Author Topic: Boston/Portland/Toronto Trade  (Read 903 times)

Boston/Portland/Toronto Trade
« on: July 08, 2023, 11:48:00 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 746
Portland sends Damian Lillard to Toronto
Toronto sends Pascal Siakam to Boston
Boston sends Brogdon & Timelord to Portland
Boston & Toronto send a bunch of picks to Portland

There might need to be some more salary maneuvering to make it work but I think it makes sense for all 3 teams. Portland can load up on picks from two teams, Toronto can get its lead guard and unclog its forward situation, Boston consolidates talent.

It leaves Boston thin on depth but they'd have a monster starting lineup of White/Brown/Tatum/Siakam/Porzingis. The minutes could be staggered so the Celtics always have at least two 20 PPG scorers on the floor at all times.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Boston/Portland/Toronto Trade
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2023, 11:52:41 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
So post trade Toront would be:

G: D Lillard, D Schroder
G: G Trent Jr, G Dick
F: S Barnes, Jalen McDaniels
F: Anunoby, O Porter, Thad Young, C Boucher
C: J Poeltl, P Achiuwa

Is that team a title contender?

A lot would depend on whether Scottie Barnes can have a breakthrough season or not. If he cannot, this team feels a lot like Portland's better teams with Lillard. With Aminu & Harkless at forward. Two athletic defensive forwards to help hide the weak defensive backcourt. Gary Trent Jr played with Lillard in POR although they had CJ McCollum as well. Nurkic similar to Poeltl. 

Then again, if S Barnes does breakout, that team could be a title contender.

If I am Dame Lillard, I feel better and more confident about the Brooklyn Nets than I do the Raptors. Mikal Bridges has already had a bit of a breakout campaign (unlike S Barnes). Cam Johnson is a solid guy. Good depth. I would be nervous about Toronto. Personally, I wouldn't go there. I don't trust S Barnes.

Continuing on with that idea, if I am Dame, I'd actually prefer to see S Barnes trade for me rather than Siakam. I would want to play with Siakam more than I want to play with S Barnes. I want the proven vet. Not a youngster still earning his stripes. I am in win-now mode.

G: D Lillard, D Schroder
G: G Trent Jr, G Dick
F: Anunoby, Jalen McDaniels
F: P Siakam, O Porter, Thad Young, C Boucher
C: J Poeltl, P Achiuwa

That is a team I feel more confident in. I have a legit co-star in Siakam. I have talented 3rd and 4th best players in Anunoby and Trent Jr. I have a solid center. There is some depth to work with. A solid backup PG. A bunch of forwards.

That team could be a title contender. If I am Lillard, I am content with that.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 11:57:57 AM by Who »

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2023, 11:57:47 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
Portland sends Damian Lillard to Toronto
Toronto sends Pascal Siakam to Boston
Boston sends Brogdon & Timelord to Portland
Boston & Toronto send a bunch of picks to Portland

There might need to be some more salary maneuvering to make it work but I think it makes sense for all 3 teams. Portland can load up on picks from two teams, Toronto can get its lead guard and unclog its forward situation, Boston consolidates talent.

It leaves Boston thin on depth but they'd have a monster starting lineup of White/Brown/Tatum/Siakam/Porzingis. The minutes could be staggered so the Celtics always have at least two 20 PPG scorers on the floor at all times.

Portland has reported that they want 2 players and 4 picks for Lillard.  Brogdon and RWill are two players.  They would probably flip Brogdon but so far so good.  But there would need to be picks added, probably 1 or 2 firsts from Boston.  So are you really willing to give up Brogdon + RWill + 1 or 2 firsts for Siakam?  I certainly am not.

And I don't think there is any chance that Lillard would go to TOR or that TOR would be a team really all that interested.  If they could get Lillard for Siakam and picks, it seems like a good trade but bringing in an older vet does not seem to be the direction they are headed.

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2023, 12:25:40 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 299
I don't think it's possible to be more anti-Miami than Toronto. Make this trade happen now.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 12:34:11 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I don't want to give up on Timelord just yet
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird