Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread  (Read 87480 times)

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« Reply #420 on: April 07, 2018, 10:56:14 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Nets 26-53 (7th) after tonight's win @ MIL. NYK and CHI have 27 wins, SAC 25.

three games left: two vs. Bulls and last game vs. C's

:)

I hope the Bulls are fully given up on the season. The Nets could go from 7th to 9th pretty quick. Seems like the worst case scenario (for us) is likely 6th.
There's also the best case scenario. Brooklyn wins their last three. NY and Chicago lose their last three and the Lakers win the 2nd pick in the lottery. That gives Celtics #2 pick and Cleveland #10

I would love it. I guess there are reasons why it might be better for the C's to wait and get the Kings pick next season (for cap reasons) but it would be worth it for the laugh I'd get out of that happening.
We get then lakers pick if it lands at 2 or 3.  That’s best case scenario.  There is not a single reason to prefer waiting on the kings pick (which in all likelihood will be worse in a worse class$ to getting the lakers pick.  No reason whatsoever.

« Reply #421 on: April 07, 2018, 11:08:45 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I see no reason BKN shouldn't win their last 3. Chicago has no desire whatsoever to beat BKN in either game and Brad should be resting pretty much everybody except Bird, Allen, Nader, Gibson, Ojeleye, and Yabusele.

The NYK win last night hurt their chances a bit, but they should pull solidly into 8th by passing Chicago and keeping ahead of Sac.

« Reply #422 on: April 07, 2018, 11:41:44 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

I hope the Bulls are fully given up on the season. The Nets could go from 7th to 9th pretty quick. Seems like the worst case scenario (for us) is likely 6th.
There's also the best case scenario. Brooklyn wins their last three. NY and Chicago lose their last three and the Lakers win the 2nd pick in the lottery. That gives Celtics #2 pick and Cleveland #10

I would love it. I guess there are reasons why it might be better for the C's to wait and get the Kings pick next season (for cap reasons) but it would be worth it for the laugh I'd get out of that happening.
We get then lakers pick if it lands at 2 or 3.  That’s best case scenario.  There is not a single reason to prefer waiting on the kings pick (which in all likelihood will be worse in a worse class$ to getting the lakers pick.  No reason whatsoever.

I like Zion Williamson. He could really be a force in transition, and I think his athleticism and his lateral quickness for his size is reminiscent of Dominique Wilkins.

That being said, I agree. Draft this year is absolutely stockpiled with talent, I would love to be able to draft Mikal Bridges. I think he's a star, a role player, and consummate teammate all in one.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #423 on: April 07, 2018, 11:55:28 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I like Zion Williamson. He could really be a force in transition, and I think his athleticism and his lateral quickness for his size is reminiscent of Dominique Wilkins.

That being said, I agree. Draft this year is absolutely stockpiled with talent, I would love to be able to draft Mikal Bridges. I think he's a star, a role player, and consummate teammate all in one.
NBAdraft.net has Mikal Bridges going to the Sixers with the 10th pick.  If I were a Sixers fan, I'd be drooling at that prospect.  He'd be a great fit for them. 

« Reply #424 on: April 07, 2018, 12:01:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Kind of sucks that we dealt the Nets pick to Cavs instead of Lakers. That was my only beef with that trade. Wish we hado top 3 protection on it.

« Reply #425 on: April 07, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Brooklyn is favored tonight with Chicago on SEGABABA.

Definitely. 6-9 sounds good. Not a bad place to be considering how awful the Nets were last year.

I see no reason BKN shouldn't win their last 3. Chicago has no desire whatsoever to beat BKN in either game and Brad should be resting pretty much everybody except Bird, Allen, Nader, Gibson, Ojeleye, and Yabusele.

The NYK win last night hurt their chances a bit, but they should pull solidly into 8th by passing Chicago and keeping ahead of Sac.

Agree about that C's starting lineup! Hoping Sean Kilpatrick doesn't go all Jerryd Bayless!

« Reply #426 on: April 07, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
How bad will the Nets tank next year? It will be their first chance at getting a top draft choice in a hundred years! I hope they don't out stink the Kings.

« Reply #427 on: April 07, 2018, 05:54:06 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
How bad will the Nets tank next year? It will be their first chance at getting a top draft choice in a hundred years! I hope they don't out stink the Kings.
Won’t matter as much next year with equal odds for bottom 3 teams and selecting the first 5 slots.

« Reply #428 on: April 07, 2018, 06:16:31 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Won’t matter as much next year with equal odds for bottom 3 teams and selecting the first 5 slots.
They're selecting the 1st 4 slots not 5.  I don't think the changes will affect tanking that much.  Finishing worst guarantees a top 5 pick.  Finish 3rd worst and you could drop to 7th. 

« Reply #429 on: April 07, 2018, 08:58:20 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Nets up 10 pts. 1:55 until halftime

« Reply #430 on: April 07, 2018, 09:17:00 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

You cannot say with any certainty that the upcoming draft class will be better than the 2019 draft class.  Heck, we don't even know yet if the 2019 draft class will contain players straight from high school or not.  Adam Silver wants that rule changed back to how it was before, and so do the players.

Also, there's a few scenarios where the Lakers pick conveying this summer could put the team in a financial bind, seeing as how the team is going to be flirting with the luxury tax.  Boston is already more or less guaranteed to be over the tax line in the upcoming years, so the ability to stay under the tax this summer is going to be important.  It might mean the difference between being able to keep, or having to let go of, any one of Smart, Baynes, or Monroe.

What if the Lakers pick is #5 this year, but the Kings pick ends up #2 next year? 

There are definitely scenarios where it may be better for the pick to be pushed back to next year.

« Reply #431 on: April 07, 2018, 09:41:14 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Watch Cavs fans panic as the game goes on: http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/welcome-2018-brooklyn-nets-1st-round-pick.48261/page-718

All I wanted was top 6 or 7 which was in the works literally until tonight...now it's going to be 8th or 9th. SMH. Those 2-3 spots could prove costly ....whether we use the pick or trade it.

BTW, even if we trade it, the trade can't be consummated until August like the Wiggins trade unless we acquire another first round pick and are allowed to trade the Nets pick. So it's gonna be a long summer...

« Reply #432 on: April 07, 2018, 09:55:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Watch Cavs fans panic as the game goes on: http://realcavsfans.com/community/index.php?threads/welcome-2018-brooklyn-nets-1st-round-pick.48261/page-718

All I wanted was top 6 or 7 which was in the works literally until tonight...now it's going to be 8th or 9th. SMH. Those 2-3 spots could prove costly ....whether we use the pick or trade it.

BTW, even if we trade it, the trade can't be consummated until August like the Wiggins trade unless we acquire another first round pick and are allowed to trade the Nets pick. So it's gonna be a long summer...

TP for the update! There's nothing better than the agony of a Cavs fan (other than a Lakers fan!  ;D ). A couple of weeks ago there were a number of people around here who were pretty sour that the pick would end up around #5. I - along with others - assured them that the Nets had a pretty easy remaining schedule and no reason whatsoever to tank. It is great to see things come to fruition. I was assuming they would end up around 7th or 8th, but 9th would be amazing!

« Reply #433 on: April 07, 2018, 09:58:05 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

TP for the update! There's nothing better than the agony of a Cavs fan (other than a Lakers fan!  ;D ). A couple of weeks ago there were a number of people around here who were pretty sour that the pick would end up around #5. I - along with others - assured them that the Nets had a pretty easy remaining schedule and no reason whatsoever to tank. It is great to see things come to fruition. I was assuming they would end up around 7th or 8th, but 9th would be amazing!

The best part will be when we rest all of our main guys on Wednesday against Brooklyn and essentially help them get to the 9 spot, irking every Cavs fan to the bone!  ;D

« Reply #434 on: April 07, 2018, 10:12:16 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Final: Nets 124, Bulls 96

Nets tied with Bulls now at 27-53...rematch Monday @ BKN!!