Author Topic: Super off topic, off topic thread  (Read 1496480 times)

Re: Super off topic, off topic thread
« Reply #3690 on: July 06, 2020, 10:31:12 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

« Reply #3691 on: July 31, 2020, 01:44:15 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I don't know where to put this but I gotta put it somewhere.  Need to vent a little.

I tend to look at Yahoo. Their news is slanted left, but their comments section tends to be mixed. 

Calling the Yahoo comments section mixed is like saying Jefferson Davis was casually in favour of slavery.

This comment stuck out to me because I too read Yahoo.  Something about the articles and comments just does it for me, it's a combination of Roy's and petbrick's opinion though.

IMO, the articles are pretty left, but the comments are hard right, and it's hilarious to me and makes for interesting reading.  I loved reading a left leaning article only to go to the comments and see 90% of the commenters vehemently disagreeing with it.  It was the opposite of an echo chamber, and I don't know of many places where you can find that.

Sometimes I go to the comments section to mock the author/subject, sometimes I go to the comments section to look down on the commenters, but either way the comments always delivered on any hot button issue.

Anyway a week or so ago, Yahoo disabled their comments section.  Now none of the articles have comments anymore.  Totally ruins the experience and enjoyment for me.  I'm bummed.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3692 on: November 28, 2020, 11:16:58 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
https://twitter.com/i/status/1332899915035521031

Nate Robison went to Sleep

*sippin*

« Reply #3693 on: December 11, 2020, 05:36:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
Finished two final exams today (both open notes lol) and DONE FOR THE SEMESTER!!  8)

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #3694 on: January 05, 2022, 10:36:02 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Sidebar conversation from the PTDS thread.  Someone referred to PTSD as an acronym.  I always thought an acronym was an abbreviation based on the first letters of a series of words that was pronounceable on its own.  For instance SCUBA or NASA can be said as a word, but NBA or PTSD is said as that series of letters.

Is this true?  A brief google search did not confirm my thought on this.  I feel like it might be one of those things that was taught one way when I was a kid, but the definition has now blurred a bit.

On a side side note:  while googling I did find a 2017 article about the World Taekwando Federation finally relinquishing it's initials as its title, and changing to simply World Taekwando.
Yup

« Reply #3695 on: January 05, 2022, 11:58:53 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Whoa, this thread is OLD. Goes back fairly early in the Csblog era. Some of the classic posters of that day in the early pages....

« Reply #3696 on: January 05, 2022, 02:23:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Whoa, this thread is OLD. Goes back fairly early in the Csblog era. Some of the classic posters of that day in the early pages....

There are some very odd threads from back in the day!
Yup

« Reply #3697 on: December 17, 2022, 09:31:23 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Sidebar conversation from the PTDS thread.  Someone referred to PTSD as an acronym.  I always thought an acronym was an abbreviation based on the first letters of a series of words that was pronounceable on its own.  For instance SCUBA or NASA can be said as a word, but NBA or PTSD is said as that series of letters.

Is this true?  A brief google search did not confirm my thought on this.  I feel like it might be one of those things that was taught one way when I was a kid, but the definition has now blurred a bit.

On a side side note:  while googling I did find a 2017 article about the World Taekwando Federation finally relinquishing it's initials as its title, and changing to simply World Taekwando.

Huh? PTSD is an acronym that stands for post-traumatic stress disorder in the ICD-10. Acronyms are intended for efficiency purposes. They can be pronounced as a pseudo-word if it comes out right, or stating the letters if it sounds better. Celtics fans should start upsetting the establishment by pronouncing NBA as Nee-Bah instead of N-B-A.

« Reply #3698 on: December 17, 2022, 09:33:54 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
slowest day in Celtics Blog history...works perfect for this thread as the answer is unequivocally TODAY..no discussion necessary

Quoting this to figure out when this thread started lol

Edit: Wow. Right near the start of the 2008 Financial Crisis.

« Reply #3699 on: December 17, 2022, 09:36:36 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Rhode Island is neither a road nor an island, discuss.

Yeah, why is it referred to as an island? Can someone from RI enlighten us?

« Reply #3700 on: December 17, 2022, 09:44:19 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
26 of 50 states have never had a president as a native son. That includes half of New England (ME, RI, CT) and 2/3rds of the west coast (WA, OR). Yes, three of the original 13 states have never had a president as a native son (RI, CT, MD), but the newest state (HI) has one.