Author Topic: Danilo Gallinari : potential target ?  (Read 4694 times)

Re: Danilo Gallinari : potential target ?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2020, 10:13:47 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Gallo will be looking for $20mil per annum.

I don't know why he is being mentioned as an MLE target.

The whole point of this thread is that according to the article Gallo may be looking to chase a championship, not get another big check. No championship contender has space to give him more than the MLE.

Doesn't Miami have a load of cap space?

I don't know about others but I presume someone is either able to (1) get below the cap to offer him more (2) configure a sign and trade to get him a bigger payday.

But hey maybe he does want to give up all that money.

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

The whole point of this thread is that according to the article Gallo may be looking to chase a championship, not get another big check. No championship contender has space to give him more than the MLE.

I don't know about others but I presume someone is either able to (1) get below the cap to offer him more (2) configure a sign and trade to get him a bigger payday.

Miami kinda' does, but they'd probably have to renounce Dragic and Crowder to do it. Does that really make them a lot better? Part of Miami's strength was their versatility. Gallinari limits their defensive versatility. But he could go there.

The other one would be the Raptors if they renounce Gasol, Van Fleet, Ibaka, and all their other free agents, they could offer someone up to 26 million. But again, is that a better team?

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Miami kinda' does, but they'd probably have to renounce Dragic and Crowder to do it. Does that really make them a lot better? Part of Miami's strength was their versatility. Gallinari limits their defensive versatility. But he could go there.

The other one would be the Raptors if they renounce Gasol, Van Fleet, Ibaka, and all their other free agents, they could offer someone up to 26 million. But again, is that a better team?

Ah okay, I see.

So there is a legit chance Gallo may end up going for the MLE then. I am genuinely shocked by that. A player as good as him available for such low money.

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2020, 10:46:25 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119

Miami is clearly a great team, but Miami without Dragic doesn’t get out of the East, IMO. They need to solve the PG position anyway as Dragic is 34 and could be done as a starting-level player at any moment. Honestly VanVleet might be great in Miami, if he could get his body fat percentage down (lol).

Toronto... Lowry, OG, Gallo, Siakam, and.. uhh.. some big? Doesn’t strike fear. Lowry is also old and has a ton of miles. Siakam is v good but unclear if he’s “the guy.” But that’s a solid roster that should compete for ECF at the most.

However, Gallo would elevate any of these teams if they don’t need to give anything up. I do think Boston stands the most to gain, either with Gallo as 6th man or starter in place of Hayward.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2020, 11:14:10 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Gallo May make a lot of sense on the sixers.
Sign and trade him for 12mil plus Shroeder $15mill
For Horford contract plus fillers to get under the cap.
Sixers may need to add other contracts plus picks to get under the luxury tax apron though. They may add 21 plus 34 plus 36 picks...
It’s doable for both sides and a typical move Elton Brand would make lol.

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2020, 11:23:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sixers may need to add other contracts plus picks to get under the luxury tax apron though. They may add 21 plus 34 plus 36 picks...

Why would OKC do it?  They’d be better off letting Gallo walk.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2020, 11:57:25 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Realistically speaking, we cannot afford Gallo. If we really like him, I only see 1 way to acquire him: dump a big contract for cap relief and then squeeze Gallo's salary under the newly created TPE.

For instance:

- Trade Kemba to the Knicks for #8 + 2021 Knicks first. No need to match salaries. The Knicks can absorb Kemba's contract via cap space. The trade would create a $34,479,100 TPE for the Celtics (Kemba's salary + $100,000).
- Use the newly created TPE + #30 to acquire Gallo via a sign and trade with the Thunder.
- Use the remaining part of the TPE + #26 to acquire Christian Wood via a sign and trade with the Pistons.
- Draft Haliburton at #8.
- Draft Saddiq Bey at #14.
- If Kanter opts in, trade him for cap relief + whatever future pick(s) we can get. If he opts out, let him walk.
- Use #47 to dump Poirier.

PG: Smart - Haliburton (#8) - Wanamaker
SG: Brown - Romeo - Edwards
SF: Hayward - S. Bey (#14) - Semi
PF: Tatum - Gallinari - G. Williams
C: Wood - Theis - Timelord

2020-2021 payroll

1. Hayward $34,187,085   
2. Brown $22,991,071
3. Gallinari let's say $15,000,000
4. Smart $13,446,428
5. Wood let's say $13,000,000
6. Tatum $9,897,120
7. Haliburton $5,123,040
8. Theis $5,000,000
9. S. Bey $3,644,040
10. Romeo $3,631,200
11. Wanamaker let's say $3,000,000 via early Bird rights
12. G. Williams $2,498,760
13. R. Williams $2,029,920
14. Semi $1,752,950
15. Edwards $1,517,981

dead salary
Yabu $1,039,080
Jackson $92,858

total $137,851,533

projected Tax Apron: $138,928,000 (we'd be hard capped at the Apron)

tl;dr
Celtics in: Gallinari + Christian Wood + #8 + Knicks 2021 first
Celtics out: Kemba + #26 + #30
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:42:57 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2020, 12:08:34 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

Why would OKC do it?  They’d be better off letting Gallo walk.
OKC need to add young talent now if they are rebuilding . Why lose Gallo and shroeder for nothing? They can also trade Horford next year while having him as veteran mentor to the young players.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2020, 12:35:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Too expensive.  He may be willing to take a pay cut but I assume that means he'll take like $10-12 million a year.  I dont' see him signing somewhere for the tax payer MLE or something.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2020, 12:44:39 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Miami is clearly a great team, but Miami without Dragic doesn’t get out of the East, IMO. They need to solve the PG position anyway as Dragic is 34 and could be done as a starting-level player at any moment. Honestly VanVleet might be great in Miami, if he could get his body fat percentage down (lol).

Toronto... Lowry, OG, Gallo, Siakam, and.. uhh.. some big? Doesn’t strike fear. Lowry is also old and has a ton of miles. Siakam is v good but unclear if he’s “the guy.” But that’s a solid roster that should compete for ECF at the most.

However, Gallo would elevate any of these teams if they don’t need to give anything up. I do think Boston stands the most to gain, either with Gallo as 6th man or starter in place of Hayward.
According to rumors, the Heat wanna go after Giannis in 2021. I guess it's more likely that they run it back for 1 year and preserve their cap space for Giannis.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 12:51:38 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2020, 02:35:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Maybe he’s just showing great sportsmanship, but...

https://twitter.com/gallinari8888/status/1315607416185196544?s=20

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2020, 07:19:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Maybe he’s just showing great sportsmanship, but...

https://twitter.com/gallinari8888/status/1315607416185196544?s=20
Don’t turn to the dark side Gallo!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2020, 08:36:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
As far as the principle that you should always get talented players and figure it out later, I'm in.

Somebody tell me how he fits on this team? Who does he guard on defense? Where does he play on offense? Just seems like he doesn't have a clear roll on this team, which would make the pitch to him pretty difficult.
if CBS wants him, you can be sure CBS has already figured out a role for him. as for his defense, if CBS can find plays where kanter's defense doesn't kill the team, he can do it for gallinari.

off the bench offense and rebounding is good.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2020, 10:36:14 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
As far as the principle that you should always get talented players and figure it out later, I'm in.

Somebody tell me how he fits on this team? Who does he guard on defense? Where does he play on offense? Just seems like he doesn't have a clear roll on this team, which would make the pitch to him pretty difficult.
if CBS wants him, you can be sure CBS has already figured out a role for him. as for his defense, if CBS can find plays where kanter's defense doesn't kill the team, he can do it for gallinari.

at this point anything off the bench is good !

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2020, 10:44:51 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

at this point anything off the bench is good !

Gallinari is not a proficient rebounder, even though he is a 6'10'' player. He's essentially a 6'10'' shooting guard, but too slow-footed to guard guards.

I'm game to get him. I think his ability to shoot and draw some fouls would be massively helpful for Celtic offensive runs and stopping opposing team runs respectively.

I just don't see the fit that well. If we are talking a 18mpg type player, why wouldn't we go after Bertans with the MLE? He has a little more versatility on defense and is a better shooter. That's a player that can play with Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Walker, and Smart without it being an awkward lineup fit-wise.