Author Topic: McDyess to DET not certain?  (Read 4201 times)

McDyess to DET not certain?
« on: June 28, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Re: McDyess to DET not certain?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Good news.  I'd love to have him. 

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Yeah, well, finally a news about McDyess and Detroit that makes sense... I don't understand he could even consider re-signing with Detroit if he wants to win a ring, which his first wish if I'm not mistaken. I know that he has strong bonds with the city and the team but after last season's failure I think it's time for him to move on. Plus, he wouldn't be a good fit for the Pistons since they are going to rebuild.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »

Offline SSFan V

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 177
IMHO - it's just his agent speaking - he's a Piston.
sometimes you have to bite your lip, exhale and move on.  So, I have.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 08:11:03 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Yeah, well, finally a news about McDyess and Detroit that makes sense... I don't understand he could even consider re-signing with Detroit if he wants to win a ring, which his first wish if I'm not mistaken. I know that he has strong bonds with the city and the team but after last season's failure I think it's time for him to move on. Plus, he wouldn't be a good fit for the Pistons since they are going to rebuild.

well they're not doing a traditional rebuild. If they, for instance, sign Boozer and Turkoglu they'd be good next season.

Stuckey
Rip
Turk
Prince
Boozer

Kwame Brown
Austin Daye
DaJuan Summers
Jerebko

they actually really need McDyess and should have the money to sign him.

the big question is how much he wants to go back there.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Hopefully we can pry him away! I'd be very happy if we add McDyess and Oberto to fortify the team down low. We'd just need a backup wing to spell Paul then.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 08:50:39 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
might be oberto, mcdyess and grant hill or dhantay jones as the 3...also sounds like giddens OR walker (not both) make the team

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 10:25:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
might be oberto, mcdyess and grant hill or dhantay jones as the 3...also sounds like giddens OR walker (not both) make the team
Sounds like a good plan to me. If we have that lineup, plus a resigned Baby/Powe I'd be happy.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 10:34:32 AM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154

well they're not doing a traditional rebuild. If they, for instance, sign Boozer and Turkoglu they'd be good next season.

Stuckey
Rip
Turk
Prince
Boozer

Kwame Brown
Austin Daye
DaJuan Summers
Jerebko

they actually really need McDyess and should have the money to sign him.

the big question is how much he wants to go back there.

Agree completely. It's a rebuild on the fly situation where they're looking to get back to contention immediately, just around some different veterans. I thought there were rumors that Detroit was talking to Ben Gordon rather than Turkoglu, but either way, there's a hole at center (Boozer is just not big enough to play center) that McDyess could fit well.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 10:56:02 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas

I'd be very, very happy if we landed Oberto, McDyess, and Hill.  If we got those three, I'd even be OK if Baby walked (though I'd prefer him back).  We'd pretty much cover all of our weaknesses with those moves. 

As for Giddens and Walker, I saw something about that, however I was wondering what was meant by it.  Did Danny/Doc (can't remember who said it) mean that one would be cut or did he mean that only one would make the active roster (with the other in the D-League)? 

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 12:40:15 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
IMHO - it's just his agent speaking - he's a Piston.

I don't think it makes sense financially for him or the Pistons for him to return.  If a team like Boston threw 2 years, $8 million at him on the first day of FA, I don't see how Detroit could compete with that, without giving up on their plan to try to bring in two near max players this summer.

Remember, Detroit does not have Bird rights, so they need to use their cap space to resign him. 

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 12:49:42 PM »

Offline toinewalka

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
Am I the only one that doesn't think Dice is a real good fit here?  I just feel like a Vet is overrated on a team run by three hall of famers.  We don't need any more experience, we need the best talent (Ariza was one of the staples in the Finals/Playoffs for the Lakers, not a Vet).  We need the best possible talent that we can bring in.  We aren't a terribly young team.  Dice just brings a corner/elbow jumper (which KG and BBD already have, and many FA big men can make).  Other than that, his game is below average at this point in his career at best.  He looked bad (granted all of DET did) last season.  I just don't see the fit.

I would be open to someone trying to explain it to me.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
Am I the only one that doesn't think Dice is a real good fit here?  I just feel like a Vet is overrated on a team run by three hall of famers.  We don't need any more experience, we need the best talent (Ariza was one of the staples in the Finals/Playoffs for the Lakers, not a Vet).  We need the best possible talent that we can bring in.  We aren't a terribly young team.  Dice just brings a corner/elbow jumper (which KG and BBD already have, and many FA big men can make).  Other than that, his game is below average at this point in his career at best.  He looked bad (granted all of DET did) last season.  I just don't see the fit.

I would be open to someone trying to explain it to me.

While I agree that perhaps he isn't the most talented big man on the market, I think there's a few variables that make him very appealing to the C's.

1) He's a pretty sure thing.  If given the minutes, he'll put up close a double double every night.  Could some guys on the FA market do better than that?  Maybe, but would it be as sure of a thing?

2) He has the size to play the 4 and 5.  Sure, he's a little undersized at the 5 at 6-9, but keep in mind that Perk's only 6-10 and that we've sported lineups with the 6-6 Powe or Davis trying to masquerade as centers before.  So I think at the 5 spot he'd definitely be an upgrade over Powe or Davis.

3) As a vet, the hope is that he comes in looking to do anything in his power to win a title like P.J. Brown did two years ago.  If you bring in a guy like Gortat who is much younger, he's got so much time left in the NBA that winning may not be quite as important.  He'd still be looking to carve out a name for himself and earn a bigger payday down the road.  You don't have to worry about that with Dice. 

Overall, I don't think that the C's need an game-changing talent off the bench to win next year they just need solid players who can play solid defense and will buy into the team game.  We know Dice can and has done those things.  Others haven't yet proven that or could get side-tracked with selfish things. 

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 01:42:09 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Doc doesn't seem to like having both Rondo and Perkins out there together at the end of games because they don't really spread the floor out. McDyess would be awesome in end of game situations with that jumpshot.

I actually would want McDyess more than Wallace because of the baggage that Wallace comes with. McDyess seems like a great guy that truly puts the team first.

I wonder what kind of money he will command? Is he a vet min guy? LLE? Tough to tell, but I think full MLE is too much.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 12:08:59 AM »

Offline victorycigar

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
McDyess is probably not a realistic option for the Celts.  He will command the full MLE.  More importantly, McDyess and Garnett have not got along real well in the past...I just don't think the two like each other very much.  Check out these quotes after a fight they had:

http://detroit-pistonsfans.blogspot.com/2007/12/detroit-news-boston-antonio-mcdyess-and.html

video of the actual "fight":
http://nba.fanhouse.com/2007/01/20/kevin-garnett-and-antonio-mcdyess-non-fight

not garnett's best moment.  pretty **** move to throw the ball at mcdyess and then run away like a girl.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:18:09 AM by victorycigar »