Author Topic: Bruschi 2 Retire  (Read 8826 times)

Bruschi 2 Retire
« on: August 30, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11
 Sports Sunday CSNNE.
Tedy to retire tomorrow @10:45 am. Very Very Sad day for Pats fans everyware.
CSNNE To broadcast it tomorrow.

This from herald.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/?p=3444&srvc=sports&position=recent

Re: Bruschi 2 Retire
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:05:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is absolutely terrible news...so we lose Bruschi, Harrison, and Vrabel in one off-season and our defense is supposed to sustain itself? Sure, they may all be past their prime, but leadership is definitely underrated (as we saw here with the Celtics for years)...

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 12:17:07 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
This is absolutely terrible news...so we lose Bruschi, Harrison, and Vrabel in one off-season and our defense is supposed to sustain itself? Sure, they may all be past their prime, but leadership is definitely underrated (as we saw here with the Celtics for years)...
What?

The Celtics for years lacked for talent much more than leadership. Bruschi is retiring because he was going to get cut.

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 01:04:10 AM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80

As much as Bruschi is a great story and a great leader, the guy isnt a very good football player anymore and knew his time was up. He was going to be the 3rd ILB because Guyton has looked really good and would of taken alot of playing time away from him, they also have Lenon who was a good signing. They have got plenty of leaders on defense with Seymour, Wilfork, Mayo, Jarvis Green. But like Fafnir says, he was going to be cut which would be a crap way to end a very good career, so he decided to retire and go out on his own terms.

Dude had as much heart as any player ive ever seen and worked his behind off to become what he was. I thank him for everything he has done for the team, coming back after the stroke was amazing. He was/is truly one of the good guys in sports and i wish the best for him in whatever comes next for him.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:23:12 AM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 07:25:22 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Bruschi is a real fan favorite, and a favorite of BB's.  I expect (hope) that he gets some sort of job with the Pats organization. 

From a football point of view, I dont think the Pats will be missing anything -- he was on the bubble in terms of being able to make the team this year, and if he was going to be kept on the team, it was for leadership reasons only, which he might be able to provide from the sidelines anyway...
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 07:26:35 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

The team will miss him very much.

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:46:28 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Thanks For the memories Teddy! You were never the same after the stroke but you always gave it your all. 5 Super Bowls and 3 rings (Should be 4...  :-X <-------holding back puke in cheeks the spit second before I let it go).
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 08:00:30 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

We'll see. at some point leadership can only get you so far on the field if your body just can't keep up. Coaches are leaders anyway. And besides, if "leadership" were a static tag, there'd be no leaders anymore, because they'd all be too old. It's about time for some of our other veteran defenders to step into the role. Seymour, Adaleus, etc. There's nothing that says a young guy can't step into a leadership role anyway. Mayo or Merriweather may be confident enough to accept that role as well.

In general i think "leadership" as a distinct quality is a vastly overrated simplified explanation as to a player's perceived value used by the media to create story lines that fit their angles.

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 08:01:35 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
But, more to the topic,  Bruschi was a great great patriot and will be missed.

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
As much as I love Bruschi I wonder if this is just part of a team dedicated to getting younger on defense.  This defense won us 3 superbowls and we have taken away several key parts from those teams.  The only real parts that are still there are the D-line.  I think this is the patriots realizing that as long as Bruschi is there this teams defense wont be able to come together and create an identity for themselves.  I think this also shows just how much confidence the coaches have in Mayo. 
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 08:33:01 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
As much as I love Bruschi I wonder if this is just part of a team dedicated to getting younger on defense.  This defense won us 3 superbowls and we have taken away several key parts from those teams.  The only real parts that are still there are the D-line.  I think this is the patriots realizing that as long as Bruschi is there this teams defense wont be able to come together and create an identity for themselves.  I think this also shows just how much confidence the coaches have in Mayo. 

Oh yeah, I would be shocked if this was actually Bruschi's choice.  My guess is Belichick gave him the heads up that they wouldn't be able to keep him this year, and allowed him to retire on his own terms, rather than having to cut him.

As much of a fan I am of Bruschi, I like the way the Pats are going with the defense.  I wish they had developed more young players over the last few years, but now they finally seem dedicated to it.  Hopefully it pays off, and they find a few real players (other than Mayo of course) who can step in, and make them successful.

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:38:16 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I really like what they are doing with the secondary, they have dedicated alot of draft picks to that spot over the past few years and Merriweather seemed to come into his own towards the end of last year.  Sanders has always been solid, and If Chung works out that would be great.  Then if you consider Wheatly, Wilhite, Butler and whoever else, they have dedicated alot of draft picks to the secondary in recent memory.  I am still concerned about outslide linebacker but if burgess can play it well that would be great.  Otherwise I think their d-line is the best in football. And I cant see many teams running the ball at Seymour, Wilfork, Brace, and Warren.  Also in the 4-3 it frees up Wilfork a little bit from constantly facing double teams so I would think there is going to be alot more penetration from the middle part of that line allowing Mayo a clean look at runners coming up the middle and allowing Burgess and Thomas to rush off the edge as Warren and Seymour will be in alot more one on one situations
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 09:07:45 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Regardless of who's decision it was, it was time.

Awesome player, great leader, and will go down in Pats history as one of the keys to turning things around.  Made an excellent career above and beyond what was expected of him.

Gotta love Tedy!
Yup

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 09:48:57 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Bruschi should be the founding member of the Hall of I've got multiple rings and you don't. (That hall would basically have all Patriots in it)

Tedy is so the anti-Farve

Some day when they induct Brian Urlacher Tedy can go and applaud while wearing his three rings

I'm a little surprised that he didn't try to go to Kansas City or Denver, but maybe he just didn't want to move his family and will get an NFL pension now.

Plus Bruschi has personality and whatnot. I expect to see him either on Dancing with the Stars or maybe coaching linebackers at BC or something like that.

Maybe open a pub called Bru's Brews or something

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 09:52:04 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Anybody else see him as the patriots first option during the season now instead of Junior Seau?  I can imagine Bill giving him a call if some players go down with injury.