be adding another year of growth to his game, but Kyrie is currently a much better player than Simmons. It would have to be quite a jump - very possible in the future, but unlikely in the next year or two.

I would even say that Hayward is a solid #4 with Horford fighting it out with Simmons for #5. Lebron is so the best player, though, that I agree that they would probably be a lot for us to handle. Tatum and Brown could have some sway.

Maybe 3rd best, but a healthy Embiid easily over Kyrie. Dude is a monster lol.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Kind of think at this point, it's Philadelphia 76ers or Los Angeles Lakers.

I think Lebron somewhat acknowledges that unless the Warriors suffer like 2 big injuries, the Cavs as constructed aren't getting past them in the Finals (even with healthy Isaiah).

« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2017, 08:13:46 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He buying home and found high school for little bronny .

It s all over but signing the ink.

« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2017, 08:23:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Kind of think at this point, it's Philadelphia 76ers or Los Angeles Lakers.

I think Lebron somewhat acknowledges that unless the Warriors suffer like 2 big injuries, the Cavs as constructed aren't getting past them in the Finals (even with healthy Isaiah).
Id say the Cavs are overwhelming favorites for Bron's services at the moment.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2017, 08:29:42 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
This thread is pathetic and an embarrassment to the board. Should be deleted.

« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
http://www.phillyvoice.com/three-lebron-james-philly-billboards-installed-cleveland/

Looks like the Sixers are going all-in with their recruiting of Lebron  :o

(Remember Simmons IG post right before the All Star Break also?)

« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We could only be so lucky. Would be a bad move for Philly future long term.

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Why? They add Lebron for just $$ and still keep building w/their young core.

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Why? They add Lebron for just $$ and still keep building w/their young core.

Can we have this merged into a Lebron Free agency thread? I don't think we need separate threads for every possible thing that could happen with Lebron. This is basically the same discussion happening in the "legacy" thread.

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2018, 01:20:12 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Yes, but he won't.  Agree with the poll that LAL is most likely if he does leave.  Simmons is too ball dominant in PHI, and the guys in LAL, along with PG, would willingly defer to him.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2018, 01:50:22 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Yes, but he won't.  Agree with the poll that LAL is most likely if he does leave.  Simmons is too ball dominant in PHI, and the guys in LAL, along with PG, would willingly defer to him.
I don't really get the Bron to LAL thing.  First, he'd only go there if Paul George does.  In this case, there would be 4 SF (Bron, Paul George, Kuzma and Ingram).  I know in today's day and age of positionless basketball it works a bit better, but Nobody can really argue that any of those guys can truly cover a 2 who is running all over the floor.

Second, LeBron has to see he's got a maximum window of 2-3 years.  Why join a team who's best players are all young?

Time will tell.