Author Topic: starting to resemble last yrs team  (Read 4702 times)

Re: starting to resemble last yrs team
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2020, 04:57:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
DANNY must TRADE HAYWARD or Brad should BENCH him for his own good.
I'm sure that playing Semi or Javonte more would be wonderful.... ::)

He was great against Detroit, had a bad game shooting wise especially against the Bucks. He wasn't even forcing those 3s though, they were largely within the flow of the offense. I'm not surprised he seemed the one most effected by the back to back though given his sore foot which I think is still bothering him.
TP for two back to back great posts in this thread.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2020, 07:45:17 AM »

Offline ihatelakers

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  everyone has their own opinion on whats taking place,but if some of you don't believe the bench is a problem and marcus smart should be shooting more than 6 to 8 times a game then its obvious your not watching every game like some of us.

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2020, 08:31:57 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think both CBS and Ainge deserve some of the blame with their sticking to small ball all the time.   There are quite a few teams that really match up well with us and give us problems because of their size.   Small should be a tactical option not a team's sole strategy.   

The bench is thin and injury or not, the Hayward signing is not panning out as he is not playing like a max player.   I hope he proves me wrong.   I think our draft hurt us as well Langford is oft injured, Grant who is over hyped by folks here and the team is woefully undersized and under equiped to play small ball center unless it is certain matchups.

Last year's team we had a superstar.

We lack shooting.  There are only a few guys that I don't cringe when they shoot threes.   Tatum, Brown, Hayward and Walker.

That being said, this is my team and I support it, but surely folks can admit we have some flaws.   I root for us to win every game.

Lately though, there are nights  when you can tell we are going to lose from the get go in terms of our effort and attitude.  That should not be happening.   We are not good enough to pick up at the end and win every game.   Play with effort the whole game!

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2020, 08:42:13 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
This team doesn't consistently demonstrate the killer instinct they need to be successful late in the season. They're stagnant on offense FREQUENTLY and too often let a few bad possessions negatively impact entire quarters or games.

I also think the team doesn't need to totally give up on Hayward. If you watch Hayward during a game, he typically does three actions during a normal half-court offensive set: (1) Ball handles from the top of the key, and either shoots or distributes. (2) Wanders along the perimeter and occasionally is found for a catch-and-shoot opportunity. (3) Cuts backdoor and is given an easy bucket.

Rarely does #3 happen. And when his shot isn't falling early, I think he loses confidence in his ability to score. So he just sits in the corner and tries to distribute as best as he can. I put 80% of Hayward's shortcomings on him. But the fact that Tatum and Brown (and to a lesser extent Kemba) all fail to set Hayward up with easy buckets definitely doesn't help.

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2020, 08:55:52 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
This team doesn't consistently demonstrate the killer instinct they need to be successful late in the season. They're stagnant on offense FREQUENTLY and too often let a few bad possessions negatively impact entire quarters or games.

I also think the team doesn't need to totally give up on Hayward. If you watch Hayward during a game, he typically does three actions during a normal half-court offensive set: (1) Ball handles from the top of the key, and either shoots or distributes. (2) Wanders along the perimeter and occasionally is found for a catch-and-shoot opportunity. (3) Cuts backdoor and is given an easy bucket.

Rarely does #3 happen. And when his shot isn't falling early, I think he loses confidence in his ability to score. So he just sits in the corner and tries to distribute as best as he can. I put 80% of Hayward's shortcomings on him. But the fact that Tatum and Brown (and to a lesser extent Kemba) all fail to set Hayward up with easy buckets definitely doesn't help.

My least favorite brand of lacking killer instinct is being overly fancy either with a lead, or during a run to close a deficit...with resulting turnover.  At those moments I think hey, they're not taking this seriously enough.  KG would glare them into a hole for that type of carelessness with lead/momentum.

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2020, 02:10:07 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Same issue as always.  No bigs.  Since the Perkins trade Danny has done nothing to make that a priority. He’s passed over at least 3 quality bigs in the draft.  Two have become all stars.  The team is one dimensional and after awhile other teams figure them out.