Author Topic: Thoughts of 1st preseason game  (Read 2363 times)

Thoughts of 1st preseason game
« on: September 29, 2018, 07:26:25 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Hayward:shots are rusty like last year preseason but there is no concern, glad he made a 3

Irving:Can see him trying to get guys involved, passed out alot shots when he is buring hot

AL:Rock solid after a quick opening mistakes

Rozier:pls practice your lob and get consist at those open set 3s

Baynes:Nothing to be complained, looking forward for him to take and make those 3, also his picks will be a plenty contributor on offense with those shooters

Theis:can see him still needs time to get back, explosion isn't there

Yabu:He should focus on the bully ball and post up moves as his main calling card, because he has no chance against quick 1.2.3s on perimeter with that body

Semi:Fix your shot or you won't get much time

Wannamaker:active but not a PG i'm looking for.. that offensive foul when Rob is there to lob..

Re: Thoughts of 1st preseason game
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 07:45:50 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I am the only one who  noted his rebounds?  He had eight boards.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 07:54:55 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 07:51:04 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

I am the only one who  noted his rebounds?
It's good but it won't be enough if he keeps shooting like that

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 07:54:05 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
My most pleasant surprise was how big Williams looked.  There were a couple photos of him standing next to Ainge where he looked undersized.  But he looked plenty big in both height and bulk.   And he was as advertised in running the floor, rolling to the rim, and rim protection.

Semi was my biggest disappointment.  His shot is messed up.  He wasn't just missing, he was missing badly... left, right, long, short.  His form looked messed up to me which I don't remember from last year.  Didn't he work with Drew Hanlen this summer?  I'm afraid his shot only got messed up.

Brown was assertive which was great.  Irving looked himself as did the other rotation guys from last year.  Hayward was rusty, but he looked comfortable.  Brown was assertive which was great to see.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 07:58:57 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
My most pleasant surprise was how big Williams looked.  There were a couple photos of him standing next to Ainge where he looked undersized.  But he looked plenty big in both height and bulk.   And he was as advertised in running the floor, rolling to the rim, and rim protection.

Semi was my biggest disappointment.  His shot is messed up.  He wasn't just missing, he was missing badly... left, right, long, short.  His form looked messed up to me which I don't remember from last year.  Didn't he work with Drew Hanlen this summer?  I'm afraid his shot only got messed up.

Brown was assertive which was great.  Irving looked himself as did the other rotation guys from last year.  Hayward was rusty, but he looked comfortable.  Brown was assertive which was great to see.
This is exactly my thoughts as well, those bad misses bring a lot of concern even in preseason, my only hope is he claimed his shots is amazing at media day which should mean he can make it in practice, i am hoping he follows Smart's path to eventually figure it out before playoffs

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 08:20:30 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
It is preseason.  I don’t expect Yabu, Semi and Wanamaker getting minutes in the regular season; unless is garbage time.

Semi needs to stop with the weights.  It disrupts his shooting

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 09:37:29 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

good points. i would add that his defense from last season was very good as well.

so, very good defense along with rebounding, but marred by crappy shooting? his ceiling would seem to be the 8th man in the rotation.

now, if he can learn to shoot three pointers the way he did in college (41.5%) then the celtics have something.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 09:38:29 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Liked the way Lemon and Williams played. Lemon goes to the hoop with a lot of confidence. He also draws attention when he does so. Not sure how he'll hold up defensively. Surprised at William's form at the line. He looked like a natural shooter. His defense and rebounding will be a plus. 

The team looked pretty good early, then went to sleep. 

Overall, I'm not impressed. I'm worried how injuries are going to affect Theis, Hayward and Irving.

It's preseason so it's best to....wait and see. 

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 11:16:42 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney

good points. i would add that his defense from last season was very good as well.

so, very good defense along with rebounding, but marred by crappy shooting? his ceiling would seem to be the 8th man in the rotation.

now, if he can learn to shoot three pointers the way he did in college (41.5%) then the celtics have something.
I was rooting for Semi's defense but to be real his team defense wasn't good and his wingspan will greatly limit his upside on D and Rebound , if he can put things together he can be a starter level player but otherwise will be a role player

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 11:18:41 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
For as many shots we missed in the 1st quarter we still put up 37 points.  That is very good sign considering we were going with our most likely rotation minus Smart.  Irving didn’t look rusty at all, and Rozier looks like an even improved player who got bigger. Baynes 3 point shooting is here to stay it looks like. Lol Hayward is missing some explosion. 

Semi proved last year he can shoot a little bit so  I’m not worried about his 0 for 7 from 3.  Plus when fully healthy he will only be getting spot minutes.  For me Yabu is my new tease player. You see flashes of being a good player, but don’t know if he can put it together. Morris looks a little slimmer, and maybe his knees are fully healthy.  You can see he will still fill a role even on this deep team.  You can see Williams has some very good raw talent. 

Horford looked like his all around good player, and Tatum and Brown show there is a lot to be excited about with them.

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
For as many shots we missed in the 1st quarter we still put up 37 points.  That is very good sign considering we were going with our most likely rotation minus Smart.  Irving didn’t look rusty at all, and Rozier looks like an even improved player who got bigger. Baynes 3 point shooting is here to stay it looks like. Lol Hayward is missing some explosion. 

Semi proved last year he can shoot a little bit so  I’m not worried about his 0 for 7 from 3.  Plus when fully healthy he will only be getting spot minutes.  For me Yabu is my new tease player. You see flashes of being a good player, but don’t know if he can put it together. Morris looks a little slimmer, and maybe his knees are fully healthy.  You can see he will still fill a role even on this deep team.  You can see Williams has some very good raw talent. 

Horford looked like his all around good player, and Tatum and Brown show there is a lot to be excited about with them.
I totally disagree on this point, he shot 32% from three and 27% from three in the playoffs, that's not good enough to get him much playing time. As of right now Semi can't shoot. He's young, maybe he can improve, but we haven't seen any signs of it yet. Currently his only role is to fill in when someone gets injured, eat up minutes in blow outs, and offer a change of pace on defense from time to time. As things stand now, he's simply not going to play very much.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 11:52:59 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I was impressed most by Williams. esp. considering he didn't look like the guy I heard all these bad things about. he looked engaged, seemed like he wanted to be out there and I believe saw him calling out switches or directing someone else where to go.

only thing I didn't like about Williams was him grabbing at his shorts not even a min into the 4th. I could see maybe 4 mins. into the qrtr. but they just came back from a huge commercial break because of the start of the 4th.

so maybe that's that bad motor we heard about or he just needs to work on that stamina.

Lemon was the other highlight for me.   

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 11:54:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
as a team they looked very rusty and not particularly engaged to my eye .  Playing pick up level ball.   they need more time together on the court .

I m so used to DA s busts with centers ,  i was almost shocked to see Williams playing like he knew what he was doing , even if it was early in the year .He got little help fro Semi and Yabu .   

If Williams can stay healthy , he might be very useful as backup for certain times maybe by the last part of the season.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 11:56:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
It is preseason.  I don’t expect Yabu, Semi and Wanamaker getting minutes in the regular season; unless is garbage time.

Semi needs to stop with the weights.  It disrupts his shooting

agree.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I totally disagree on this point, he shot 32% from three and 27% from three in the playoffs, that's not good enough to get him much playing time. As of right now Semi can't shoot. He's young, maybe he can improve, but we haven't seen any signs of it yet. Currently his only role is to fill in when someone gets injured, eat up minutes in blow outs, and offer a change of pace on defense from time to time. As things stand now, he's simply not going to play very much.

He started off the regular season completely terrible, but showed some signs towards the end of the regular season his last 18 games shooting 11 for 25 from deep.  First taste of playoffs so I won’t put too much stock in that.  There is some hope even though he looked awful last night.