Author Topic: Turnaround of BC Football has Begun  (Read 16602 times)

Turnaround of BC Football has Begun
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
As many here in the Boston area know the BC football program has been in a steady and embarrasing decline since Matt Ryan and Coach Jagz have left the program. 

Back in November I believe, the new AD Brad Bates went out on a limb and hired somebody completely off the list of prospective candidates (according to the media) former Temple coach Steve Addazio.  I was incredibly skeptical of the hire, mostly because I had gotten my hopes up for ND's defensive coordinator to be hired as the new coach.

Addazio burst onto the scene during his opening press conference and many journalists covering the event said after hearing him speak they were so fired up they wanted to run through some brick walls, and that his energy would rub off on fans and players/recruits.  again I was skeptical but it has proven to pay dividends. 

BCInterruption, the bc SBN blog had a great take on the state of BC football today.

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston-college-football-recruiting-class-2014/2013/4/10/4206678/the-state-of-recruiting-where-are-we-after-the-wade-commitment

BC currently ranks 30th in the Rivals recruiting rankings and 27th in the 24/7 recruiting rankings.  Up from 90th last year, just under south alabama and middle tennessee state. 

BC has signed 4 recruits thus far, 3 3* recruits and one unranked who is the #1 DE out of NC so he is likely to be ranked soon.  Whats even more exciting is the way that these recruits are promoting the program and school.

Two nights ago BC signed a dual threat QB that had an offer from Nebraska and Syracuse and shortly after there was this tweet.

@BCEagles247: Darius Wade gave some credit to (now fellow) #BCEagles commit Marcus Outlow (@PrinceOutlow) for his commitment.

And Outlow isn't done. Today he tweeted out that he wants to get 3* ATH Thaddius Smith and 4* RB Johnathan Thomas to join him at BC.

Now this type of stuff is nothing new for big programs or even small programs that are good at football, but its very new for BC.  24/7 predicts BC with have 6+ commits before the end of april including a 4* receiver that is currently Darius Wades high school teamate. 

Also, I received a Direct Message from a Miami RB/WR recruit last night that runs a 4.34 40yd and he said he plans on committing when he gets his official offer in May.

Maybe I am jumping the gun here because it is still very early in the recruiting season, but BC fans have had so little to cheer for the past few years that it is very exciting to see this kind of turnaround in the program this quickly.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Turnaround of BC Football has Begun
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 01:42:01 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1687
I'm not a BC football fan, but as a fan of Tennessee I can relate to some of this.  During the offseason, there's nothing better than watching some of these incoming recruits really bust their asses selling the school and the program.  Tennessee is another program that just went through an embarrassing stretch with a p----poor coach but now has reason for optimism with their new staff.

Good luck to BC.  Sometimes the best thing that can happen to a football program is hiring one of those out-of-nowhere coaches that are happy to be there and will work their asses off to show that they deserve the shot. 

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 01:55:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Never went there but have been a huge fan of BC football since Flutie's days there. They recently have had a connection with my high school and have brought in some outstanding kids from Everett and given them a chance to play and (more importantly)get a quality BC education. Not sure if people know what Everett is like but if you can get out of Everett and get an education like that of a university the quality of Boston College, you're doing quite well.

So I stay a fan a BC football for what they have given my old home town and the kids that live there, hope. Hope of getting out and moving on and up. GO EAGLES!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 02:16:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Until they do something on the field, nothing will phase me.  I have my doubts about Addazio and the ability of this program to turnaround quickly.  A lot of damage has been done (mostly by Gene-O and the old regime) and I'm not sure what it will take to get this program more than fringe bowl eligible.  I've never been delusional about the ceiling of this program (it'll never be a football factory) but I would like to see this program battling near the top of the ACC and making a major bowl once in a blue moon rather than once every 30-40 years.  There is absolutely zero buzz about this program and its been that way for a few years now.   

They've burnt a lot of bridges with a lot of older alums and ever some younger ones.  They still have a long way to go, IMO.

-A peeved & still disgruntled BC alum
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:32:30 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:26:33 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Until they do something on the field, nothing will phase me.  I have my doubts about Addazio and the ability of this program to turnaround quickly.  A lot of damage has been done (mostly by Gene-O and the old regime) and I'm not sure what it will take to get this program more than fringe bowl eligible.  I've never been delusional about the ceiling of this program (it'll never be a football factor) but I would like to see this program battling near the top of the ACC and making a major bowl once in a blue moon rather than once every 30-40 years.  There is absolutely zero buzz about this program and its been that way for a few years now.   

They've burnt a lot of bridges with a lot of older alums and ever some younger ones.  They still have a long way to go, IMO.

-A peeved & still disgruntled BC alum

I hear ya, I was in the same boat until the recruiting season picked up.  I know there are going to be alot of promising/potential commits at the spring game on 4/20. 

Also, one real encouraging factor is the hiring of Don Brown as DC.  He was the DC at Uconn last year and coached statistically one of the better defenses in the NCAA and also uses an attacking style. 

Last year BC couldnt stop the run and finished dead last in FBS with 6 sacks.  I think Brown will make a huge difference there
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm jaded by the awful decline BC football has suffered in recent years but maybe they can turn it around.

I was a bit taken aback by the choice of Addazio for the coaching job, but I really hope he can restore some respectability.

The basketball team looks like it has some promise for the next few years.  It'd be nice if the football team gave us some hope.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Rondo, always love the BC threads.

Was initially not happy with the signing of Adazio. I wanted a coach who ran can excite an up tempo system that would entice casual football fans to watch BC. Coach A runs more of a smashmouth run first system.

However, like Rondo I was very impressed by our recruiting. We are currently up to 17th on 24/7. If we can finish in the top twenty I'm pretty sure that will rank among the best recruiting classes in BC history (pre season rankings wise).

Then today watching the draft I felt even better. After seeing a bunch of Connecticut's defenders get drafted this year it makes me feel very good about the type of defense BC will run next year.

Even if we aren't good next year, it is positive to know that the football team is headed in the right direction.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 08:18:37 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Was initially not happy with the signing of Adazio. I wanted a coach who ran can excite an up tempo system that would entice casual football fans to watch BC. Coach A runs more of a smashmouth run first system.

However, like Rondo I was very impressed by our recruiting. We are currently up to 17th on 24/7. If we can finish in the top twenty I'm pretty sure that will rank among the best recruiting classes in BC history (pre season rankings wise).

Then today watching the draft I felt even better. After seeing a bunch of Connecticut's defenders get drafted this year it makes me feel very good about the type of defense BC will run next year.

Even if we aren't good next year, it is positive to know that the football team is headed in the right direction.

Yesterday Coach Addazzio spent 6 hours on various ESPN programs, first take, mike and mike, sportcenter, and did an ACC football chat with fans. 

Granted he was mostly questioned about Tebow but it was still a great promotion for the school.  One topic he brought up that I thought was neat is that he will be taking the names of the BC football jerseys starting this year so that the team stands as one.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 09:05:13 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yesterday Coach Addazzio spent 6 hours on various ESPN programs, first take, mike and mike, sportcenter, and did an ACC football chat with fans. 

Granted he was mostly questioned about Tebow but it was still a great promotion for the school.  One topic he brought up that I thought was neat is that he will be taking the names of the BC football jerseys starting this year so that the team stands as one.

Coughlin did that back when he took over for Bicknell in the early 90s.  I like it.  If this guy does half the job that Coughlin did turning things around, I'd be happy.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 09:15:23 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Here is the link to Addazio's chat for those that are interested

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/47853/bc-eagles-steve-addazio

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 09:22:39 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think it's rather amazing the amount of success BC has considering what it's up against. The players have to be able to write their own names. They have to go to a cold school. The region is not known for football. The campus is small and crowded.  The coaches usually either get fired or leave if they're successful. But they have rocks to build on like always producing top OL prospects. Having more than their fair share of good QBs, excellent LBs, good DTs.  It's hard to think of a small top academic private school that has as much success as them. Northwestern? No. Duke? No. Wake Forest? No. Rice? No.  Vandy? No.  Tulane? No. Stanford? Yes. They have more success than a lot of large state schools with lower standards with a bigger area to recruit. Indiana. Illinois. Minnesota. Missouri. NC State (HA!), Washington St. Kansas. Syracuse. Kentucky. UNLV. Arizona St. Iowa St.   

In the mean time not to switch the subject but PSU has 3 4 star recruits and two 3 star guys. I find that amazing.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
I think it's rather amazing the amount of success BC has considering what it's up against. The players have to be able to write their own names. They have to go to a cold school. The region is not known for football. The campus is small and crowded.  The coaches usually either get fired or leave if they're successful. But they have rocks to build on like always producing top OL prospects. Having more than their fair share of good QBs, excellent LBs, good DTs.  It's hard to think of a small top academic private school that has as much success as them. Northwestern? No. Duke? No. Wake Forest? No. Rice? No.  Vandy? No.  Tulane? No. Stanford? Yes. They have more success than a lot of large state schools with lower standards with a bigger area to recruit. Indiana. Illinois. Minnesota. Missouri. NC State (HA!), Washington St. Kansas. Syracuse. Kentucky. UNLV. Arizona St. Iowa St.   

In the mean time not to switch the subject but PSU has 3 4 star recruits and two 3 star guys. I find that amazing.
I agree with everything except the campus being crowded. However you are looking at all the negatives, bc has a lot of positives too.

Of the colleges that are elite educationally and have division one football only Notre Dame and Stanford are better schools with (consistently) better football programs. Of elite catholic schools only ND is better, so that is a big draw considering the areas that have elite high school football happen to be conservative and pretty religious.

BC produces pro players at a rate higher than their record would indicate (not this year but in previous years). The last 8 superbowls had a BC player in them.

Elite players have a ton of media potential at BC. If a recruit turns on sports center and sees how much time ESPN spends on Boston sports , they realize that one elite team could get the rabid boston sport fan behind them.

FYI two of the questions in the Addazio chat were from me.

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 09:44:31 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

I agree with everything except the campus being crowded. However you are looking at all the negatives, bc has a lot of positives too.

Of the colleges that are elite educationally and have division one football only Notre Dame and Stanford are better schools with (consistently) better football programs. Of elite catholic schools only ND is better, so that is a big draw considering the areas that have elite high school football happen to be conservative and pretty religious.

BC produces pro players at a rate higher than their record would indicate (not this year but in previous years). The last 8 superbowls had a BC player in them.

Elite players have a ton of media potential at BC. If a recruit turns on sports center and sees how much time ESPN spends on Boston sports , they realize that one elite team could get the rabid boston sport fan behind them.

Which questions?

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 10:02:04 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Which questions?
The ones asked by Evan

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 10:06:24 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Which questions?
The ones asked by Evan

ha, sorry probably should have guessed