Author Topic: Time for Ainge to Retire?  (Read 5196 times)

Time for Ainge to Retire?
« on: June 19, 2019, 09:23:20 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
We have gone from championship aspirations to hoping we sign...Russell? We have won nothing in over a decade. Kyrie and Al are history, and AD never wanted to come here for some reason.

With Ainge’s health issues, it may be time for him to retire so we can rebuild with a fresh approach? Thoughts?

Re: Time for Ainge to Retire?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 09:24:37 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I mean, even if that happened, it’s likely Mike Zarren would take over and he is basically an Ainge clone. So it would be business as usual imo.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:26:15 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I mean, even if that happened, it’s likely Mike Zarren would take over and he is basically an Ainge clone. So it would be business as usual imo.

Yeah. Celts gonna keep doing things the way they have.  Asset accumulation until a big target becomes available then hope you can trade for a guy who wants to play in LA.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 09:28:33 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
The hot takez are really flying now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 09:30:32 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Ainge is the best in the business.

There is nobody I trust more to lead this forward.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 09:31:43 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am really hoping Ainge has some sort of surprise that gets this thing back on track. A trade, a move up in the draft, something.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 09:34:53 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
What amount of cap space do we have now when Kyrie and Al leave us? Is there maybe another target (which probably wants to be a Laker) that Danny wants as a part of plan B?

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 09:39:23 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Quick Kyrie is gone, lets move onto Ainge now...after that lets make sure Tatum and Brown don't want to resign here cause it will all surely be there fault too when we don't win the title next year with no proven superstar and closer to hit shots at the end of big games. Come on now, a 21 year old and 22 year old should be ready to carry our team to titles..right?  If only we could chase all of our players and management away so we can go back to the days of M.L Carr, Pitino and the 90's.

Lets all blame Ainge for Davis wanting to go to California over Boston and live somewhere more suitable for someone in their 20's. Lets Blame Ainge for trading out of that first position a few years back and taking Tatum instead of whats his name. Maybe it was Ainge's fault he did that horrible trade with the Nets as well. How could he trade away icons for those worthless top 3 picks. How dare Ainge trade for IT and then Kyrie....complete incompetence. Rondo late in the first...horrible....what was he thinking? How could Ainge not want to give away 100M to Horford now when we have little chance of making a title run in the next few years. He should surely handicap our cap situation to an aging really good player just because being in the middle of the pack is such a joyful experience.

If all NBA teams had a GM like Ainge, this league would be super competitive from top to bottom. When I think of a super intelligent person to put in charge of a franchise, he is surely at the top of the list. I hope Danny stays as long as he wants to.

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 09:41:28 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

The 2013 “fleecing” of the Nets six years ago ultimately produced Tatum and Brown, who have zero all-star appearances between each other. We finished with about half a dozen wins more than the Nets last year. Our two best players are jumping ship. The way things are shaping up, the Nets may be much better than us next season.

How can Ainge be the best in the business with one championship, over a decade ago, yet he missed on Kawhi last season? How can he be the best in the business yet we are stuck with another year of four hum-ho draft picks rather than a consolidation (the last time this happened, we ended up with Rozier and nothing else, so why will this time be any different)?

If anything, we may be missing out on great players and great trades because people no longer want to do business with Ainge after the IT trade...

I say it’s time to move on and go with Zarren, who does not have the baggage...

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 09:50:47 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Ainge hasn't had the best 12 months of his career but anyone second guessing the Hayward signing is practicing revisionist history.  Everyone was pumped when he signed here.  Kyrie didn't work out but keeping IT wouldn't have worked out either. 

And for everyone pointing at Kawhai and Toronto - if Durant and Thompson don't get hurt, Toronto doesn't beat GS.

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 09:58:35 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

The 2013 “fleecing” of the Nets six years ago ultimately produced Tatum and Brown, who have zero all-star appearances between each other. We finished with about half a dozen wins more than the Nets last year. Our two best players are jumping ship. The way things are shaping up, the Nets may be much better than us next season.

How can Ainge be the best in the business with one championship, over a decade ago, yet he missed on Kawhi last season? How can he be the best in the business yet we are stuck with another year of four hum-ho draft picks rather than a consolidation (the last time this happened, we ended up with Rozier and nothing else, so why will this time be any different)?

If anything, we may be missing out on great players and great trades because people no longer want to do business with Ainge after the IT trade...

I say it’s time to move on and go with Zarren, who does not have the baggage...

Irving going back home to play is not Ainge’s fault.  That IT trade as hurtful as it was at the time was the right move to make.  Not signing Horford for a 100 mil over 4 years at age 33 is probably the right move. Not paying a kings ransom for a probable 1 year rental of Davis was probably the right move.  The Leonard situation was murky last year as he missed practically the whole previous season.  The Spurs still wanted to be competitive, and the trade with the Raptors was a good fit for them instead of rebuilding pieces we had to offer.

Tatum and Brown are barely drinking age so I wouldn’t have expected an all star appearance already. Still have the Grizz pick, Hayward’s possible resurgence, tons of cap space to work with.

Who is right.  Nobody I trust more than Ainge to lead us through this.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Can't blame Ainge for the fact the idiotic players would rather play for the most dysfunctional franchise in the NBA.

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 10:28:00 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I would say let him fix this situation and see where we are by mid-season. I do think Danny is the guy that can fix it as opposed to some other GMs. The other GM that I might have wanyted is now in New Orleans.

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 10:31:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ainge certainly isn't above criticism but a lot of what has happened couldn't have been foreseen but its been one bad stroke of bad luck after another beyond his control going back to the night Hayward snapped his leg in CLE. 

I'm just glad he didn't pull the trigger on the AD trade.  At least that non-decision leaves this organization a puncher's chance in the near future & to try the Plan B of youth movement.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 10:36:04 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I blame Ainge for not fixing the locker room/bench issue during the season. 

But I cannot think of a person I rather run the rebuild.