Author Topic: Anyone else sick of FIBA?  (Read 31252 times)

Re: Anyone else sick of FIBA?
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2010, 01:33:16 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I'm really hooked on the international game right now.  Over the last couple of weeks I have watched some great basketball with really good teams and players from all over the world.  I feel like hoops which has been steadily rising worldwide is starting to make a big push into a completely new level for the game we all love. 

I'm excited about this tournament and am putting my money on Turkey to knock off the US in the finals and take the title of World Champs.

As to the FIBA rules, I like that hand checking is legal, and I like that teams can play a true zone with no defensive 3 second rule.  I don't like that tapping the ball as it rolls around the rim is legal (although, this has never been an issue either way in my own personal playing experience).  It just doesn't seem fair to the little guys.  The trapezoidal lane seems relatively insignificant and is just kinda silly.  I lean towards being for the shorter three point line.  I believe it's somewhere in between the college and  NBA line, and that seems like a good compromise.

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2010, 02:34:10 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
DL...you are getting sucked into this ignorant thread. Ignore it....we all know its not hard to change the TV channel.

lol....ur so right!  tp.  im done and moving on.  thanks for the wake up call :)

Sorry. I am a

:D

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2010, 04:01:29 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
DL...you are getting sucked into this ignorant thread. Ignore it....we all know its not hard to change the TV channel.

lol....ur so right!  tp.  im done and moving on.  thanks for the wake up call :)

Sorry. I am a

You're a .jpg? I'm sorry to hear that.. I think they have pills for your condition now, though.

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2010, 04:05:45 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
@OP

So you want FIFA to "respect" the nba rules and adopt them cause bball is an american product and at the same time you refer to football as soccer????

BTW in england ,FOOTBALL`s birth place ,till 15-20 years ago the teams were allowed to have 2-3 players on the bench and could only do one sub. Unlike the rest of the world. I don`t remember them complaining.

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2010, 04:10:55 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I don't quite understand how anyone could be "sick" of FIBA ... unless of course someone is forcing you to watch it. Generally when someone is watching something that begins to annoy them, they just change the channel, and thus avoid reaching the point where they're "sick" of it. Just an idea.  ???
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2010, 06:51:52 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Sorry. I am a

You're a .jpg? I'm sorry to hear that.. I think they have pills for your condition now, though.

Hook me up!

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2010, 09:00:57 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I don't quite understand how anyone could be "sick" of FIBA ... unless of course someone is forcing you to watch it. Generally when someone is watching something that begins to annoy them, they just change the channel, and thus avoid reaching the point where they're "sick" of it. Just an idea.  ???

This is a silly arguement bahku. Or are you just talking down to me? Of course no ones making me watch it. I watched every game came away with an opinion of the international game and it's rules that probably is different then yours so I started a thread about it. It's that simple. Get over it. Or don't. I don't care. Childish shots like the above add nothing to the conversation. Just my opinion.

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2010, 09:05:18 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I don't quite understand how anyone could be "sick" of FIBA ... unless of course someone is forcing you to watch it. Generally when someone is watching something that begins to annoy them, they just change the channel, and thus avoid reaching the point where they're "sick" of it. Just an idea.  ???

This is a silly arguement bahku. Or are you just talking down to me? Of course no ones making me watch it. I watched every game came away with an opinion of the international game and it's rules that probably is different then yours so I started a thread about it. It's that simple. Get over it. Or don't. I don't care. Childish shots like the above add nothing to the conversation. Just my opinion.

It was meant light-heartedly ... sorry if you interpreted it as some kind of slam ... that's not my style, and never has been. I was merely saying, don't like it, don't watch it. TP as an olive branch ... accept it or not, no beligerance behind it at all. There were some intentionally negative things said by others, not sure why mine was singled out, but whatever ... I apologize.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2010, 09:24:54 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
@OP

So you want FIFA to "respect" the nba rules and adopt them cause bball is an american product and at the same time you refer to football as soccer????

BTW in england ,FOOTBALL`s birth place ,till 15-20 years ago the teams were allowed to have 2-3 players on the bench and could only do one sub. Unlike the rest of the world. I don`t remember them complaining.

You clearly didn't read all I wrote big guy. I don't know how many times I went out of my way to address it as "football" and how I kept explaining I was saying "soccer" so other people could understand in laymans terms ok. We know you call it football. Great. It's soccer over here still. And for quite a few reasons. We won't get into. But just go back and before addressing me actually try and read what I wrote guy.

The analogy your discussing is very minor compared to what it actually is for basketball. You dont see it because you don't deal with it in "football". Your best example was the subbing one guy instead of three? Are you serious? Look at all the rules between the international game of soccer or as you so call it "football" and it's all very similar. It hasn't changed much at all besides a few subs which is very minor but you need a pat on the back for excepting apparently. And then basketball where clearly lots if rules are very different. From the ball to the dimensions of the court. To how physical the play is. To traveling
calls.

A better example would be if FIFA said were taking away all penalty kicks. I'm pretty sure England would go nuts and rightfully so I might add. And also a lot of proletariat wouldn't even consider the game soccer or "football" anymore. That's how I feel watching the international game. That's the point I'm trying to make. I understand some like the rule variations. I respect that stance I just don't have the same one. And the United States should have the final say in creating all the rules for the world to follow because the game was created here. Just like how the game of "football" was created by the English and they had final say on the rules.

Is that really arrogant and out of line? Lots of people clearly think so. I don't however so I'll say it. I'm just calling it like it is. If England can dictate a game they invented why can't the U.S.?? And why shouldn't we be entitled to? Once again just my opinion. If yours differs we can agree to disagree. The shots and talking down are ridiculous cause as if now I'm the only one defending my point of view. I'm not gonna be intimidated or guilted into another view. I calls um how I sees um fellas sorry if you don't like it.

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2010, 09:27:59 AM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
I don't quite understand how anyone could be "sick" of FIBA ... unless of course someone is forcing you to watch it. Generally when someone is watching something that begins to annoy them, they just change the channel, and thus avoid reaching the point where they're "sick" of it. Just an idea.  ???

It was meant light-heartedly ... sorry if you interpreted it as some kind of slam ... that's not my style, and never has been. I was merely saying, don't like it, don't watch it. TP as an olive branch ... accept it or not, no beligerance behind it at all. There were some intentionally negative things said by others,
not sure why mine was singled out, but whatever ... I apologize.

I aologize as well bahku. It gets hard to defend yourself when you feel attacked from all angles. I couldn't tell your statements were light hearted so I'm sorry to single you out. Just trying to hang in there with my opinion although it's not a popular one with the majority.

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2010, 09:54:31 AM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
I'm really hooked on the international game right now.  Over the last couple of weeks I have watched some great basketball with really good teams and players from all over the world.  I feel like hoops which has been steadily rising worldwide is starting to make a big push into a completely new level for the game we all love. 

I'm excited about this tournament and am putting my money on Turkey to knock off the US in the finals and take the title of World Champs.

As to the FIBA rules, I like that hand checking is legal, and I like that teams can play a true zone with no defensive 3 second rule.  I don't like that tapping the ball as it rolls around the rim is legal (although, this has never been an issue either way in my own personal playing experience).  It just doesn't seem fair to the little guys.  The trapezoidal lane seems relatively insignificant and is just kinda silly.  I lean towards being for the shorter three point line.  I believe it's somewhere in between the college and  NBA line, and that seems like a good compromise.

Lol, you picked Turkey over the USA? I know they are the hosts of the tournament and all that, however, Kevin Durant has been playing phenomenally well recently and Team USA has survived quite a few close games to remain undefeated in this tournament, with only the semi-finals and finals (if they advance) left to play in. I for one am hoping that USA pulls through and silences all of the nay-sayers who feel that the USA has to field all of its NBA all-stars in order to have a chance at winning international basketball tournaments. FIBA has given guys like Stephen Curry, Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, Rudy Gay, Kevin Love and Kevin Durant (to name a few) a prime chance to display their basketball talents on an international stage. Also, Mike Krzyzewski is team USA's coach so I'm confident that USA has organized a talented and youthful squad capable of competing and placing well in this tournament. Go USA!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 10:26:59 AM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is the only warning.  Stop the petty name calling and flaming.

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Which sport has the same rules in all the leagues?

MLB.  AL has a DH.  NL does not.
College baseball allows metal bats.

Hockey.  NHL has a smaller ice rink then the international game. 

And the number 1 sport in the US (NFL) has different rules then the number 2 sport in the US (College Football)

Two feet vs. one foot inbounds.
Overtime rules.
replay rules.

Not to mention Canadian football and Arena Football

Why should basketball be any different?

Also, if the rules are set to hurt the most talented, why is the US still cruising?  Why do many find it uninteresting because the lack of drama that the US could lose at any moment?   

Switch to NBA rules, and the drama drops even more.

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton

And the number 1 sport in the US (NFL) has different rules then the number 2 sport in the US (College Football)

Overtime rules.

replay rules.

Also, if the rules are set to hurt the most talented, why is the US still cruising?  Why do many find it uninteresting because the lack of drama that the US could lose at any moment?   

Well I wouldn't say many. I'm clearly in the minority here. I just see it as what the NBA was in the late 70's early 80's. A time period that was marred by lots of brawls and physical altercations and led to for me anyways really ugly to watch basketball. Some like the real physical play. I personally like some physical play but stoping fast breaks with hip checks with no penalty such as a foul shot and the ball back doesn't make much sense to me. It detracts from the players who are actually skilled because in my opinion they are more easily neutralized by the physicality. I'd rather see the gorgeous finish then the ball taken out on the side. Just me tho.

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2010, 12:40:42 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592

Overtime rules.

replay rules.

Well I wouldn't say many. I'm clearly in the minority here. I just see it as what the NBA was in the late 70's early 80's. A time period that was marred by lots of brawls and physical altercations and led to for me anyways really ugly to watch basketball. Some like the real physical play. I personally like some physical play but stoping fast breaks with hip checks with no penalty such as a foul shot and the ball back doesn't make much sense to me. It detracts from the players who are actually skilled because in my opinion they are more easily neutralized by the physicality. I'd rather see the gorgeous finish then the ball taken out on the side. Just me tho.

The thing is you'd never see the gorgeous finish.  You'd see a player shooting 2 free throws and another player on the bench.

It's like how often do we see Perk or KG pick up 2 quick fouls and have to sit on the bench for the most of the rest of the half?  Does that really help the game?

Greece/Serbia brawl is a lot more entertaining than Kobe shooting 2 free throws and KG on the bench with 2 quick fouls.

And somebody pages ago complained about travel calls.  It's a shame when the refs actual call legit travels and don't let players get away with the extra steps  ::) If i had the time it would be 'cue the LeBron traveling clips now' and I'd post the clips lol.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:55:35 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class