Author Topic: Potential backup point guard: Jason Williams  (Read 5209 times)

Re: Potential backup point guard: Jason Williams
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2009, 04:56:28 PM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Is Williams really an upgrade over Marbury?
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2009, 05:01:28 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
Personally, I'm least concerned about the backup PG spot.  While I was paranoid the past couple of years about Rondo's ability to handle the position full time, he clearly proved he can be a full time starter at this point.  And with his athleticism and youth, he can certainly play big minutes.  Thus, though I don't love House and Pruitt at the point, I could live with the two of them backing him up.  While House doesn't run a team well, he can manage in the regular season and handle the whopping 5-10 mpg he'll actually get backing up Rondo in the playoffs. 

So I'd certainly be open to Williams if he wants to come for the minimum.  He probably has more to offer than Pruitt and probably can't be any worse as a 3rd stringer.  And who knows, maybe he'll even beat House out. 

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2009, 05:06:34 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
We have just gone down that road with Marbury..an aging pg trying to make a comeback,to risky (imo).

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2009, 05:28:07 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I would still like to have Marbury as Option A for back-up PG and Williams as Option C or D.  The thing about Marbury is when we got him, we were all worried about attitude, defense, hogging the ball...

In the end, his problem was he seemed to have forgotten how to shoot.  Generally speaking, good shooters/scorers don't forget how to shoot/score.  I think it is very likely that his shooting will come back.  Maybe not all at once right at the beginning of the season but it will come back.

He may get other offers but in spite of the bad weather and night clubs, I think Boston has a good shot at him for reasonable money.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 05:37:33 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
williams is NOWHERE as good as marbury. williams will get the ball over half court without getting it stolen. that's it.i think we'd have a hard time finding a backup point guard worse than him right now.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 06:00:28 PM »

Offline vagrantwade

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'd prefer to see Marbury back just for the fact that he has already been with the team and spent time with them in the postseason. The least amount of changes we make, the better. Excluding big men.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 08:26:45 PM »

Offline timepiece33

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 78
We could use a backup C, SF, and PG. One is going to either come at a minimum salary, a trade, or young players.  I'd be OK with JW or Stephon at a minimum salary.