Author Topic: Marquis Daniels?  (Read 2020 times)

Marquis Daniels?
« on: June 29, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I just saw that the Pacers are letting Marquis Daniels become a free agent.  I've only seen him in a handful of games, but he seems decent. 

Could he be the backup wing the Celtics are looking for?  Is he big enough?

Re: Marquis Daniels?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 03:40:28 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I think he could be decent if the money is right. His last contract was $6.86 mil. I dont know if he is looking to sign for more or less or about the same. The Pacers wouldnt pick up his $7.5 mil option, so im guessing he is gonna sign for less. if he would take $4-5 mil it would be worth it IMO
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Can he stay healthy? He's missed alot of time the last few years because of injuries. He's a pretty decent defender though.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:54:56 PM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
He cannot stay healthy. I don't know if it was the environment in Indiana or what, but he missed chunks of time last year with a variety of ailments.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 03:54:57 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I was surprised when I saw this on the ESPN homepage on the sidebar.  Didn't know Daniels was some big time NBA star that deserved front page attention... haha, must be a slow day.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 04:16:01 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Daniels wasn't worth as much as the contract Cuban gave him.  But at least he's better than Dahantay Jones

Marquis Daniels a Free Agent
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 04:22:45 PM »

Offline ScalPal

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Would be be willing to take the MLE to back up Ray?

Played pretty well last year, had some attitude and injury issues but may give some nice scoring and can handle a little off the bench.

****/

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 04:32:07 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
Yeah, I remember Daniels being one of the last big "What the?!" of Cuban's. 

But on a more sane contract, he seems like he'd be a good value. 

I don't know much about him, so I'm not sure of his injury history.  Are these normal injuries or is he just really fragile?

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 05:03:23 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Eh, he still wouldn't solve the backup small forward problem.

I think any wing player we sign in Free Adgency has to primarly play 3.  We already have House who can spell Ray Allen when need be.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
He'd be an ideal third guard.  Especially if we keep Eddie, he could be the PG on offense but cover the other team's better guard and let Eddie just shoot away.  He's basically Tony Allen with a functioning brain.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 05:40:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think Daniels would be a decent pickup for half of the MLE.  However, I would not throw the entire MLE at him. 

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 06:10:57 PM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think Daniels would be a decent pickup for half of the MLE.  However, I would not throw the entire MLE at him. 
I 100% agree with you, and I also don't think the Celtics should jump at the first free agents they can get. I understand they have jump when they can but look what happened with Moore, they didn't think Smith would be bought out and he was, not saying he would have came  here but he might have.
There are other more expensive FA I would like to see Wyc open his check book for, Gordon(if Ray was traded) or a SF.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 06:23:37 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I 100% agree with you, and I also don't think the Celtics should jump at the first free agents they can get. I understand they have jump when they can but look what happened with Moore, they didn't think Smith would be bought out and he was, not saying he would have came  here but he might have.
There are other more expensive FA I would like to see Wyc open his check book for, Gordon(if Ray was traded) or a SF.

True.

My feeling is that Danny will throw the full midlevel at big time talents like Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Marion, or Ron Artest and see if the bite.  When in all likelihood they don't, he'll then probably try to see how creative he can be in splitting the MLE and using the LLE to get 3 guys.