Author Topic: How does LA get so lucky?  (Read 8669 times)

Re: How does LA get so lucky?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 06:22:54 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
What a depressing end to this week of speculation if this is the result.  Lakers are contenders for another generation.

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
David Stern and the league own the New Orleans Hornets. If this trade goes through, This will be worse than 1985 draft rigging x100.

How so? either way they are giving up a great 6'10 sixth man and all star seven footer for a 5'11 Pg.

While I would have loved to get Chris Paul...I don't really think this trade helps the lakers that much, espically if it turns out to be bynum and odom.

Then they have what? Kobe near the end of his career, a aging gasol, and CP3...while Dallas and OKC have emerging superstars.

One of the things that's kept the lakers so good is the crazy amount of skilled big man they have. They just traded two of them, either way, for a small. you never trade small for big.

Now if they land Howard, then i reverse my stance and jump on the rigged boat  ;D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 06:24:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
the NBA is owned by Lakers fans.  it's the only explanation.

No, its all location.

I mean, if i was a superstar player who could control where i went (which lets be honest, CP3 is) and i didn't have the celtic fanatic part of my brain, would I rather play in Southern California or a cold weather city like Boston?

I'd go Cali every time.

cp3 wasn't the one who made this trade.  pau gasol didn't trade himself to the lakers, either.  the lakers get these ridiculously lopsided deals that favor them and bring them titles. 

it's like the lakers are the only team that isn't allowed to ever be awful.

You really don't think CP3 had influence over this trade?

100% chance the reason he's headed to LA is he told the lakers he would sign an extension.

thus, he controls the trade.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 06:29:44 PM »

Offline tricktak

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
doesn't anybody actually think that the Lakers want to keep Bynum. Their aquired their big superstar in Paul maybe their done because as long as Dwight Howard reaches free agency the Celtics have just as good a chance as the Lakers, they can entice Howard and Howard is buddies with Rondo and Doc too. The Lakers have always loved Bynum and have always been reluctant to give him up maybe they just want to keep Bynum, that's why he wasn't in the trade.

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 06:33:27 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
doesn't anybody actually think that the Lakers want to keep Bynum. Their aquired their big superstar in Paul maybe their done because as long as Dwight Howard reaches free agency the Celtics have just as good a chance as the Lakers, they can entice Howard and Howard is buddies with Rondo and Doc too. The Lakers have always loved Bynum and have always been reluctant to give him up maybe they just want to keep Bynum, that's why he wasn't in the trade.

the only chance we ever had at getting dwight howard to come here was to entice him with chris paul.  we lost out on chris paul, so there's no chance we get howard.  period, end of story. 

my guess is howard will go to the nets or clippers, unless the lakers convince orlando to trade him for bynum straight up, which would end the nba and perhaps the world.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 06:34:16 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63

You legitimately believe that the Celtics with Rondo and Doc have an equal chance of signing Howard in free agency as the Lakers?

The green shading on those lenses must be significant...

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 06:34:35 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good

No, its all location.

I mean, if i was a superstar player who could control where i went (which lets be honest, CP3 is) and i didn't have the celtic fanatic part of my brain, would I rather play in Southern California or a cold weather city like Boston?

I'd go Cali every time.

cp3 wasn't the one who made this trade.  pau gasol didn't trade himself to the lakers, either.  the lakers get these ridiculously lopsided deals that favor them and bring them titles. 

100% chance the reason he's headed to LA is he told the lakers he would sign an extension.

i wouldn't say he controls the trade.  were the lakers were willing to give up assets for him because they felt confident he would re-sign with them?  sure.

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 06:36:01 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Rondo = Good
SherrodbCSN A. Sherrod Blakely
#Celtics were confident they were on the verge of landing Paul. Source says they were already planning a physical for him.

Joke's on us!

- Doc Rivers

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 06:37:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is it just me or is anyone else thinking that sparks will fly when Kobe can't bring the ball up and handle the ball in the half court sets for 16 second out of every 24 because Paul will be wanting to do the same thing?

I understand this is the beginning of the Howard/Kobe/Paul Superfriends tandem out west(as opposed to the east version of Lebron/Wade/Bosh) but if the Lakers don't land Howard(I know very unlikely now) I could see Kobe and Paul clashing badly. Heck, they might anyway.

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Is it just me or is anyone else thinking that sparks will fly when Kobe can't bring the ball up and handle the ball in the half court sets for 16 second out of every 24 because Paul will be wanting to do the same thing?

I understand this is the beginning of the Howard/Kobe/Paul Superfriends tandem out west(as opposed to the east version of Lebron/Wade/Bosh) but if the Lakers don't land Howard(I know very unlikely now) I could see Kobe and Paul clashing badly. Heck, they might anyway.

I was thinking the same thing...both these guys are pretty much the same player...so does paul or Kobe learn to play off the ball?

I remember watching miami while Lebron or wade stands around while the other pounds the ball into the ground for 20seconds

could be a similar situation

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

No, its all location.

I'd go Cali every time.

i wouldn't say he controls the trade.  were the lakers were willing to give up assets for him because they felt confident he would re-sign with them?  sure.

No way in hell they give up two all star big men for a small without CP3's promise to re-up.

he controlled this trade from day one. That's the NBA man. no one gets traded without a back room handshake on an extension. at least, not a star.

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

Yeah, I think they'll struggle to complement one another too.

However, I also think they have a great amount of respect for another and will not be a disruptive influence to the team.

Diminishing returns, yes. Disruptive influence, no.

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »

Offline Carhole

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 63

Very much agree, not the absolute best landing spot as it relates to Paul's talents bring out the best in his team but when kobe is done in 3 years and they still have CP3 and D12 in late 20's they can plug in a great fit and keep right on going.

God I hate LA.

Free agency has given LA a huge advantage in long term team building and sustainable success.

Free agents want LA, NY or a tax free state

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2011, 06:42:02 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
So how official is this anyway?  As far as I know, this is all still speculation.

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2011, 06:42:08 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
not sure how this helps LA.....bynum is a bum with bad knees...artest sucks...no odom off the bench and no power forward...lakers bench is garbage