Author Topic: What annoys me right now about Doc Rivers. (not a fire Doc or blame Doc thread)  (Read 8827 times)

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Last try on this. In another thread you were complaining about Rondo dribbling around aimlessly. Often this is becase the play the Celts are running involves the pg waiting for Ray to cut past some screens to try and get open. If he does Rondo gets the ball to him. If he doesn't they do something else. While he does often run off of screens it's not always the case that the team's waiting for Ray to get free, and it's not always the case that Rondo's "dribbling around aimlessly" while Ray runs past screens.

Yeah, I know the difference. Sometimes, Rondo dribbles too much and aimlessly.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Last try on this. In another thread you were complaining about Rondo dribbling around aimlessly. Often this is becase the play the Celts are running involves the pg waiting for Ray to cut past some screens to try and get open. If he does Rondo gets the ball to him. If he doesn't they do something else. While he does often run off of screens it's not always the case that the team's waiting for Ray to get free, and it's not always the case that Rondo's "dribbling around aimlessly" while Ray runs past screens.

Yeah, I know the difference.

Glad to know, not sure why it took you so long to admit it.

Offline chicagogreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 30
The idea that it is not about the other team but about us - hearing that is driving me nutso.  

I can understand that idea earlier in the year when I teased my chicago friends that we should just cancel the season and give us the trophy, that there was really no point to it.  I can understand that when getting over minor bumps, injuries, losing 2 of 3, knowing the team is championship caliber, but this?  Losing what 11 of 17?  The idea that it is about us and not the other team is just arrogant.  I understand that part of the season is about getting better, maybe even taking a step back to take two forward, etc., but way too much seems to be about practice right now.  A little more respect for the very good players on other teams might be in order.  Why was ray allen on kobe instead of pierce?  When jamal crawford is getting hot, it is not good enough to treat him like just any player, it is not about us, it is about crawford going nuts, it is about dwight howard, and stephen jackson, and baron davis, and kaman, and any number of other really good players that we, that Doc, treated like just some guys, like a practice squad for us.  I think we are good enough to beat all these guys, but not with that lack of respect.  And even if our players share some of the blame, like when they were taunting but not gaurding Indiana's swing man, whats his name, jones?  It all starts with doc talking about how it is us not them, refusing to double, which out disciplined and educated defense is very very good at by the way, they help rotate and get back wonderfully, more of that use that strength, identify and fight against theirs, nobody can gaurd great offensive players one on one, get over yourselves and double.

Oh, and next time somebody isn't rebounding, yank them, immediately.  Treat that like the only thing that matters for playing time.  Its time for Doc to get a bit mean on the energy front.    

Offline scoop

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Yeah, I know the difference.

Glad to know, not sure why it took you so long to admit it.

To admit what? That the team puts up some off-the-ball action for Ray, a backscreen here, staggered screens there, a baseline screen after a pindown, etc.? I've said this happens very early, look up a few threads above. I still fail to see what's the point you're trying to make (that Rondo doesn't dribble aimlessly because there's off-the-ball action going on? Nah, it can't be, it would be too bizarre) though.

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Scoop, you can't look that detailed into the +/- information.  I'm pretty sure you're one of the BBD fans on this site, and based upon last year's stats one would convincingly have to conclude that Scalabrine should be taking all of Davis' minutes.  Is this what you'd suggest too?

As I've said, I dont' put much faith into on/off court information. Please re-read my previous post.

Yes, I actually defended many times last season that Scalabrine should be playing more - before Doc eventually started playing him more.

I think Glen Davis is a very flawed 3rd big and a competent 4th big - but not a good fit as the 4th big for the Celtics team as currently constructed (I was hoping we would sign Ben Wallace instead of Davis). I'm not sure if this makes me a fan of him - generally, I tend to care very little for individual players in those terms.

Ok.  We are on the same page then regarding Davis.  I didn't put a ton of stock in the stats, but they did match what my eyes saw last season (and to an extent this season).  Unfortunately for Davis, he isn't a very good fit for this team.