Author Topic: Irving has missed 9 games and won't play vs the 76ers - injury prone?  (Read 3584 times)

Re: Irving has missed 9 games and won't play vs the 76ers - injury prone?
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 09:28:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Of course he's injury prone.  He missed the Cavs finals with a knee injury.  He missed last year's playoff run.  He's topped 72 games in his 8 year NBA career once.  Yes, he is injury prone.

That's why I wouldn't put all my eggs in a Kryie / AD basket.  AD is big-time injury prone as well.

He missed most of the Cavs Finals in 2015.

Kyrie was in the Finals in 2016 when he hit that game wining 3-pointer over Steph Curry in Game 7.
That's a game winning shot in a Game 7!

Who was in the 2017 Finals?
Kyrie, right?

If you want an example of injury prone, it's Derrick Rose, not Kyrie Irving.
Those aren't mutually exclusive, i.e. both Rose and Irving can be injury prone.  In fact, they are.  Rose has missed about 1 in 3 regular season games (he missed a whole season greatly skewing those numbers).  Irving has missed about 1 in 5 regular season games.  Not as many as Rose, but still far more than a player typically should, and it isn't because Irving had 1 injury and then missed a bunch of games.  He consistently and regularly misses regular season games in every single season of his career.  Irving has also missed an entire post season and a large portion of another post season or has missed approximately 1 in 3 post season games available to him.

Irving is injury prone.  There really isn't any way around that.  The wear on those knees is only going to get worse.

Irving is not injury-prone. There is a way around that. The wear on his knees aren't necessarily going to get worse.

Most stars sit for portions of the season. Most of the games Irving has missed this year have been fake injuries to prevent his minutes from adding up before the playoffs.

Irving may be injured more than some players, but "injury-prone" carries a lot of connotations that aren't necessarily true.
4 years ago, people were making pictures with all his injuries on it

like the one here: https://www.thinglink.com/scene/659141394132107265

Some of them are a bit silly like his back tightness where he missed a game, but there are a lot of different multiple week injuries, and that was 4 years ago.  He has since added a few more. 

It just seems strange to me to say a guy that misses approximately 20% of his games over an 8 year career as a result of several different injuries isn't injury prone.  Kyrie Irving is absolutely injury prone and it should absolutely be a concern with giving him 5 years, 180 million dollars.

Kyrie Irving is absolutely not injury-prone. Injury-prone carries negative connotations that aren't true of Irving.
But what isn't true.  He has missed approximately 1 in 5 regular season games in his career.  He missed those games spread out throughout those 8 seasons, and he has missed those games as a result of several different injuries to several different body parts.  I just don't see how that doesn't imply he is injury prone, especially when you consider of his 4 possible post seasons, he missed 1 entirely and several games for two different injuries in another (and has missed approximately 1 in 3 of the post season games his teams have played).

If this was any other player on any other team there is no question he would be considered injury prone on this board.  Heck the Cavs fans boards were posing these exact same questions 3 years ago before Irving had another surgery and missed an entire post-season.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Of course he's injury prone.  He missed the Cavs finals with a knee injury.  He missed last year's playoff run.  He's topped 72 games in his 8 year NBA career once.  Yes, he is injury prone.

That's why I wouldn't put all my eggs in a Kryie / AD basket.  AD is big-time injury prone as well.

Kyrie was in the Finals in 2016 when he hit that game wining 3-pointer over Steph Curry in Game 7.

Kyrie, right?

Those aren't mutually exclusive, i.e. both Rose and Irving can be injury prone.  In fact, they are.  Rose has missed about 1 in 3 regular season games (he missed a whole season greatly skewing those numbers).  Irving has missed about 1 in 5 regular season games.  Not as many as Rose, but still far more than a player typically should, and it isn't because Irving had 1 injury and then missed a bunch of games.  He consistently and regularly misses regular season games in every single season of his career.  Irving has also missed an entire post season and a large portion of another post season or has missed approximately 1 in 3 post season games available to him.

Irving is injury prone.  There really isn't any way around that.  The wear on those knees is only going to get worse.

Irving is not injury-prone. There is a way around that. The wear on his knees aren't necessarily going to get worse.

Most stars sit for portions of the season. Most of the games Irving has missed this year have been fake injuries to prevent his minutes from adding up before the playoffs.

Irving may be injured more than some players, but "injury-prone" carries a lot of connotations that aren't necessarily true.

Some of them are a bit silly like his back tightness where he missed a game, but there are a lot of different multiple week injuries, and that was 4 years ago.  He has since added a few more. 

It just seems strange to me to say a guy that misses approximately 20% of his games over an 8 year career as a result of several different injuries isn't injury prone.  Kyrie Irving is absolutely injury prone and it should absolutely be a concern with giving him 5 years, 180 million dollars.

I think it is kind of a concern with just about all players though right? Jimmy Butler has been showing signs of getting beat up the last few seasons. Leonard obviously had a major issues last year and is still having his time managed year to year. Davis has obviously missed a lot of time with injuries.

Outside of a few freaks like Lebron this is a concern for just about all players the Celtics could conceivably add this offseason.
Butler and Davis have real injury concerns, and Leonard to a lesser extent.  They, like Irving, have missed a lot of games and for a lot of different ailments throughout their careers.  These things aren't mutually exclusive. 

That said, I'm particularly worried about Irving's knee, especially considering his seemingly fragile body to begin with.  Being in the Cleveland area the last 5 years, I've heard a lot about the Cavs, and Irving and his health was a constant topic of discussion when he was here.  Many Cavs fans were actually relieved he was traded so they wouldn't have to pay him 180 million dollars to play part-time and not be good enough to make up for when he was playing.  These are many of the concerns, I've expressed almost since the day the trade was made.  Irving's health and overall ability should give any team caution with paying him 38 million dollars a year for the next 5 years. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 09:56:29 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79

Kyrie, right?

Kyrie Irving is absolutely not injury-prone. Injury-prone carries negative connotations that aren't true of Irving.

We're not even talking about the "negative connotations" we just merely state the facts that he MISSES games.

And when he misses games he isn't playing up to his massive contract.