Author Topic: Rockets (21-15) at Celtics (29-7) 1/7  (Read 61426 times)

Rockets (21-15) at Celtics (29-7) 1/7
« on: January 06, 2009, 11:00:04 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 

Houston Rockets (21-15)  at  Boston Celtics (29-7)
Wednesday January 7
7:30 PM ET
Game #37,  Home Game #20
TV:   FSN Hou, CSN HD,   NBA LP 754
Radio:  WEEI
TD Banknorth Garden

Throughout sports there are many classic arenas and stadiums that are replaced by new modern sports facilities. TD Banknorth Garden is included in this as it replaced one of the most classic arenas in all of sports, the Boston Garden. For nearly 50 years the Celtics played here winning 16 NBA Championships. The Boston Garden had many design flaws that made it unique and different from other arenas in the NBA such as obstructed seating. In the early 1990s, both tenants of the Boston Gardens, the Celtics and the Bruins (NHL) wanted a new modern facility to play at. Construction on a new $160 million arena began in May 1993 and was paid using city bonds.  Originally known as the FleetCenter,  the first game was played in this arena on November 3, 1995.   The arena was renamed the TD BankNorth Garden after TD BankNorth agreed to a 20 year contract through 2025.

Probable Starting Matchups

Point Guard
  vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Raefer Alston

Shooting Guard
   vs 
Ray Allen vs Luther Head

Small Forward
  vs 
Paul Pierce vs Tracy McGrady

Power Forward
  vs 
Kevin Garnett vs Louis Scola 

Center

vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Yao Ming 

Bench  
Leon Powe
Glen Davis
Eddie House
Gabe Pruitt
Brian Scalabrine
Sam Cassell
Patrick O'Bryant   

Injured
Kevin Garnett (leg)  will play
Tony Allen (ankle) questionable

D League
Bill Walker
JR Giddens

Bench
Aaron Brooks
Chuck Hayes
Carl Landry
Vaughn Wafer
Brent Barry
Shane Battier
Ron Artest
Dikembe Mutombo

Injured

Shane Battier (foot)  questionable
Ron Artest  (ankle) questionable
Tracy McGracy (knee)  will play

D-League
Joey Dorsey

Key Matchups
  vs 
Paul Pierce vs Tracy McGrady     
McGrady is still battling a sore knee but has been playing through it.  Paul Pierce is the one starter for the Celtics who has continued to bring it night in and night out.  This should be a good matchup for the Celtics. 

vs   
Rajon Rondo vs Rafer Alston
As we have seen many times, as Rondo goes, so goes the Celtics.  When Rondo becomes tentative and settles for jumpers, the Celtics play poorly but when he is aggressive and goes to the hoop and finds the open man, the Celtics are hard to beat.  Let's hope Rondo comes to play in this one.  He is coming off a 9 turnover game against the Bobcats and so it seems he has to play better than that. 

Honorable Mention
Kendrick Perkins vs Yao Ming
While no one has the height to match up with Yao,  Perk has proved he has the strength to hold him off and bother his shots.  Yao is healthy and is a handful for opposing centers to guard but   Perk  can keep him from dominating inside if he is playing his typical defense. 

Game Notes
The Celtics lead the all time series between these two teams 84-39.  The Celtics swept the series last season for the first time since 1990-91.   The most notable win came in Houston where the Celtics ended Houston's 22 game win streak.  The Celtics won the first matchup this season in Houston 103-99. 

These teams have played very physical and heated games against each other this season.  They seem to have taken on the personna of Ron Artest with cheap shots and physical play and the Celtics have been happy to play them physical in return which has lead to short tempers.   

Keys to the Game:  
Defense:  The Rockets are 14-0 this season when scoring 100 or more points.  The Celtics need to find their defensive intensity which they seem to have lost recently.  The Celtics need to defend the paint and keep Yao and Scola from dominating inside, but they also need to defend beyond the arc as the Rockets are a very good perimeter shooting team. They have made 10 or more 3 pointers in a game 9 times already this season.    Defense wins games and the Celtics have been getting away from the tough team defense that has made them such a good team this far.

Focus  When teams play the Celtics tough, they seem to lose their focus.  The Rockets are a good defensive team, ranking 7th in the league in points allowed and the Celtics will need to keep their focus and not allow Houston's defense to take them out of their game. 

Crash the Boards  With Yao Ming and Louis Scola inside, the Rockets are a good rebounding team and rank 6th in the league in rebounds per game.     In the first meeting between these two teams, the Rockets out-rebounded the Celtics on the offensive glass and were able to get second chance points off those rebounds to keep the game close.  The Celtics need to show the effort and desire it takes to crash the glass and grab the rebounds which is something they haven't been doing recently. 

Limit Turnovers  The Celtics are still last in the league in turnovers and have to concentrate on fixing that problem.   Teams like the Rockets can take advantage of those turnovers and so the Celtics must take better care of the ball.   

X-Factor
Fatigue and Bench Play
The Celtics have admitted to being tired lately.  Having the starters play between 40 and 50 minutes in a loss the night before definitely has to take something out of them.  The win streak and minor injuries have taken a lot out of them.  Both teams are playing in the second of back to back games on the road and both are coming off a loss.  The Rockets are on an extended road trip while the Celtics will be playing a home game in the middle of 2 road games.   With starters from both teams tired, it may come down to which bench plays better. 

Re: Rockets (21-15) at Celtics (29-7) 1/7
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Nice work again FLC TP.

About this game, I don't know what to expect. I don't know if the guys are unmotivated, hurt, or tired. Lets just hope the guys defend the home court since they don't look to pretty on the road.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:22:20 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I'm begging you boys, dig deep and put out the effort were all used to.

I don't care if you lose this game (ok not totally true) but just please, give me championship effort.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 03:26:57 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Don't worry folks.  I'll be up there in my usual perch tonight and make everything better.  ;)

Real Celtics show up tonight.  Big W.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 03:41:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Agree with Dons. Huge win tonight for the C's.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 04:06:17 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
TP Fl

My 2 cents will be

Play Pruitt.......
Play POB.........

until we get some quality vets theyre all we have for what we desperatly need.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 04:20:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think we got these next two games.  We're due.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 05:05:27 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think they win tonight...they are too good to not play inspired at home

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
No artest and probably no Cartlon Banks Shane Battier..we won't be getting their a game but they will be getting ours.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 05:33:23 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
One in a row, here we go!

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 05:37:29 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
im confident going into this game, mainly bc it is a home game and we play more efficiently at home.  now friday......im not looking forward to

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 656
  • MASTER OF PANIC
im confident going into this game, mainly bc it is a home game and we play more efficiently at home.  now friday......im not looking forward to

gotta agree with you..the schedule this week is not kind......

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Haven't TPed FL in awhile... Nice work as usual sunshine state.

I'm begging you boys, dig deep and put out the effort were all used to.

I don't care if you lose this game (ok not totally true) but just please, give me championship effort.

I'm liking this quote a lot... In any sport when a team gets into a funk like this, the first thing that HAS to come back is the intensity. Happens to plenty of teams, but that's always the thing that comes first. Getting the win would be GREAT of course, but the effort is absolutely essential moving forward.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 07:26:53 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'm ready!!!

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 07:38:53 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Doc you have a backup pg and length on the bench. You just choose not to play them. :P
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird