Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 26184 times)

Patriots Off-Season News
« on: March 10, 2024, 11:06:01 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
Hope they have a backup plan…

Trent Brown has spent the last three seasons with the Patriots. According to Brown, 2023 was likely the end of his most recent tenure.

The veteran NFL tackle is set to become a free agent next week. Brown said he doesn’t anticipate re-signing in New England.
“I think we’re both looking in different directions,” Brown told SiriusXM NFL Radio’s Zig Fracassi on Saturday (h/t ESPN’s Mike Reiss).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 11:16:08 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 11:22:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Mac Jones to the Jaguars for a 6th (?).  Deal still being finalized.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 11:28:37 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Wow bad for Jones cause he’s not gotta start with Laurence there
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 11:30:22 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Wow bad for Jones cause he’s not gotta start with Laurence there

Yeah, strange trade. How does this make sense for the Jags? Also, Pats better not miss with the QB they take at #3.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 11:31:23 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

I don’t understand the rush to do this if all they’re getting back is a 6th rounder.  I don’t want him anywhere near the QB room if we take a QB at #3, but there’s still so much time between now and the draft, let alone training camp

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 11:52:41 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I don’t understand the rush to do this if all they’re getting back is a 6th rounder.  I don’t want him anywhere near the QB room if we take a QB at #3, but there’s still so much time between now and the draft, let alone training camp

I agree - a 6th round pick kind-of sucks. I know Mac isn't amazing, but thought they'd do better than that for a young, former mid-1st rounder who actually made a Pro-Bowl.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 12:03:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't get it for either team, really.

The trade market for QBs is really quiet right now.  Teams are waiting on free agency.  So, if they'd waited, the Pats might have done slightly better.  Or, they could have kept him as a placeholder.

For the Jags, he seems like a fairly expensive and unreliable backup.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2024, 12:05:33 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

The trade market for QBs is really quiet right now.  Teams are waiting on free agency.  So, if they'd waited, the Pats might have done slightly better.  Or, they could have kept him as a placeholder.

Think it was best for a clean slate for all sides. Just get him off the roster and move forward.

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 12:30:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Probably a good move for all parties. I'm not one of those guys who thinks Mac was truly hot garbage, I thought he got done dirty by Belichick (both as coach + GM) and the coaching staff and it contributed to his collapse. Patricia/Judge, having Parker as their #1 despite literally being ranked DEAD LAST in separation for four straight years in a row, etc. Not just Mac, a lot of guys on our offense regressed after 2021 while some who left are thriving on other teams.

I think his best bet is to backup in JAX, reset and then maybe hope for a Geno Smith/Baker Mayfield type resurgence somewhere. I think he can still carve out a career in the NFL
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 12:30:11 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487

Think it was best for a clean slate for all sides. Just get him off the roster and move forward.

A good chunk of Patriots fans literally hate Mac Jones and have scapegoated him for Bill Belichick's failures and subsequent firing.

I wish the kid had shown more resilience in the face of the considerable adversity he faced. But he didn't deserve the vitriol he has received.

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2024, 12:44:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Looking forward to the oral history of what the heck went down with Mac after the 2021 season. 

Accountability on both sides here but its tough to recall a QB that fell off a cliff like that that didn't involve injuries or off the field issues.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 12:45:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
On another note, reports from Fowler on ESPN seem to indicate the Pats are "all-in" in their pursuit for Ridley. Please make it happen. And keep Bourne. Ridley, Douglas and Bourne as the Top-3 with Henry as the alpha TE is really good, and much better than anything we've had really since 2017/2018. Of course, QB and O-Line are huge needs too but I expect them to address most of that in the Draft.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2024, 12:51:22 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

A good chunk of Patriots fans literally hate Mac Jones and have scapegoated him for Bill Belichick's failures and subsequent firing.

I wish the kid had shown more resilience in the face of the considerable adversity he faced. But he didn't deserve the vitriol he has received.

Yes, you are right, but the Patriots hadn't selected a qb as high as Mac Jones since Drew Bledsoe over thirty years ago. After dominating at Alabama and a decent rookie year, many continued to have high expectations. High hopes plus the last two years created a situation where both sides are better off going in a different direction. I hope he gets an opportunity to play a little in Jacksonville to get his career back on track.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 01:27:56 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2024, 02:49:20 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Completely agree. It’s not like Zappe did any better when he played. Bill’s system failed them. I think Mac will make it on another team that has at least an average offensive line, a few weapons, and maybe the same OC for consecutive years.

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 03:21:37 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
On another note, reports from Fowler on ESPN seem to indicate the Pats are "all-in" in their pursuit for Ridley. Please make it happen. And keep Bourne. Ridley, Douglas and Bourne as the Top-3 with Henry as the alpha TE is really good, and much better than anything we've had really since 2017/2018. Of course, QB and O-Line are huge needs too but I expect them to address most of that in the Draft.
doesn't make sense to me. Team isn't going to be any good and is better off using cap space on potential long term pieces, not older WR that aren't difference makers.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip