Poll

Guess: Who Is Lebron Playing For After This Season?

Cleveland Cavaliers (He Stays)
33 (30.6%)
Houston Rockets
13 (12%)
Los Angeles Clippers
3 (2.8%)
Los Angeles Lakers
32 (29.6%)
New York Knicks
4 (3.7%)
Boston Celtics (Hey... Who Knows)
4 (3.7%)
Philadelphia 76ers
9 (8.3%)
Milwaukee Bucks
1 (0.9%)
San Antonio Spurs
6 (5.6%)
Other Team (Comment Below!)
3 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?  (Read 49729 times)

Re: Are We Doomed If Lebron Joins The Philadelphia 76ers Next Summer?
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Absolutely not.

How in god's name can anybody envision Simmons and Lebron working together?  They both need the ball in their hand 90% of the time in order to be most effective, and Simmon's greatest talent is his playmakng - something Lebron will want control over 24-7. 

On top of that, having a Lebron, Simmons and Embiid on the court will offer no outside shooting outside of JJ Reddick...

And a team consisting of Simmons, Reddick and Lebron would be so terrible defensively that I can't even envision. 

The reason the Sixers are playing so well right now is that Simmons and Embiid are the focal point of the team, and those two guys are playing great together. They have the potential to develop into a very unique Stockton-and-Malone type duo if they can stay healthy, and Philly would be idiots to do anything to threaten that potential core - even if it means bringing in Lebron.  At 36 years of age (next year) Lebron will have at most 3 years left in him as a truly dominant force, while Simmons and Embiid have the potential to dominate the league as a duo for the next 10-12 years. 

The last thing you want is Lebron coming on board and forcing everybody to change their games and make compromises to fit what he wants to do.  He is the worst thing that could happen to the Sixers.  The anti-process.

« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2017, 06:49:43 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I'm not afraid of LeBUM and couldn't care less where he goes except I hope he doesn't go to the C's.

« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2017, 06:56:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Absolutely not.

How in god's name can anybody envision Simmons and Lebron working together?  They both need the ball in their hand 90% of the time in order to be most effective, and Simmon's greatest talent is his playmakng - something Lebron will want control over 24-7. 

On top of that, having a Lebron, Simmons and Embiid on the court will offer no outside shooting outside of JJ Reddick...

And a team consisting of Simmons, Reddick and Lebron would be so terrible defensively that I can't even envision. 

The reason the Sixers are playing so well right now is that Simmons and Embiid are the focal point of the team, and those two guys are playing great together. They have the potential to develop into a very unique Stockton-and-Malone type duo if they can stay healthy, and Philly would be idiots to do anything to threaten that potential core - even if it means bringing in Lebron.  At 36 years of age (next year) Lebron will have at most 3 years left in him as a truly dominant force, while Simmons and Embiid have the potential to dominate the league as a duo for the next 10-12 years. 

The last thing you want is Lebron coming on board and forcing everybody to change their games and make compromises to fit what he wants to do.  He is the worst thing that could happen to the Sixers.  The anti-process.

They would lose Reddick if Lebron signed there most likely. I also agree with everything you else you said here. It doesn't make much sense at any level.

« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2017, 07:02:07 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
As for the Poll, I could see him going to the Knicks. 

Lebron is an attention whoare of the highest degree, and he's gong to want to be somehwere where the lights shine bright and the entire worlds spotlight is on him. 

I can envision him wanting to come to Boston, but Ainge having no interesting in mortgaging the future to make it happen.  I can see him trying to join the Spurs, but Popovich wanting nothing to do with a self-obsessed narcissistic diva.  I very much doubt the Cavs have any hope of challenging the Warriors this year, so I feel about 70% - 80% confident he isn't staying in Cleveland.  I don't think Milwaukee would want him taking attention off Giannis. 

Knicks make sense - with Kanter, Porzingis, Hardaway Jr the Knicks have a reasonably talented young team and are proving to be pretty competitive this year.  They could use a star on the perimeter and could also use a dominant ball handler, so Lebron would actually be a very good fit there.  Knicks fans would love him because he'd immediatley bring wins, and I think he'd instantly make the Knicks a contender again - which is something they have been dying to have for years (decades?). Seems like a match made in heaven. New York also seems like the perfect atmosphere to harbor Lebron's diva attitude, since they've had more than their share of diva's there int he past 10 years. 

The Lakers somewhat fit too, but Lonzo ball looks like a disaster, Ingram still doesn't look like a top 3 pick, Randle is a bum, and can't imagine how Lebron's selfish diva (there goe's that word again!!!) attitude would mesh with Magic Johnson...given that Lebron seems to want pull rank and pull the strings on every team he plays on, while I somehow don't see Magic Johnson (one of the few men in the league who has just as much credibility as Lebron) being especially happy to give up his control.  Plus going to the west means having to compete with the Warriors and Rockets, and we all know the Lakers with Lebron are not beating either of those teams.

So, I'm going to say the Knicks.  The roster fits, since they could use a player with his skill set.
 Their phase fits, as they are a young upcoming team that could take a really huge leap forward with the addition of an elite veteran leader.  They don't have much in the way of coaching or leadership, so they'd likely be happy for Lebron to come in and tell them what to do.  On top of all that it's a city built around bright lights and drama - something that Lebron seems to not be able to get enough of.  And it's a city that has been desperate for a winning team since Patrick Ewing left, so they would likely worship Lebron if he can make them relevant again - and we all know Lebron's ego loves nothing more then some worshiping. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:08:45 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2017, 07:22:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Lebron is an attention whoare of the highest degree, and he's gong to want to be somehwere where the lights shine bright and the entire worlds spotlight is on him. 

I can envision him wanting to come to Boston, but Ainge having no interesting in mortgaging the future to make it happen.  I can see him trying to join the Spurs, but Popovich wanting nothing to do with a self-obsessed narcissistic diva.  I very much doubt the Cavs have any hope of challenging the Warriors this year, so I feel about 70% - 80% confident he isn't staying in Cleveland.  I don't think Milwaukee would want him taking attention off Giannis. 

Knicks make sense - with Kanter, Porzingis, Hardaway Jr the Knicks have a reasonably talented young team and are proving to be pretty competitive this year.  They could use a star on the perimeter and could also use a dominant ball handler, so Lebron would actually be a very good fit there.  Knicks fans would love him because he'd immediatley bring wins, and I think he'd instantly make the Knicks a contender again - which is something they have been dying to have for years (decades?). Seems like a match made in heaven. New York also seems like the perfect atmosphere to harbor Lebron's diva attitude, since they've had more than their share of diva's there int he past 10 years. 

The Lakers somewhat fit too, but Lonzo ball looks like a disaster, Ingram still doesn't look like a top 3 pick, Randle is a bum, and can't imagine how Lebron's selfish diva (there goe's that word again!!!) attitude would mesh with Magic Johnson...given that Lebron seems to want pull rank and pull the strings on every team he plays on, while I somehow don't see Magic Johnson (one of the few men in the league who has just as much credibility as Lebron) being especially happy to give up his control.  Plus going to the west means having to compete with the Warriors and Rockets, and we all know the Lakers with Lebron are not beating either of those teams.

So, I'm going to say the Knicks.  The roster fits, since they could use a player with his skill set.
 Their phase fits, as they are a young upcoming team that could take a really huge leap forward with the addition of an elite veteran leader.  They don't have much in the way of coaching or leadership, so they'd likely be happy for Lebron to come in and tell them what to do.  On top of all that it's a city built around bright lights and drama - something that Lebron seems to not be able to get enough of.  And it's a city that has been desperate for a winning team since Patrick Ewing left, so they would likely worship Lebron if he can make them relevant again - and we all know Lebron's ego loves nothing more then some worshiping.

There was an article about this on the Ringer and they made it seem pretty plausible. I really do think Lebron had his fun party time in Miami, his going home narrative and delivering a championship and now wants to be on a huge stage as he prepares for his post basketball life and owning a team. LA and New York make sense for that I think any team he goes on except like the Magic or Nets would become a contender with him.

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2017, 07:26:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Typical the sky is falling stuff.

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2017, 08:09:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I could see the Knicks too, although it would be a bit awkward with Kanter there LOL.  :laugh:

But idk, Lebron didn't seem happy the way it played out with the Knicks FO and Carmelo Anthony (His good friend), and although he was more frustrated with Phil Jackson, I think Lebron may also not be fond of James Dolan either.

That being said, NYK is definitely an option at least, especially with Porzingis there, and some youth as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2017, 08:59:48 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Delete

« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Yesterday's team + Embiid and possibly Lebron would be WAY TOO MUCH for us to handle (even after getting back a healthy Hayward)

Even Kyrie (our best player) would be the considered the 4th best player of both teams combined...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2017, 08:43:20 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yesterday's team + Embiid and possibly Lebron would be WAY TOO MUCH for us to handle (even after getting back a healthy Hayward)

Even Kyrie (our best player) would be the considered the 4th best player of both teams combined...

I'm pretty sure Kyrie would be considered the 2nd best player in that game. A healthy Embiid would have a case, but certainly not Simmons. I suppose you may be adding another year of growth to his game, but Kyrie is currently a much better player than Simmons. It would have to be quite a jump - very possible in the future, but unlikely in the next year or two.

I would even say that Hayward is a solid #4 with Horford fighting it out with Simmons for #5. Lebron is so the best player, though, that I agree that they would probably be a lot for us to handle. Tatum and Brown could have some sway.

« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2017, 08:52:54 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Wow what a sky is falling post for something that won't ever happen. I would see yesterday's game and think "wow when they get Hayward, an in his prime all-star, back that team with the best record in basketball that won like 22 out of 24 games will be a lot to handle..." that's just me though

« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Wow what a sky is falling post for something that won't ever happen. I would see yesterday's game and think "wow when they get Hayward, an in his prime all-star, back that team with the best record in basketball that won like 22 out of 24 games will be a lot to handle..." that's just me though
won't ever happen?  come on, there is obviously a chance James goes to Philly.  Especially if Embiid and Simmons both make it through the year healthy
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2017, 09:00:45 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Absolutely not.

They would lose Reddick if Lebron signed there most likely. I also agree with everything you else you said here. It doesn't make much sense at any level.
They could use the MLE to re-sign Redick.  They are basically paying him 3 times more than he's made in a single year.  I think they have better options but signing Lebron on a 1+1 deal would make some sense in the short term.  My main concern would be the Lebron baggage not Lebron/Simmons fit or any other on court issues. 

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2017, 09:10:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Absolutely not.

They could use the MLE to re-sign Redick.  They are basically paying him 3 times more than he's made in a single year.  I think they have better options but signing Lebron on a 1+1 deal would make some sense in the short term.  My main concern would be the Lebron baggage not Lebron/Simmons fit or any other on court issues.
yeah they can easily fit Redick and James if they dump Bayless somewhere (which shouldn't be that hard with a 1st round pick or two attached) and assuming Redick is fine with a 10 million or so contract (which again I don't see why he wouldn't be). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

won't ever happen?  come on, there is obviously a chance James goes to Philly.  Especially if Embiid and Simmons both make it through the year healthy

I honestly don't think there is any chance. I will give you a 100 Tps if he is there next season. I really think people are understanding that Lebron James is a corporation on to himself. The access to power and celebrity in LA will really help him build his business empire. He is such a good basketball player any team he goes to except for a small handful of teams (magic, nets) becomes an instant contender. If he wants LA and to be out with his sons he will find a way to make them a great team. Him going to a cold weather city with a middling economy to play alongside two guys that are years away from their prime and still worse than golden state is a bizarre fantasy.