Author Topic: Officially sick of Doc refusing to play the young guys  (Read 13080 times)

Re: Officially sick of Doc refusing to play the young guys
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 04:50:16 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
The guy tore up the D-League??

Have you seen the list of guys who have torn up the D-League??

Just about all of them are still sitting in the D-League or on the end of NBA benches not good enough to make NBA rotations around the league

Tearing up the D-League does not equate to viable NBA player.........EVER

Bill Walker has shown a capacity to miss put back dunks, play poor defense and make really stupid mistakes every time I have seen him play in the NBA

PLAYING YOUNG GUYS IS NOT THE SOLUTION TO THIS TEAMS PROBLEMS

Getting the players that are playing, regardless of age, to play better is the solution
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 04:51:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
This team is not, all of a sudden, go to a 11 man rotation just for the sake of playing the young guys.

They're in "win-now" mode and none of these young guys (I'm not considering TA a young guy) have illustrated to me that they can night-in, night out contribute to a championship caliber basketball team.

theyre "win now" mode has turned into a "win 3 quarters of the game and then lose in the 4th quarter" mode and you know what happens when you win 3/4 of a game and blow that lead in the 4th?? you lose and thats all we do lately.  I am not giving up on this team but either everyone needs to step their game way up cuz they simply arent cutting it or try something new. 
I still don't get it

Our young guys suck

How could playing them make things better yesterday

couldnt have possibly made things any worse could it??
If instead of winning the third quarter  because KG and Pierce werte playing we could have gotten outscored by 15 and not been in the game at the end of the game to win it

It could have made it much worse

Remember the game the other day where Doc through in Bill Walker and the bench and the Celtics lost 12 points in about 4 minutes

Well that was against the Clippers
what do you expect from a guy whose averaging 3.0 minutes per game. maybe if he got some legit playing time and didnt go into every game thinking hm theres a 1 in a million chance i play today hed be more prepared and interested.  The guy tore up the D-League which means he has potential

Just because a guy tears it up in the D-League doesn't mean he's ready to walk in and become a bonafide rotation player on a team contending for a title.  

Doc & these personel guys see these kids at practice every day and access their play when they are in garbage time.  We should have better trust of their judgment.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:39 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
You can't they all suck. Bill Walker has played well in garbage time.  ;D JR is another story. He isn't NBA material. Doc is just stubborn coach. He plays whoever he is comfortable with. But it doesn't hurt to experiment a little. I really hope Bill Walker can at least gets a chance. All it takes is one game.

It was Pruitt last season (who, btw, was cut from a... D-League roster), Giddens who was as good as Courtney Lee but didn't have the minutes to show it, Hudson who would show in Memphis how wrong Doc was, now Walker...

For all the talk about Walker being NBA-ready when he was drafted, everything I've seen in college, D-League and NBA is a wing who can't defend the perimeter, who has terrible handling, no advanced dribble moves and an inconsistent jump-shot. A 6'5'' power-forward.

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1680
You can't they all suck. Bill Walker has played well in garbage time.  ;D JR is another story. He isn't NBA material. Doc is just stubborn coach. He plays whoever he is comfortable with. But it doesn't hurt to experiment a little. I really hope Bill Walker can at least gets a chance. All it takes is one game.

It was Pruitt last season (who, btw, was cut from a... D-League roster), Giddens who was as good as Courtney Lee but didn't have the minutes to show it, Hudson who would show in Memphis how wrong Doc was, now Walker...

For all the talk about Walker being NBA-ready when he was drafted, everything I've seen in college, D-League and NBA is a wing who can't defend the perimeter, who has terrible handling, no advanced dribble moves and an inconsistent jump-shot. A 6'5'' power-forward.

Nobody thought he was NBA-ready coming out of college...

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 04:56:05 PM »

Offline threats13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37

Just about all of them are still sitting in the D-League or on the end of NBA benches not good enough to make NBA rotations around the league

Bill Walker has shown a capacity to miss put back dunks, play poor defense and make really stupid mistakes every time I have seen him play in the NBA

Getting the players that are playing, regardless of age, to play better is the solution

never said he was the savior for this team or that tearing up the D-League equates to an NBA ready player..but it shows that deep down the guy has potential, its the switch from D-League competition to NBA competition that he needs to learn, and that simply is not possible with 3 mpg
The NBA..where "this whole sport is a business and the referees decide games and David Stern is a snake and is only in this for the money" happens.

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 05:00:33 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

never said he was the savior for this team or that tearing up the D-League equates to an NBA ready player..but it shows that deep down the guy has potential, its the switch from D-League competition to NBA competition that he needs to learn, and that simply is not possible with 3 mpg

Whose minutes do you want replaced to put in Bill Walker?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
There are some D-League players that IMO are clearly better than Bill Walker right now:

Carlos Powell, Mike Harris (these two guys even share some similarities with Walker), Morris Almond, Cartier Martin - all of them would be more ready than Walker to contribute to a NBA team right now, I think, especially in terms of scoring/shooting. Not to mention a good defensive player like Othyus Jeffers.

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 05:04:44 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
What don't people get about young players

They learn to play and prove themselves to their coaches in practice, the weight room, shoot arounds, walk throughs, video rooms and testing to EARN playing time

They don't go to the D-League, play well and GET NBA time to learn the NBA game

They have to prove they know the plays, the defensive rotations, how to fight through screens and picks, how to double team and fall off into a proper rotations, proper offensive spacing, where to find the open man, how to run the break properly, whether he can rebound and box out properly, how to make the outlet pass, etc. etc. etc.

If they aren't doing or know how to do those things behind the scenes, what makes you think they will learn to do them at an NBA speed against professionals that will make them look silly

Walker failed in those three minutes not because he doesn't get more time but because he doesn't get it in practice

Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2010, 05:06:55 PM »

Offline threats13

• Brad Stevens

Whose minutes do you want replaced to put in Bill Walker?

if you read my original post youd notice that i never mentioned bill walker once so my arguing in favor of bill walker is because people felt the need to bring him up.  My main gripe is that TA needs to be playing a 2 half role..one that involves him playing 6-8 minutes in the first half and 6-8 in the second half EVERY GAME not once in a blue moon.  My argument in favor of Bill Walker is solely because I think the guy needs a legit chance before, like everyone on this site loves to do, making a quick assumption that he "sucks".  Unless I see a guy play consistent minutes I will never ever say he sucks.  IMO the NBA is an oppurtunistic league as are many other sports and the guys that get the legit shots are the guys that stick around the longest.  Those who get snubbed and labeled as "sucking" early on usually fade out before really gettin a chance to prove they can play NBA ball
The NBA..where "this whole sport is a business and the referees decide games and David Stern is a snake and is only in this for the money" happens.

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2010, 05:10:51 PM »

Offline buellj814

• Al Horford
i have had strong feelings on this subject in the past and they remain the simple fact of the matter is that our youngs guys which currently is down to one guy just isn't good enough... and tony allen is not a young guy not even close actually in fact hes three years older than perk.. Simply there are no talented young guys to play

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »

Offline threats13

• Brad Stevens
just to clear this up Tony Allen has played 5,754 minutes over 6 seasons..there are 25 players born in 1982 that have played more minutes than him, 14 of which have played more than two times the amount of minutes hes played. So if you were to ask me he has some pretty young legs

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 05:24:37 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
just to clear this up Tony Allen has played 5,754 minutes over 6 seasons..there are 25 players born in 1982 that have played more minutes than him, 14 of which have played more than two times the amount of minutes hes played. So if you were to ask me he has some pretty young legs
And two major knee surgeries say his legs aren't that young
Pick 2 Knicks

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 05:26:20 PM »

Offline threats13

• Brad Stevens
looked pretty [dang] young to me yesterday when he was taking the Lakers to town

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 05:29:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
And two major knee surgeries say his legs aren't that young
Yeah that's like saying Bill Walton had young feet

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2010, 05:31:43 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
Threats- I'd like to agree with you because that is Doc's habit, but I'm not very impressed with the current "young guys" on the roster.
I do agree with your point about the pace slowing to a crawl in the fourth period. It sucks, and it's playing not to lose, and it's usually disastrous. Like Tommy says- "Attack!"