Author Topic: Lobel Let Go From WBZ  (Read 21976 times)

Re: Lobel Let Go From WBZ
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 03:46:38 PM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
Maybe I am too young to remember when he was a capable broadcaster/reporter, but I for one won't be sad to see him go.

However, I was surprised to learn that on the little logo at the bottom corner of the screen during Channel 4 news broadcasts, the number next to the time of day was actually the temperature in Boston, and not Lobel's blood-alcohol content at the time.

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
Maybe I am too young to remember when he was a capable broadcaster/reporter, but I for one won't be sad to see him go.

However, I was surprised to learn that on the little logo at the bottom corner of the screen during Channel 4 news broadcasts, the number next to the time of day was actually the temperature in Boston, and not Lobel's blood-alcohol content at the time.

Bob revolutionized Boston sports coverage.

• He and Upton Bell had a radio sports talk show 15 years before EEI came on the scene (much like the Sports Huddle), I remember my family listening in the car as they talked about the Patriots letting go Chuck Fairbanks.

• His sports casts were must watches

• He was a full fledged Boston Celeb

• In 1983 he "invented" the type of coverage ESPN uses today to cover the America's cup

• His angle was always that from the fan's point of view.

• He turned down big bucks to stay here in Boston.

• He almost always had the inside story before most of the others (Aside from John Dennis spilling the beans on Marvin Haggler)

Lobel was and still is an icon in this town and can do circles around these rent-a-announcers who come and go.  Yes, his off field escapades are legendary, but only because he is.

Here's hoping he lands with NECN and they boot Collins to the curb...or that he ends up with a radio gig. 

Lobel is too [dang] good and without him, WBZ is a station full of carpet baggers; except for Jack Williams, Burton and Sox ass-kisser Roache (who has never been as good as he was when he was doing morning drive on 93.7 WCGY)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 04:16:53 PM by SShoreFan »
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

True.  He would've been the number two guy at CBS (behind Musburger).  Amazingly, he turned it down.  I believe his job ended up going to Jim Nantz. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Are the references to his drinking here based on assumption, rumor or any real evidence?  If no credible source on this, please don't assume someone is drunk on the job simply beacause they seem to be.  My guess is that if he were drunk on the job he would have been let go a long time ago.  

I go way back to Lobel's start in Boston and he certainmly was the premier sportscaster as far as I was concerned.  Like others, I can't remember the last time I actually viewed a local TV station sportscast, so I can't comment on his recent performance.

He used to be candid, playful with the news anchors, quite creative, sometimes funny and pretty thorough in his coverage.   I know nothing of off camera issues -- though my ignorance on this front means nothing -- I am oblivious to many things.

End of an era.

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 04:23:20 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200

True.  He would've been the number two guy at CBS (behind Musburger).  Amazingly, he turned it down.  I believe his job ended up going to Jim Nantz. 

Jim Nantz was indeed picked after Lobel turned down the job at CBS, he said today that he had young kids in NH and that New York was just too far from them.

Lobel was also a key anchor in raising millions of dollars for Children's Hospital each year, and he did so by poking some fun at himself.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2008, 10:05:59 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
Is there anything more irrelevant to a sports fan than the sports segment of the local news?  Seriously, I think I make a point to watch it once a year, on Thanksgiving, for HS football highlights and results. 

I don't blame local stations for paring down their budgets by jettisoning sportscasters.  The local sportscaster is about as relevant as a buggywhip is to transportation.  Plus, even if one wanted to watch him, it is tough to have a meaningful sportscast in 90 seconds.   Local news is too busy feeding us stories about home invasions in Missouri or fires in Mizzoula to actually concentrate on the local market.

The local news formula is simple: a couple of local stories, usually with some idiot standing out in the rain at 11:04pm in front of some long-closed government building so he can say that he's "Live from the...", a national story or two, then some idiotic sensationalist bits from somewhere in the country with plenty of violence or tragedy: an inane amount of weather, with a bunch of stupid gadgets, like the Channel 17 weatherscopenowtodaycopter; then 90 seconds of sports, and finally some babble about a celeb in rehab or jail cell. 

No, thanks, I'll get my news on the internet, and my sports on ESPN and the internet.   

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 08:19:37 PM »

Offline Greeny

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
  • LETS DO IT AGAIN!
Bob was a class act.
He never said anything distasteful about anyone in or out of sports.

Bob came to Framingham State my Junior year and about 30 of us met him.
He spoke to us as well as showed us a sports blooper movie.
It was a great time and obviously a memorable one.
When do you see any sports anchors do anything in the community.

Bob had the best ovation at the Whinney awards at the Wang center out of respect for the decades of his reporting.

Think about Bob Gamere. This guy was drunken puddle. I saw him out all the time at Fathers II in Allston in the 90's even after he was stabbed.
Dont even think about a comparison.

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2008, 04:44:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
I heard Bob Lobel on Channel 4 (WBZ TV) this morning doing the marathon.  He was pretty much cutting off whatever the field reporter had to say and it was making me a little crazy, but I found it interesting to hear him there.  Is he still being kept around just for special events or what?  Anyone know?
Yup

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2008, 05:17:52 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
That's too bad. I would hope that after all these years, maybe he could just retire and enjoy life?
I have to agree  with everyone that the couple of minutes of sports on local news is totally irrelevent anyway.
As for discussion of his personal life, what a bunch of petty gossips here!
And I hope Jackie M. at least stays in the area and does TV, she's great.